Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Thank you so much <3 Speaking out about this has been hard as we are oftened belittled by the community that say we are hypocrites for not seeing Halsin's statement and actions like valid trauma response.

But the re is difference between response and then being healed. Halsin has been in a state of hypersexual trauma response for 200+ years,bid this is to be viewed as such. And then pushes it down, and makes light of the suffering.bin a time where we have focus on sex trafficking and male SA victims, I find the lack of attention here deeply disturbing. Especially since most of Astrarions is handled with such compassion.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Ever since I first read about the scene and Halsin's background in the Underdark, it made me speechless how such a topic could be handled in the way Larian did.
I have never been a victom of SA but I had friends who had gone through abuse and it the conversation with Halsin made me feel ill. I didnt knew how to react to that and the more people speak about this topic, the more I I assure you my full support on this topic.
Its not much, but I want your voices to be heard.

L
addict
addict
L
It reminded me of the 'funny' 'fanservice' parts from the Wheel of TIme series involving Matt Cauthon and his 'relationship' with Queen Tylin. (if you read the books, you know what I'm talking about)

And not in a good way.

Look, I know SA is a well established part of drow culture that's kinda hard to dance around. And I know that kinky bondage stuff has it's own campy appeal. But the part of Halsin's backstory just sorta drops out of nowhere...goes into waaay too much detail seemingly for...comedic effect? It doesn't really go anywhere or serve any purpose. It also steps into that really uncomfortable 'SA is funny/good/playful troupe if it happens to a man and/or the abuser is attractive' territory.

It's bizarre how Larian made pains to avoid the issue with Minthara at the goblin party where she respects your decision to not go with her remarkably well compared to Phaere in BG II, and how generally well they handled Asterion's own issues, but then the Halsin stuff just stands out like a sore thumb.

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I think I got similar (but lesser?) red flags about this when he mentioned it in one of my playthroughs, and I guess that owes to the ambiguity of the intention and presentation of this part of his backstory. It also feels like it is (or comes across as) an attempt to give players more reason to hate Drow, which feels disingenuous when a core part of this game is tackling racism (which it does well in some parts and poorly in others). I might have more thoughts on it if/when I get back to that scene, but I do think that even if it should be tweaked, his trauma response and some of his personality does make some sense for what he's been through.

Honestly, I'm surprised (both pleasantly and otherwise) by the response(s) to this subject. Also being a victim of abuse (not sexual, afaik) and having to deal with major pushback anywhere online about BG3's queer and fat implementation, it sparks hope but raises some eyebrows that the overall response was amenable to taking a second look at how Halsin/the game portrays his SA trauma as well as confessing your own.

stranger
stranger
Honestly I see where you are coming from but at the same time I do think it would not be right to remove his backstory just because not everyone can relate to/deal with trauma in the same way he does. or because people can get triggered.
Everyone deals with trauma differently and as time does not heal all wounds it often does help to process it and find coping mechanisms. Halsin is hundreds of years old and centuries past since the events occurred. He grew up, matured and "healed" from his trauma in the best way he could. But like everyone else he isn't perfect nor is the way he copes with it.

I don't see it as him mocking it or "Enjoying the trauma". But sometimes when traumatic events happen not all of it was bad. People in abusive relationships for example often have some happy memories to look back on. ( conscious or unconsciously) which is often why it is so hard for them to get out of the situation etc But we should not punish these people for having these feelings/memories. when they are discussing their trauma they have all the right to talk about that as well. Sometimes it can be even harder to talk about than the bad memories itself because people will judge them harshly for it. People often can/try to understand the pain but start to invalidate their trauma because it can't be "so bad" If you had "fun" as well. Or even go as far as saying they invalidate others trauma by talking about the fact that not all of it was horrible.

Speaking of the "good" is sometimes also done by people as a way to protect themselves. At times people make it seem less bad than it actually was to avoid shame or questions. But also to comfort themselves. Make themselves belief it wasn't so bad to make them feel better. Not saying that is a good thing to do but it is something that happens a lot so would not be a strange thing to add to a piece of dialog.

On top of that a lot of people deal with trauma the way he does and I am glad it's represented. It doesn't have to be done/discussed perfectly because not all stories and people are perfect. In real life these topics also get dealt with rather poorly at times sadly enough. Larian did a pretty good job of showing a range of different people, similar traumas/stories but different (trauma) responses. How you deal with trauma all depends on who you are, your environment, the help/support you got etc And there is not one right or wrong answer to it.

Many people who go through trauma learn how to talk about it in a "lighthearted" way. Sometimes as coping/as a shield sometimes because they healed enough to be able to do so. But being able to talk about it and heal doesn't mean it hasn't left traces and partially formed you into who you are today.

With SA for example some people become extremely avoidant while others become hyper sexual. Neither of these are necessarily good or bad. It just how one responds to what they went through. Some people even go back and forth between them. Some become exclusively monogamous others can no longer bind themselves. Just because you or I would not make the choices or say the things he says. Doesn't mean it's so horrible it has to be cut from the game. I do however agree that the timing of it is a bit off and rather unfortunate. A little heads up would have been nice and it could have been done at a different time or maybe even in a cut scene like astarions grave scene. (with or without the spice) I do like that they touch upon his backstory and it explains so much about him and his choices. But I do wish we got more of it. Maybe even finding the place in the underdark, finding a book or something to spark the conversation, get context. Being able to know how the story ended, tell him they were dead or something. Just more than we have right now because I agree that it feels rushed and out of the blue.

Lyricus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
While I appreciate the care you took to make this reply, I'm going to have to disagree on a lot of the points here unfortunately. The first of which is that it explains so much about him and his choices. I genuinely do not get the impression that Halsin was ever written this way until the push to make him a companion and the de-evolution of his character into a horny caricature in Act III. At no point does it feel like this backstory is even relevant to the rest of the character. I've heard the suggestion that he doesn't care because he's hundreds of years old before and it was a short time a long time ago. I was there when a man who must have been in his 60s called a hotline because of the Pennsylvania Catholic Church SA thing a few years ago and listened to him describe how it stayed with him all these years later. I have read plenty of books on SA, Human Trafficking, and United States Slave Narratives where SA was a topic. I'm struggling here to even put into words the ways the Halsin scene is so horribly different.

Larian did a great job with different characters showing the complexities of trauma. Karlach's internal struggle with the use of soul coins because she needs to believe it's okay as a coping mechanism. All of the cult indoctrination from both Lae'zel and Shadowheart. Astarion's whole deal. This particular one is the outlier. Part of it does have to do with the absolutely abysmal timing of the scene. A presumably emotionally intelligent, wise, centuries-old druid wouldn't choose such a bad time to discuss this.

I understand that you don't read it as being dismissive or jokey. As a male victim of SA, I am extremely tuned into the subtle and not-so-subtle ways people mock male victims. In the same way a guy may fail to notice misogynistic undertones to conversations because has not learned to listen for it, I feel like there are 'dogwhistles' for lack of a better term in this scene that some people might not be picking up on. It's frustrating because I don't feel like I have adequate tools to describe my point right now. I don't want to come off as harsh or combative or anything like that. I just want to be able to be understood.

Last edited by Lyricus; 17/10/23 02:15 AM.
Lyricus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I hope it's alright to post an update here, given that there has been some new information found through datamining:

Changed Dialogue for Drow Scene

I admit that this is... better. It certainly brings it down from mockery into something more sincerely handled. It seems to be enough for some people. I'm still uncomfortable, but I'm also still sort of processing it and gathering my feelings on it. I don't want to respond too rashly to fresh information without giving it full consideration. I'll probably just add an edit to this post to flesh out my thoughts unless others have more to add. Importantly, this is still just datamined and not guaranteed to be part of the final product.

N
addict
addict
N
How I wish for SH changes now regarding Halsin and maybe Mizora cheat reaction.

I'm glad that there are at least some changes in sight.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Like I said in the other thread, I am overall very happy with this update, with two concerns (which I'm sure will be addressed.) The most important thing here that I want to express is gratitude that Larian listened to us and worked so quickly to fix the scene. This did a lot in easing the hurt feelings i had after seeing this scene for the first time. it is far more than most game companies would have done.

