Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ldo58 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I'm trying to reconstruct how Shadowheart came into possession of the artefact. And then got abdcuted by the mindflayers, but managed to hide it on her person during captivity on the Nautiloid, whereas the Githyanki and the Absolutists knew that it was there, so they went looking for survivors of the crash.

This is what I know and where things seem to be missing or contradictory. It's already obvious (from another thread in this forum) that I missed some dialogue with Shadowheart over the artefact. I put a [?] on these plotholes. Maybe some players have obtained info in the game that I missed and together we can reconstruct the story. Obviously this is all one great big spoiler.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. The 3 chosen start their plan to enslave the elder brain under Moonrise towers. It is likely that during their research, they learned of the existence of a Githyanki artefact that can block the elder brain, and so they try to find it.

2. The emperor knows about the plan of the 3 and finds the artefact and can enter it, ending up with Orpheus and his guard on the Astral plane. Somehow he manages to survive any hostility from them. Where the artefact is at that moment, is unknown to me. [?]

3. The absolutists are meanwhile also looking for the artefact, as it could disrupt their plan.

4. Viconia investigates the cult of the Absolute and also wants the artefact. She only knows the absolutists are scared of it and that they want it badly, and therefore she wants it also as she wants to defeat the cult.

5. Several Shar commando's are sent out to search and seize the artefact. Shadowheart is one of them.

6. Somehow Shadowheart obtains it. Where ? How did she manage ? Was this before or after the emperor entered ? [?]

7. The Gith'yanki know that the stolen artefact is on that particular Nautiloid and follow it through all the planes to retrieve it. How did they know it, and why couldn't they prevent SH from obtaining it previously [?]

8. The Nautiloid crashes not far from Baldur's Gate, near one of the Absolute's HQ's. The emperor can save the lives of our party members from the crash. He decides he will work with all of you to defeat the absolute, although it is up to Tav to find the others wherever they are and assemble them in a party. [?] Luckily Tav can do this thanks to the telepathic gift from the tadpole

9. The Gith'yanki found the crashed Nautiloid, but not the artefact, though they have clues that there were survivors and now go on the hunt for these.

10. The absolutists also learn somehow that the artefact was on that ship and that there were survivors and hunt for them. [?]

11. At one point, close to the goblin camp, there is a "mental/psionic" contact between the party and the 3 chosen. The artefact protects the party and breaks the contact.

12. Yet, at Moonrise Towers, Ketheric, who was among the 3 that confronted the party doesn't know that they are the ones that have it when they first meet. [?]

13. After defeating Ketheric Thorm everyone knows that your party has the artefact.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm curious what you think of this and if you would amend some points or fill in blanks.

enthusiast
enthusiast
2. As I understood it, the Emperor was part of the chosen 3 plan to obtain the artifact. He had been returned to the elder brain by Gortash and was sent to retrieve it. I think it was only on contact with it that he was able to break free again. It's also possible that this was subtle manipulation by the elder brain to ensure that a previously independent mindflayer was part of the mission to throw a spanner in their works.

I'm not clear on who actually nicked it from the Githyank? The Absolute or the Sharians? Or why it was just left next to Shadowhearts pod if it was the main objective of that Nautiloid. Also Shadwheart's complete memory blank is a bit weird. She wasn't just a courier who could reasonably know nothing, but part of the mission to find it. She should at least remember what she did on the mission, right?

It seems to make most sense to me if the Absolute, including the Emperor got it first, and Emperor was freed and able to enter it, then Sharian's got to them, and were captured. I think.

Last edited by Dagless; 27/11/23 03:46 PM.
**WARNING Massive plot spoilers

I broke into ALL the high security vaults at the Counting House (lol).

One of the vaults belonged to Gortash. He wrote a memoir called: "The Astral Prism Heist." In it he details how the dead 3 recruited the Emperor to help pilot the Nautiloid and steal the Astral Prism. I took a screenshot, so in Gortash's own words:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

7. The Gith'yanki know that the stolen artefact is on that particular Nautiloid and follow it through all the planes to retrieve it. How did they know it, and why couldn't they prevent SH from obtaining it previously [?]
I *believe* the Astral Prism was an exchange between Vlakkith and Raphael (or another Devil). At the end of Act 2, when Emperor asks for your help against the Githyanki Honor Guard, to the left of the portal is a gith disc. If you read it, this is what it says:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
I believe the "Devlish Man" is Raphael, and the "Regal Queen," is Vlakith. I *believe* Raphael gave Vlakith the astral prism, in exchange for the Orphic Hammer.

6. Somehow Shadowheart obtains it. Where ? How did she manage ? Was this before or after the emperor entered ? [?]
Shadowheart pockets the prism, in the same room where we free her in the prologue. I believe the Emperor is the Mindflayer who glances at us eye-to-eye in the prologue and then levitates us to the ground.

I haven't found finite proof of why the Sharran's are after the astral prism. I skipped the rat quest in Act 2. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pops up with Viconia's diary.

Last edited by Lillith; 27/11/23 04:24 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
7.5: Why could the Gith track the Nautiloid to Avernus when it planeshifted (and originally also to the city it attacked) and follow it within seconds, but not when it went back to Faerun?

Last edited by Ixal; 27/11/23 04:27 PM.
7.5: Why could the Gith track the Nautiloid to Avernus when it planeshifted and follow it within seconds, but not when it went back to Faerun?
They could no longer track it in Faerun, because Emperor was inside the prism. He caused psionic disruption by using Orpeus' power, to disrupt the orders of the Absolute. Using Orpheus' powers is also the reason why our group never turns into Mindflayers.

Last edited by Lillith; 27/11/23 04:29 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I

Then they should not have been able to follow it to Avernus either.
Besides I don't think the Emperor caged Orpheus. How with the honor guard still there?
It also means the instant the cage was destroyed the party should have been swarmed by several dragons.

No idea what the Absolute has to do with it. Orpheus power is specifically to disrupt ilithid mind control. It has nothing to do with tracking.
And if the Gith couldn’t follow them, why where they at the bridge searching for the artifact?

Edit: Also, when Gortash knew that the artifact disrupted ilithid psionics and the tadpole, why did he specifically sent a tadpoled team to get it with none of them being able to handle it instead of baneite cultists?

Last edited by Ixal; 27/11/23 04:45 PM.
ldo58 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Wow, I did miss quite a bit it seems. Thanks a lot for clearing up some important points.

I haven't found finite proof of why the Sharran's are after the astral prism. I skipped the rat quest in Act 2. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pops up with Viconia's diary.
This, Viconia tells you when you descend under the house of grief and confront her. She says that she saw the cult of the absolute as a direct threat and competitor of the Shar cult. The absolute appealed to the desperate and lost, which was their own core-business. So she sought for a way to destroy the competing cult and had found out that they were looking for an artefactg which they considered a threat. She didn't know what it was, or how it worked, but decided to try to get it herself and once she had it in her possession, find out how to use it to destroy the absolutists.
So that is the "why". How they (Shadowheart) ultimately found and identified it is still a riddle.

Last edited by ldo58; 27/11/23 04:37 PM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Strewth. Was there anyone who didn't know about the "mysterious" artefact? think

V
V
When reading your other thread I got curious about the Shadowheart conversation near the créche and fired up a save game to check it out. The dialogue goes as follows:

Shadowheart: "I can't believe I'm actually venturing into a gith stronghold again - voluntarily. This had better pay off. [...] I've seen them at work before. I wasn't alone in my mission - all those who were sent with me were slain by githyanki blades. They must want that artefact back bdaly, if they're dispatching red dragons in puruit of it. But we cannot afford to lose it. I wish I'd never been sent on this mission. It had better be worth it."

Tav: "I'm curious about that, myself.

Shadowheart: "You'll have to live with that curiosity for now, I'm afraid. Let's just concentrate on ridding ourselves of these tadpoles. All will be revealed in due time. I hope."

In the Cloister of Sombre Embrace you can find a list with names of the people who were on the strike team and what their role was. So it seems that Shadowheart went into a creche with her strike team (sent out by Viconia) where they stole the artifact before she was tadpoled. She was hunted by the Githyanki and during her flight she somehow got snatched up by the Nautiloid and was tadpoled there. In proximity of the artifact the Emperor managed to break free from the Brain's influence and started following his own agenda.

(An interesting question is if our heroes were tadpoled by the Emperor before or after he broke free. We know Durge was the first to be tadpoled, but the others? Did he create his own strike team to do his dirty work? But I digress.)

ldo58 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
The conversation with Viconia

This now seems to imply that the Githyanki fought the Absolute over the artefact, and that both parties were so weakened (or busy) that Shadowheart could snatch it sneakily.
But that makes even less sense, if she was then caught and tadpoled on the Nautiloid.... unless indeed the emperor was also aiding behind the scenes, still as mindflayer on the nautiloid. Tadpoling Shadowheart and hiding the artefact on her.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
R
Two problems: The Emperor claims he was the first one to find the artifact. If that's true, the timeline makes even less sense. If he was lying, then that means that Shadowheart was tadpoled by mindflayers of the Absolute while in possession of the artifact.

The same artifact that freed the Emperor from the Absolute?

V
V
Originally Posted by ldo58

This now seems to imply that the Githyanki fought the Absolute over the artefact, and that both parties were so weakened (or busy) that Shadowheart could snatch it sneakily.
But that makes even less sense, if she was then caught and tadpoled on the Nautiloid.... unless indeed the emperor was also aiding behind the scenes, still as mindflayer on the nautiloid. Tadpoling Shadowheart and hiding the artefact on her.

What feels a bit strange here is that
the Githyanki knew that the artifact was on the Nautiloid but the Absolutists didn't. And yeah, I think the Emperor was aiding them from the start.

Originally Posted by Rahaya
Two problems: The Emperor claims he was the first one to find the artifact. If that's true, the timeline makes even less sense. If he was lying, then that means that Shadowheart was tadpoled by mindflayers of the Absolute while in possession of the artifact.

I'm pretty sure he was lying about that (which is just my gut feeling). Could you elaborate why you think SH must have been tadpoled by mindflayers of the absolute? I don't remember all the dialogues with the Emperor about the artifact.

I was more thinking along the lines of
the Emperor coming close to SH so the artifact could influence him enough to break free. She could have been put in a pod, but not been tadpoled yet. He breaks free, tadpoles her and the others because it'd make them easier to control/manipulate plus tadpoles give you superpowers according to him thus better pawns. Then he slipped into the artifact and hoped for the best.

T
addict
addict
T
To think that our early conversation would Create so Much Coments.. amazing Dude lol
Finally we are not alone..
Lets Dig Up some more Clues and Find the Truth.. lol

Like i told in the other Thread i always Felt that this Game Drop some Great Clues Here and There and if we managed to Dig all of then..
we will find the aswer we are looking For.

T
addict
addict
T
Was Shadow.. Yu can Have 1 convesation with her inside the Cresch..
When she tells yu a Little Bit More on How she get the artifact..
and that evrybody Dies in the quest and her its the only survivor..

During this conversation yu can even kinda Pressionate Her on Why Viconia/Mother Wanted the artifact so badly.. why he was important to Her..
But she dosent Know becouse of Wiped Memories..
She only Remembers that its what she has to do kind off.. Steal the artifact from the Cresch and Bring it Back to BG
(witch Cresch she went or Were it was.. dosent tell.)

i Beleave that the Moment she Scapes with the Stuff.. the Gith we saw at the Beggining were send behind Her with the artifact
the moment Vlakith got wind of the artifact is Missing..
(maybe she was Snachet afater finishing the Quest..)
Like she was already on her way Back but get Snatched by the Squids during Prolog.

T
addict
addict
T
That its pretty Possible for Vlakith.. she Knew about the artifact and with Her Powers.. Nowing were it was its not out of the possibilities..
she dosent know ho is caring bu she know were it is..
kinda she can Feel the Power that comes from the artifact..
(thats why she find yu so easy in the Act 3 at Camp when she Shows to Lae'zel and the Party telling us to Kill The Comet one Last Time..)
Like others in the Game kinda gave yu this Feeling.
(Demi Gods, Gods and Legendary Mithys can Feel this Kind Stuff.. thats pretty normal for Table Top Rules too.)

Last edited by Thorvic; 27/11/23 11:27 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Orpheus Was Locked Up by The First Vlakith as far as i Understood..
When His Mother Gave the Empire to the first Vlakith He Rebel..
then he Loose and got Jailed..
(but for the Tale he Died in the Hands of Voss.)

And something that never was Made Clear too even in Dungeons and Dragons.. Table Top..
is What Exacly Tiamat did with the Mother of Orpheus..
Becouse in the True Tale she went There to Make a Pact and then the Dragon Cames and Made the Vlakith stuff..
(What really Happened with his Mother is never tell.. its a Secret kept really dark till this day has more then 30 years this already bro. haha)

since i was Young and First Time got wind of this Stuff playing Table Top i always Wonder why..

Another Thing that i always Wonder its this.. in the Real Story.. Before Larian Made this Stuff of Orpheus and Comet Dude..
(its a Retcon this.. Like the Crown of Carsus..)

The Real Fight was against the Gith and the Githzerai..
(the Monk Giths peacefull ones Gith.)
Just Forgot the Name of the Dude ho was the Githzerai Rebel

Just a Personal Note..
The Crown of Karsus was not the way he Try to Take Mistra Place..
in the Original Tale before get Retcon for this Game..
Karsus Made the First One and Only 12 lvl Spell..
Karsus Avatar.. the spell to Become a GOD.
he would Steal the Power and the Domain of a God of his Choosing.. using this Spell..
(and his one and Only Mistake.. was to Choose the Wrong. God.)
if he went with another then Mistra.. i beleave he would Suceeed..
his mistake was in his Hubris he think he would be able to Control the Weave.. Such a Noob.
Like Gale ending..haha

Btw: Karsus is Not Trully Dead.. He become a Patreon in Table Top after the Fall for Locks.
Just Forgot the Name of the patreon But its Hin.. Trust me its Hin.. or what was Left of Hin..haha

Last edited by Thorvic; 27/11/23 11:48 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
I dont Beleave he was Really the First to Find the Artifact..
He maybe Think he was the First.. but i dont really beleave in that..

R
R
Originally Posted by Veranis
Originally Posted by ldo58

What feels a bit strange here is that
the Githyanki knew that the artifact was on the Nautiloid but the Absolutists didn't. And yeah, I think the Emperor was aiding them from the start.

Originally Posted by Rahaya

I'm pretty sure he was lying about that (which is just my gut feeling). Could you elaborate why you think SH must have been tadpoled by mindflayers of the absolute? I don't remember all the dialogues with the Emperor about the artifact.

I was more thinking along the lines of
the Emperor coming close to SH so the artifact could influence him enough to break free. She could have been put in a pod, but not been tadpoled yet. He breaks free, tadpoles her and the others because it'd make them easier to control/manipulate plus tadpoles give you superpowers according to him thus better pawns. Then he slipped into the artifact and hoped for the best.
Because the companions + the PC was on the ship? It doesn't make any sense if this was a completely random nautiloid operated by uninvolved mindflayers, because then the whole story thread about searching for information on the cult of the Absolute is a thing.

T
addict
addict
T
But in Table Top what they Did its Pretty Normal..
Mindflayers Kinda do this indeed..
they went and Steall People from Citys..
and sometimes hide Colonys inside this cities to Turn evrybody into Squid...
(like they Did with the Emperor.. when he tells yu about his Past.)

In the Underdark playing Table Top..
yu can Find Many colonies and the Drow and Duergar actually went against then all the Time..
(just give a Try on Mezonberanzza Stuff.. trust me the Underdark its Pretty amazing.)

and they Just Deep Down on doing this Kind stuff even Harder..
Becouse of the Failure that was the Grand Designe..
(the only Thing out of sense here in my opinion is the Ship. becouse since the Grand Designe like Olmellun tells yu.. He never saw one.. and indeed they are Pretty Rare to Find..)

Maybe its for increase the Stake in the Game but i never Understood How they Find that Ship even so that they are Mindflayers.. so they were some Colony From outside Earth ??
Becouse in Table Top the Gith and Squid People are all around the Planes and Other Planets..
(Like they are the Space Dudes from Dungeons and Dragons..)
Hence why the Ships and Flying Dragons.

Im not the Smartest Guy in the Roon when it Comes to True Lore.. But somethings i do Remember pretty Well
Becouse my Gm made me Eat the Tale for his Games.
(another Crazy Curiosity.. The Gith Teoretically were Humans Changed a Lot by the Squids with inbreed and stuff like that and turn into the Gith we know.)

Last edited by Thorvic; 28/11/23 12:03 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by Thorvic
But in Table Top what they Did its Pretty Normal..
Mindflayers Kinda do this indeed..
they went and Steall People from Citys..
and sometimes hide Colonys inside this cities to Turn evrybody into Squid...

In the Underdark playing Table Top..
yu can Find Many colonies and the Drow and Duergar actually went against then all the Time..
(just give a Try on Mezonberanzza Stuff.. trust me the Underdark its Pretty amazing.)

and they Just Deep Down on doing this Kind stuff even Harder..
Becouse of the Failure that was the Grand Designe..
(the only Thing out of sense here in my opinion is the Ship. becouse since the Grand Designe like Olmellun tells yu.. He never saw one.. and indeed they are Pretty Rare to Find..)

Maybe its for increase the Stake in the Game but i never Understood How they Find that Ship even so that they are Mindflayers.. so they were some Colony From outside Earth ??
Becouse in Table Top the Gith and Squid People are all around the Planes and Other Planets..
(Like they are the Space Dudes from Dungeons and Dragons..)
Hence why the Ships and Flying Dragons.
Yeah, but in this game, grabbing people to tadpole them was what the Absolute was doing, had been for a while, we're told are responsible, had the prism the Absolutionist were explicitly looking for aboard and in the other thread, I pointed out the coincidences bringing Baldur's Gate into all the people that survive the crash, etc. It could be a random nautiloid ship, but that just makes the plot holes WORSE, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard