Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Seems like we'll need one of these now right?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

"Sometimes it's a good day to die and sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast" hehe

I made it like 3 and half hours on the first attempt - feels about right. Might have to come up with a new plan lol

Something tells me it's going to be a long winter, and a great time to take up ice sculpting! Like Groundhog Day meets DARK - Least I got you babe! heheh

Last edited by Black_Elk; 03/12/23 08:44 PM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
I made it 12 hours.

I was just a couple fights short of act 3. I got my second going, a durge, and now I'm glitched at Flind and gotta pray they fix it by tomorrow so I can keep going.

veteran
veteran
Does the ...ehm...taunting of a certain wannabe goddess count? My most hilarious death so far.
The other one was, when I accidently clicked to an ability in Gales UI ... you, know which one galehappy

Last edited by fylimar; 02/12/23 10:34 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Second Attempt made it just about 6 hours, when in our moment of "greatest need" Lump the Enlightened and his crew decided they were going to do absolutely nothing for 3 rounds, and then leave initiative mid-fight to totally screw us. They just watched while Ragzlin stomped us into oblivion? Should have known better than to trust an Ogre I guess!!! hehe

There were a number of honorable deaths time around...

Gurge tried to run Alfira off, before it was too late, but alas...

We swore an oath to the ancients that Alfira's death would not be in vain, so we made sure the Owlbear cub got the sanctuary, and rescue all the chickens.

We had already knocked out Minthara and everything! Curse you Lump! lol
We'll get you back next time!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm at 12 hours in on my third run currently, just made it the Monastery and decided to take a pause hehe.

Now I've got a whole backstory worked out in my head to explain the meta here, which involves Draconic time travel and a new spell I invented for the rationale called "the Eye of Punxsutawney."

My thinking is that I'll probably need to use make use of some Wither's Zombies to have any real chance of pulling this off.

Sina'zith is my new favorite hireling, so she's in the mix now doing her Monk thing - albeit with a different haircut since I sent her to the zombie stylist for that lol. My meta explanation is trying to account for that as well, with the brain jars we found on the Nautiloid being somehow connected maybe? I'll go with that, since it kinda works.

Tactically it seems advantageous for Durge/Gurge to play dele-gator and keep an eye on potential exit routes, so I'm keying off a 3 person party comp now, like especially if there are chasms, which is often the case.

I'll be interested to see how long I can keep this up, as the further I get the more nervous I become haha. Like I really just want to make it to Moonrise! Fingers crossed

Here were some highlights from yesterday... hehe

Taste it Lump!!!

We did our best to keep Alfira alive, but the fates had other plans there. I think someone was trying to pin the blame on Astarion, but we never got to the bottom of that mystery.

So far so good...

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The sting after 12 hours is pretty real. I died almost immediately upon arriving at the Creche, continued with dishonour for an hour then lost motivation and tried again.

Made it another 8 hours, and Gurge was feeling quite honorable again, even though we had to use Sina'zith for a flurry of blows that one time hehe... but then we got got on the Risen road! lol

Almost got Lump working proper, but this time they decided to raise the roof hehe. Heart attack inducing when Lae'zel got blasted off the rafters.

We gave up the mantle to save Alfira which was a highlight

Got insta merc'd by Githyanki again, after crit failing deception. Thought Karlach might pull something out, cause she was lagging behind encumbered. I got off the resurrection but then launched right back into initiative. Death my a million crossbows lol

Definitely tests the endurance. It'd be cool if our honorable dead could come back as zombies. Because then instead of the eternal return you could also imagine like the last attempt is a sort of spirit guide goon. Like the ones that visit Paulie in the Sopranos or something. That might be a fun touch

Last edited by Black_Elk; 04/12/23 07:15 AM.
old hand
old hand
Well. Becasue I played so reaaallly careful, it took ages to get past Act 1, too. But, because I looked in every nook an cranny - I discovered a whole bunch of things I had never seen before. And that includes the tower I was in where I got killed.

I'm on custom now, with the Honour Ruleset, triple resting cost and Single Save; so still no scumming. Taking my time, exploring my arse off. Having a blast with it again.

Originally Posted by Black_Elk
Definitely tests the endurance. It'd be cool if our honorable dead could come back as zombies.
"Satanic Black Magic! That's what this is you know, sick shit!"

[I always get excited over Paulie Walnuts]

Last edited by rodeolifant; 04/12/23 03:06 PM.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
No doubt! I'm totally doing the same. Just crossed the 20 hrs mark... Major Gurge goals achieved!!!

We can just live at the Last Light till the end of time now cause this pretty epic lol

It got super dicey at the Creche, Lae'zel just barely escaped with all our lives. Like just a complete panic sprint using the very last invisibility potion, came down to an action surge dash, straight heart attack caliber heheh. Withers is holding a pretty decent chunk of change these days, but it was totally worth it! I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up for another 20 hrs, but so far it's pretty entertaining thus far.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Well. Becasue I played so reaaallly careful, it took ages to get past Act 1, too. But, because I looked in every nook an cranny - I discovered a whole bunch of things I had never seen before. And that includes the tower I was in where I got killed.

I'm on custom now, with the Honour Ruleset, triple resting cost and Single Save; so still no scumming. Taking my time, exploring my arse off. Having a blast with it again.

Definitely tests the endurance. It'd be cool if our honorable dead could come back as zombies.
"Satanic Black Magic! That's what this is you know, sick shit!"

[I always get excited over Paulie Walnuts]

That was where I met my end too - hadn't died at all until that point (but came close...) - but of course I have been through this all before, so I think this was really more just out of curiosity.

The Death: I tried the pacifist approach in the arcane tower, wasn't prepared for combat (had burned quite some resources earlier), said the wrong thing, had multiple criticals on my party and huge zapping lightning..then dead. I don't have the energy (hah!) to restart ...but good luck to those of you who do hehe I am now done with BG - unless they release new content like a DLC.

On a side note: I didn't notice any changes to the action economy...which they hinted at.

old hand
old hand

I figured I'd go straight for this guy and take his sword, so I'd get lots of use out of it. Turns out, that dragon can fight. Again, I die to an overabundance of lightning, just like I did on my Gale run.

old hand
old hand

There was no more ground to stand on. I just needed ONE more turn for victory. This stings.

A
old hand
old hand
A
That is so bitter, but good job getting this far!

It got super dicey at the Creche, Lae'zel just barely escaped with all our lives.
The exact same thing happened to me on Tactician. I went in with Astarion, Gale, Karlach and Lae'Zel. My three melee characters all got downed in maybe the first 3 turns. I ended up killing the inquisitor and all the gith, using one very squishy Gale 8'D I wanted to long rest before going inside the prism, but the second we stepped outside, Lae'Zel attacked Gale, I straight up killed her and left her in Karlach's backpack the rest of the run.

Again, I die to an overabundance of lightning, just like I did on my Gale run.
In my two playthroughs on Balanced I always ended with only 1 character alive versus Ansur. On my tactician run, I killed Raphael first, grabbed his helldusk armor and the 23 constitution necklace, and that seems to help a lot with damage taken. I also made each character drink a "Lightning Resistance" potion and that negated a lot of the electrified water and lightning damage from the ground. I ended up with 3 characters alive with almost full health. He only managed to down (not dead) Shadowheart on the final hit, and she didn't really do much TBH.

There was no more ground to stand on. I just needed ONE more turn for victory. This stings.
If I got to the end and that's how I died, I think I might cry. I finished my tactician run the other night and they don't even let you long rest/regain spell slots AT ALL before the final battle. Wish I knew that before I used up all my level 3-4-5-6 spells *hrm*. I think I lucked out on the final battle. I rolled a Nat 20 (not re-rolled, not save scummed) on the difficulty 99 roll against the netherbrain at the docks, and when I got to the final battle, it had a purple debuff called "AGAINST ALL ODDS," and it reduced the brain's health and it was supposed to be over 400 but was over 330 instead.. I ended up killing the brain in 2 turns, but on Tactician it honestly looked like there were WAY more platforms disappearing. Like on balanced it looked like maybe 4 platforms, on Tactician it honestly looked like HALF the platforms were gone after the first turn. Honestly that death hurts.

Last edited by Lillith; 15/12/23 03:48 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Got burned a few more times, before finally settling into the zone hehe

Then about 120 Hrs and many many fireworks later...

Took no chances and the very very end.

Had to light em up! lol

Slay'zel! Truest Love!

Happy New Year!

Started my first honor last night. After hours of slow careful playing, finally reaching Druid grove. Can't resist to push the statue ... all tiefling die ...

Oh well, will try again later ...

veteran
veteran
So one happy day four adventurers came to Baldur's Gate to pick out their favorite dresses for world domination, but one of them got angry at the group for making a quick detour along the way, so she gave them no choice and had to be left behind. Unfortunately the adventures did not know that world domination required a 4-man party... so they got um... kicked out of the villain club. THE END!

Thanks Lae'zel for being a party pooper right before the final battle grin

I'm not even upset. Was my first ever blind playthrough of ACT 3 during which I accidentally lost the specific ending I was aiming for anyway, plus ACT 3 runs like absolute doggy poop so now I can happily skeddadle back to ACT 1 and enjoy some silky smooth 60FPS again grin

I died on my first Honour Mode run, after 61 hours, to Oliver.
I normally play games blind, so everything I discover, I try and find on my own.
I did NOT look up the new legendary actions, and it absolutely cost me this run.

What happened was, Oliver has a Legendary Action called "The Wasting Quiet (Condition)". My Tav and Shadowheart had two rings of the Wasting Quiet surrounding them. What this condition does, is it completely silences characters standing within the ring, AND does 3-24 necrotic damage every time they start or enter their turn inside the aura. This means that I could not misty step, or use any magic features to move myself out of the aura.

Had I looked this up beforehand, I would have absolutely drank necrotic resistance potions, disengaged both characters, and had them walk outside the ring. However, I wasn't metagaming and these characters don't know what this ability is, and neither did I. I let them stay in the ring, and that's when everything went downhill. Both characters got surrounded by Oliver's clones, at the beginning of their turn, both characters were downed. Halsin was already in Owlbear form, and was taking care of the shadow wraiths, however because he was transformed, he was unable to throw a healing potion at my downed characters. Even if he had, they would have started their turn inside the aura, and they would have died anyways. I had Gale use a revival scroll, and resurrect a character outside of the aura, but the resurrected character only had 1HP, which was immediately killed off by all the shadow Olivers running around.

I'm not even sad about the run coming to an end, Oliver got me fair and square. I'm glad knowing I died because it was my own fault. Better this than a game-ending bug smile

I have to admit, this run forced me to do so many things I never would have otherwised considered. I found that I absolutely love Shadowheart as a Life Domain cleric. I stacked so much healing equipment on her, even "5 HP heals" became "25HP heals." In balanced and tactician, things like Sanctuary or Death Ward, I didn't use; on Honour mode, these skills could mean the difference between winning or losing. Had a blast on this run, but I feel really sad losing my character, I was rather attached to her TT^TT

Last edited by Lillith; 11/01/24 02:23 PM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Hi, I completed my first Honour Mode run a couple of days ago (Saturday) having [only] skipped fighting : Ansur; Mystic Carrion; and that big fight on the way to the top of the Brain

I was died once to a Hook Horror in Act I and Lae'zel missed her jump and died falling in a hole in the Hags lair in Act 3

I used lots of Tadpoles; Explosives; stole potions, arrows, and scrolls; and used the Hirelings - none which (of course) didn't prevent me blundering again and again and again !

Intended to recruit Minthara. After Hold Person failed , tried to be smart and aimed to get her HP down to really low level before knocking her unconscious (she can really smite) . Almost did it, then allowed Astarion to take a shot at her with a hand crossbow. Duh !! (slap head) Max damage. Exit Minthara.

After Rolan left the Last Light Inn, despite knowing exactly where to find him and having a plan of what to do, I forgot the plan, then failed to reach him in time. Ended up picking him up and sticking him in a box at camp. Tried (unsuccessfully) for the rest of the game to find a way resurrect him !

Almost lost Gale while avoiding that big fight before we climb up to the top of the Brain. Used Invisibility on him to fly him past the guards. All good 'til invisibility wore off, he was immediately targeted, and every enemy heads towards him. Managed to get him up on a wooden platform. at which point he froze, frightened (fortunately under a Globe of Invulnerability) within sight of escape. Threw down Haste spores which cleared the fear ?!! and briefly got away, only for him to be surrounded by Mindflayer's (queue another Globe of Invulnerability) .. then finally slipped away ... making it to the base of the brain ...

Then almost TPK. All party + Orpheus climb up to the brain invisible accompanied by summoned allies. Had a plan, a great plan. Then (again) forgot the plan. New plan. Party all heads directly to the Crown (invisible). Summons stay put to draw in the enemy. Karlach and Orpheus make it to the Crown ahead of the rest of the party ... (Hurrah !) and then become visible (Aggh!) . Mindflayers kick off. Both Karlach and Orpheus are stunned or incapacitated. Orpheus is wiped down to 10HP, and finally I get another Globe going, in the nick of time with my Bard/Archer (Gale having been counterspelled) and we are surrounded by enemies.

At this point I shut the game down and just walked away.

Link Copied to Clipboard