That said, I do have some lingering concerns about the new updates to the scene, again, as I said in the other thread. Firstly, the way the player can talk to him is way too harsh, and I don't like that Halsin ends up apologizing for his own feelings about his own captivity. It is painfully in character for him, perhaps, but it makes me feel uncomfortable all the same. I think a better way for the player to address their concerns to Halsin would be in the form of questions: "that sounds traumatic. Do you need to talk about it?" "That sounds traumatic. Are you sure it isn't bothering you?" instead of what sounds like commands for Halsin to react differently.

Second... that line a Lolth Drow can give. It IS an amazing evil character dialogue, but I worry about it because Halsin responds so... almost like he doesn't realize the player just threatened to sell him back into slavery? Maybe it's meant to be a joke, but even THAT is horrible in a different way. I really hope this line is treated as the purely evil thing it is, with the appropriate consequences; Halsin should immediately break up with the player if romanced, and take a heavy loss of approval regardless (possibly with any other nearby companions disproving as well.) It definitely should not jump to the conversation node where Halsin thanks the player four counseling him. (I feel like that might have just been an oversight, but the idea of Halsin being threatened with being returned to sexual slavery and then going "thanks for letting me confide in you <3" is absurd). Basically- please give this line the weight it deserves, treat it like it is. Threatening a former sex slave with being returned to his captors, even if they are long dead, is such a purely evil thing and the companions need to act to the player the same way they would other such evil deeds.

But overall, I am so happy to see some things in this scene, which were what my own headcanons had been, more or less (along with a lot of Stockholm Syndrome). This man has been so stressed out by his Archdruidic duties that thinking of his days of slavery became a fantasy, not because he actually enjoyed any of it, but because the idea of not being responsible for anything was comforting. It sounds repulsive, but it is known to happen in real with people who have lost their freedom and agency, such as prisoners. So that explanation worked well enough for me. Then him talking to the player... god, Larian. Please let me take care of this cinnamon roll MORE. Let me hug him, wrap a blanket around his shoulders, and give him a steaming cup of soup. He needs and deserves it, and he has been without for over a hundred years. You can't do this to me. Let me CARE THE ELF please frown

Lyricus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by autistichalsin
But overall, I am so happy to see some things in this scene, which were what my own headcanons had been, more or less (along with a lot of Stockholm Syndrome). This man has been so stressed out by his Archdruidic duties that thinking of his days of slavery became a fantasy, not because he actually enjoyed any of it, but because the idea of not being responsible for anything was comforting. It sounds repulsive, but it is known to happen in real with people who have lost their freedom and agency, such as prisoners. So that explanation worked well enough for me.
Thanks for stopping by to discuss! Full disclosure I'm a bit sleep deprived so my thoughts might not be as coherent as I'd like. There's something still bothering me about the scene beyond the points you've mentioned, but I'm having difficulty verbalizing the feeling. In general, I agree with the points you made about your current concerns, especially concerning him breaking up if you choose the evil option.

I think I'm not reading the same things into the scene as you are, however, specifically in the passage I highlighted above. The part about feeling a sense of reverie towards his enslavement because he was not responsible for anything and that comforted him- that wasn't what I got from the conversation. I'm not even sure what he said to give that impression. I worry that perhaps some inference and headcanon are cushioning what the base text is on its own. As it currently stands I see some improvement but it still gives me pause.

The timing of the scene is still... pretty terrible if I'm honest. I hate that the conversation comes after the sexual encounter. The dialogue feels clumsy, too. The whole thing just feels narratively bizarre and off-putting. Honestly, I wish there were an option to tell Halsin to leave at the end of Act II. I apologize. Your username implies that you're pretty attached to the character so I don't want to speak too ill about this whole thing.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Lyricus
I think I'm not reading the same things into the scene as you are, however, specifically in the passage I highlighted above. The part about feeling a sense of reverie towards his enslavement because he was not responsible for anything and that comforted him- that wasn't what I got from the conversation. I'm not even sure what he said to give that impression. I worry that perhaps some inference and headcanon are cushioning what the base text is on its own. As it currently stands I see some improvement but it still gives me pause.

That's fine- you don't have to agree. I was just saying my perspective here. I have found that sometimes survivors of multiple traumas will, in the midst of their current one, romanticize the past one in their heads. It's a form of control-taking through mental narrative. If you don't see that in him, there's no law saying you have to agree or anything. You just wanted to know what I thought, and that is indeed what I thought. *Shrugs*

The timing of the scene is still... pretty terrible if I'm honest. I hate that the conversation comes after the sexual encounter. The dialogue feels clumsy, too. The whole thing just feels narratively bizarre and off-putting. Honestly, I wish there were an option to tell Halsin to leave at the end of Act II. I apologize. Your username implies that you're pretty attached to the character so I don't want to speak too ill about this whole thing.

In terms of narrative? It sucks it came after sex. But I find that to be a realistic thing. Don't want to say too much in case it smacks too much of headcanon, but I find it to be true to life in some ways. The dialogue options are clumsy at times, though, I agree. And as for telling him to leave, well, you may get your wish
with that new "it's me or her" ultimatum that's going to be added with Minthara.

I am very attached to the character but I don't think my interpretations are the be-all-end-all. Again, I posted here because you asked me to, I'm not going to be offended if you don't happen to agree with me on an issue here, lol. I'm more thick skinned than that.

Lyricus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for your patience. I tend to be overly cautious of people's feelings- especially online. And it's nice to get to talk about it, even if we don't agree. I can understand how you draw your conclusions, but I also feel like for a more general audience it may not be readily apparent. If that's the intended reading, I believe it should be made more apparent due to the sensitive nature of the topic. For example, someone may experience this interaction and only have the surface level interpretation that he's not terribly upset about it all. Since it's a topic (the specific intersection of male and SA victim) that is underrepresented in media, I feel like it can perpetuate harmful stereotypes about masculinity and victimhood and have a generally negative impact.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
That, I definitely agree with!

J
stranger
stranger
J
First of all, I think it's brave of you to come on here to express your concerns. I am not a man, but I grew up predominantly around boys and young men and that definitely gave me a unique window into the harmful ideas perpetrated between men and boys about SA. While I myself am a survivor too, again my voice in this conversation is only lent to amplify yours, which is arguably more important.

I got this scene yesterday and it also left a bad taste in my mouth. People use the argument of "well he is old and it was a long time ago"...

He spent 3 years
chained to the bedpost.

That sort of trauma does not just get better with time if you ignore it. And again I get that people respond differently and there are different trauma responses, but I do believe this should be addressed in that conversation, that this is not healthy. My hopes for the datamined dialogue is that it has not made this patch because it is a draft and will be further worked on. But it is some improvement!

I feel like Halsin with some work in how that revelation is addressed can become a source of healing to many in the same way Astarion is, but not by just joking about it and Tav just stands there like "alrighty then, if you say you enjoyed it!".

As a side note, I also hope we get a modification in the Astarion drow scene, where we can pass an insight check and stop it halfway through once we realise
he is disassociating
. Enthusiastic consent is generally already implemented in the game (you always have like 3 chances to back out before any intimacy scene, not to mention my Tav nodding to give permission for some acts during the scenes thrmself). I see no reason why there its just "welp, I guess I'm stuck doing that even though I noticed he is not enjoying himself".

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I know some will feel that this is too much "fanon" or "headcanon". But really, the differences in Astarion and Halsin's responses to sexual trauma are such perfect foils that I just can't believe it was ENTIRELY on accident. So here's the long analysis I wrote out about it, posted with the acknowledgement that few here are going to agree. But I wanted to share regardless.

When characters are foils, there are two components: first, there's a shared background, event, personality trait, etc. But how the characters act from then on are diametrically opposed, allowing us an insight into the various ways people can act or respond to one core "element". In this case, I would argue that Halsin and Astarion are meant to be foils in their responses to sexual slavery.

Both Astarion and Halsin were denied their freedom and agency, raped and abused. Both were very young when this happened; Astarion was in his 30s, which is before elves are considered to reach their majority, while Halsin's age wasn't specified, but he goes out of his way to mention "youth" many times. In other words- both were young enough for this to be a formative memory for them. Both carry deep traumas from their experiences. Both are incredibly physically attractive, and allude to or outright say that their looks played a part in their captivity; Astaron was used to seduce others for Cazador, while Halsin notes that his Drow captors "took an interest in him" and saw him "as a novelty"- most likely for his looks as much as for his race. Both were raped by people of high social status- Cazador a wealthy influential figure in Baldur's Gate, and Halsin's captors high-ranking Drow nobles. That is what they have in common.

But their responses to their traumas are complete opposites.

First, just the nature of how they express their traumas. Astarion is LOUD about it. He expresses it all openly; he is traumatized. And he knows he didn't deserve what happened to him.

Halsin buries it. He pretends it was no big deal. He victim-blames himself, saying it was his fault for being a "foolhardy young Druid" intent on seeing the Underdark.

Astarion despises Cazador; he wants revenge. He will do anything to get revenge on his abuser. This need for closure is the core of Astarion's entire arc, to the point that of all the scenarios I can think of where Astarion leaves, most of them involve his journey to kill Cazador.

Halsin has trauma bonds (also known as Stockholm Syndrome.) He speaks kindly of his captors even when describing their abuse. He says he feared for his life, but he "did some things that were less than necessary," making it sound like he was complicit in his own rape. He can't even bring himself to call them captors (except for one option in the new datamined dialogue), nor himself a sex slave; instead, he was something "between a guest, prisoner, and consort."

Astarion is (in most cases) ultimately allowed closure; he kills Cazador. In the bad path, he then joins the cycle of abuse by killing the other vampires; in good scenarios, he only kills Cazador, and then has a cathartic, tearful breakdown after.

Halsin never had (or seemed to want) that closure; he escaped while his captors were fighting another noble house, and his freedom was all he wanted. Whether his captors lived or not, he doesn't care.

Astarion is younger, and his trauma a shorter time ago, yet he has processed what happened more; he is both further ahead and further behind on his healing journey than Halsin.

Halsin is older, and his trauma longer ago, but he hasn't processed what happened to him; bouncing from trauma to trauma and being forced into a leadership role caused him to have to bury it. He is both further behind and further ahead on his healing journey than Astarion.

Astarion makes a point of avoiding intimacy; he only has a few exceptions with the player. (Ascended Astarion becomes much more confident, but that's a bit different.)

Halsin is incredibly sexually open. He enjoys sex of all kinds; he finds it comforting, the only way he can openly express his emotions after having to stay in control as Archdruid all the time.

Astarion dissociates during the Drow brothel orgy. He is miserable and uncomfortable, but doesn't regret it; he needed to take the step to explore his sexuality on his terms. Even if it triggered him, he still wanted the experience, and indeed, finding what one's triggers are is an important step for many survivors.

Halsin enjoys himself during the orgy, and even seems pleased after, but then he lets the cracks show, talking about how he was held as a slave. He enjoyed it during, but after, the thoughts started creeping in, as he was reminded of his captivity.

Astarion will respond to cruel player comments about Cazador with a massive hit in approval, and possibly breaking up with a romanced player, like when they say they have a kidnapping fantasy about him if he's kidnapped by the spawn.

Halsin, in the new dialogue options, doesn't seem to react that much even to cruel comments; when the player threatens to sell him back into slavery, all he has to say is, "you would be unwise to attempt it, trust me. In any case, the house of my captors is long-extinct." (Followed by him having an epiphany that they WERE his captors) He never gets angry at the player despite the absolute evil of this option; as with nearly every other mean thing the player says to him, he simply shrugs it off, clearly sad but brushing it off as always. Being the "bigger person", literally and metaphorically.

Astarion was left with scars all over his back, symbolizing how this is something he'll never break free from entirely.

Halsin was left with no scars, his only prominent being from an unrelated incident, symbolizing how much work he puts in to hide his traumas.

It's understated and perhaps unintentional, yes, but still there.

Lyricus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Juicebox1696
As a side note, I also hope we get a modification in the Astarion drow scene, where we can pass an insight check and stop it halfway through
HUGE agree with this. I wish we at least had an option about it. I don't mind that it happens, but it feels callous to pass the insight check and then just shrug and keep going.

I know some will feel that this is too much "fanon" or "headcanon". But really, the differences in Astarion and Halsin's responses to sexual trauma are such perfect foils that I just can't believe it was ENTIRELY on accident. So here's the long analysis I wrote out about it, posted with the acknowledgement that few here are going to agree. But I wanted to share regardless.
I don't mean to discourage you from having your interpretation and thank you for sharing. It's good to have a discussion about it. There are a few points I wanted to talk about in particular. Specifically:

Astarion makes a point of avoiding intimacy; he only has a few exceptions with the player. (Ascended Astarion becomes much more confident, but that's a bit different.)

Halsin is incredibly sexually open. He enjoys sex of all kinds; he finds it comforting, the only way he can openly express his emotions after having to stay in control as Archdruid all the time.
I don't think it's accurate to characterize Astarion as avoiding intimacy for the most part. He is not sex averse (only ever describing nonconsensual encounters negatively) and only temporarily avoids intimacy while re-examining his boundaries now that he's in a place to be able to do so. Once he's done with this self-examination (i.e. after his personal quest), he will conclude that he DOES want intimacy and sleep with a romanced player regardless of Ascension status. He will actually sleep with Lae'zel at the tiefling party under certain circumstances. Just because he has used sex as a tool or felt negatively toward nonconsensual sex doesn't mean he doesn't like sex. He just isn't only sex. Aside from the time when he's doing introspection, Astarion is hypersexual. Sure, it's a defense mechanism, but the argument is that Halsin's hypersexuality is also a trauma response so I think it's fair to point it out.

Honestly, I think the fact that Halsin's dialogue was changed for this scene indicates that they didn't really have a solid plan for it. They didn't consider the full implications of the scene. What I would give to just ask the author "why?" Why was it necessary to do this?

Because here's the thing- It's not hard to find male victims in media who downplay their sexual assault. That is basically the only archetype of male victim there is. There are a couple of ways women have been portrayed as victims, many of which are problematic or weird, but men only get the "bottle it up and downplay it" option. Many of the examples in books, when the writer even bothers to consider what happened an assault, are from romance or erotica books which bring their own set of sexualization and problems to the subject. Often it isn't even really treated as sexual assault- the author treated the Mat and Tylin section of the Wheel of Time books as a joke, and certain viewers of Midsommar thought Christian deserved to be murdered for "cheating" and generally being a bad boyfriend. Frequently, it will be brought up once or twice in the narrative, change nothing, and never be mentioned again. Fanfiction is an exception because it sometimes places male victims in the role of "sex averse damsel" which is itself a problematic trope typically reserved for female characters.

And the repressed, brought up exactly once in the narrative, downplaying, "lol it was sexy and I kinda liked it" pocket is exactly where Halsin fell. Even the revisions don't fully address the issue and it's just a short conversation. You could attribute plenty of things to it after the fact, but I personally don't trust that he was ever written with this in mind. I can completely see an author writing a hypersexual character with no sexual trauma needed and then throwing this in as a joke. Because male sexual assault is frequently a joke. I'm sure it's prevalent enough that I don't need to, but here's a good video with plenty of examples and analysis up to 2018 which was recent when this video was released: [Pop Culture Detective - Sexual Assault of Men Played for Laughs] To be clear, the underlying joke was that Halsin was a big dude who got assaulted, but also "haha sex slaves are kinky and sexy." And while the rewrite alleviates this, it doesn't fully solve the issue. It's just a lot to unpack and hard to untangle from the initial incarnation of the scene. It's why I really just don't understand the purpose of this narratively or why it has to remain included in the story.

Edit: Upon rewatching [Part 2] Is even more relevant and has a lot of well-explained and powerful lines, and I encourage a watch for anyone who is comfortable doing so.

Last edited by Lyricus; 11/11/23 04:01 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Now that I've made an account here, I just want to leave a reply saying I support the suggestions to give the scene and dialogue another look-over (which, going by data-mined content, they seem to be doing!) I've seen various people on other social media interpreting his dialogue as a trauma survivor downplaying what happened to him as coping mechanism, but to me I think that's a lot of headcanoning being taken too seriously. To me it just came across as a very jarring attempt at light-hearted sexual humor (because, yeah, sexual violence towards men is treated largely like a joke, or even a positive thing if the abuser is an attractive woman), which... is an unfortunate amount of Halsin's dialogue, in my opinion. Like after adding him as a long-term companion in response to fan feedback, the writer in charge of him couldn't think of anything else to write but jokes about how often he gets down.

I'm not against him having the backstory in any way (personally I am interested in the backstory and ways it could be explored if written with more tact and care), I just would like it to be treated as less of a joke, whatever that ends up entailing in terms of additional dialogue or rewriting dialogue. It seems like they're adding additional dialogue to give the joke more depth and examine it as an actual traumatic experience. I'm not gonna judge whether the writing for that dialogue is good or not, in my opinion at least, until a finalized version is live, though. And I do appreciate that writers at Larian DO see the feedback and player discomfort around this, and are re-examining how the joke came across. Not a lot of video game developers would bother or care enough to do that.

Last edited by druidofthestars; 20/11/23 05:04 AM.
Oh, I haven't seen this thread. Interesting.
First of all, I sympathise OP and people who had traumatic experience. I had no such experience, but I have people around me who had.
Concidering that this scene ended up being very controversial, I would also agree with people who would like it to be completely removed from the game. I have a feeling it was added as a joke, as something "spicy" to make Halsin look even more of a sex machine (in some way). Many people don't like the whole idea of overly sexualized Halsin at all, especially people who have seen Halsin's Early Access version and wanted this particular elf to be their companion and LI (for some reasons Larian decided to change him though his characted was already good. I have EA version right now and yes, Halsin was different).
About backstory... Well, Halsin should've had a backstory, an interesting and dramatic one. His story was intertwined with Thorm family, some pieces existed in EA like a debuff of his glaive, Sorrow which deals psycic damage each time the wielder deals damage (it is still in the game but has no debuff) and a note where he writes about Ketheric (it could've been found in the Grove's library). He could've had strong story, personal tragedy (originaly he was the one who killed Isobel, but we don't know how exactly it had happened), his connetcion with the plot of Act 2 could've been mych tighter and in the end Tav could've helped him to atone and live through it (which could be a nice start of their romance).

A
A
What can I say but that I agree with all of that. But it's probably too late and I can't imagine getting all that, as much as I would like to see it. (Prove me wrong, Larian, I double dog dare you.)

But the drow thing could certainly be fixed.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Recently I've seen people say that rather than the writing being improved, Halsin's Drow backstory should be removed entirely. This upsets me for two reasons: 1. I worry that Larian will actually do it, and 2. The reasons they give are often awful, saying that Halsin is "too respectable a character" to have had something "scandalous" like rape in his backstory (I shouldn't have to explain why that's awful) and very similar sentiments, "a wise Druid shouldn't have that in his story, it's OOC" as though rape is characterization and not an event that can happen to ANYONE. I like what Halsin represents- the idea of a survivor victim-blaming themself, a survivor who still happily enjoys sex (to counter the narrative that the only "good" rape victim swears off sex forever), a strong male survivor who was raped by women (and not being a South Park esque "nice" joke.) I want the scene to be adjusted to be more sensitive, yes, but i would be absolutely devastated if Halsin was removed as representation for survivors.

All the more so because when I bring that up, people say "you already have Astarion", but Halsin's story showed so many things that don't get shown in hardly any stories, let alone Astarion's. It is so rare to see a hypersexual survivor depicted in media without them being intensely slut shamed by the narrative- Halsin has been such a unique approach. I hope Larian fixes the scene instead of removing it. Like I said, I would be absolutely gutted if they did so. frown

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard