Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#903386 26/09/23 02:33 AM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
So I made an account just to post on here about how disappointed I am with Halsin's romance story and his overall standing within the game.

I'm currently in Act 3 with well over 70hrs put into this game now and I've of course been deep diving the web to see if it's just me who loves Halsin, but wishes he had more to him. While doing that I of course came across spoilers that have me so not wanting to finish the game.

Apparently no matter how close you and Halsin are in the end he leaves you to pursue what he feels is his next path. You have ZERO option to ask him to stay or even offer to come with him. When I found that out I just went into a Halsin deep dive and I slowly realized more and more how unfinished he feels. A few of the biggest let downs:

- One I noticed before going on that deep dive is that my character is a Drow but Halsin had no specific dialog or care about it, which didn't matter until Act 3 where I found out after a night with 2 Drows that he has a WILD and superrr traumatic story about being enslaved for years by Drows. He then proceeds to just push right on past it saying "It wasn't all bad" and basically the whole conversation seemed to imply he was a sex slave? I find it absolutely crazy that nothing was added in his dialog to react to that if you're a Drow talking to him or even some way to try and dig deeper into it. I feel like that could have definitely become a quest in the Underdark if written a different way.

- Another thing is his whole Polyamorous vibe which just keeps feeling wrong. He says things like my character is all he needs, he calls me his heart and "all the right things" that make it seem like I'm such an important person in his life. With that being said I was totally okay with it because I really do love the idea of being with Halsin, but at the same time where does being poly or in an open relationship mean you can't make it official or stay together at the end. I understand he is going to follow his path, but why couldn't qe as the main character choose to help him on that path?

- Romance aside I've also been struggling with how little he truly involves himself in the game. It took 2 Acts for this man to truly integrate himself within the group and even after he did he no longer has any story or quest line once the curse has been lifted and Thaniel is safe. He is literally just there and since being in Baldur's Gate he's only made one comment about the refugees. He's been alive for so long, had so many lovers, was a leader in the Grove, was obviously tied somehow to how the curse started or even the beginning of it in Shadowfell, the fact that he'd been studying the tadpole issue and so much more could have allowed for him to have a much deeper story line. I wish we could delve more into his background, ask him more questions and be able to respond to more of what he says. (Maybe back a lil with the romance) But also the fact that he goes straight to sex - the bear scene was hilarious and amazing don't get me wrong - instead of maybe a scene with us spending time with animals or out in the forest appreciating nature first. I've just in general been let down with how much he seems to just be an extra who was shoved in - which based off what I read seems to be the case.

I've been scouring the internet to see if maybe there will be updates to his story in patches, any DLC or a definitive edition that might allow an update for him. So far I've seen a lot of possibly or possibly nota and one post where there was a comment about the concerns with Halsin being noticed so maybe a change will be made. Fingers crossed and we will see. Hopefully this extra thread talking about it will bring the concerns even more to light.

Last edited by CrayonzO_o; 26/09/23 02:36 AM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by CrayonzO_o
-
One I noticed before going on that deep dive is that my character is a Drow but Halsin had no specific dialog or care about it, which didn't matter until Act 3 where I found out after a night with 2 Drows that he has a WILD and superrr traumatic story about being enslaved for years by Drows. He then proceeds to just push right on past it saying "It wasn't all bad" and basically the whole conversation seemed to imply he was a sex slave? I find it absolutely crazy that nothing was added in his dialog to react to that if you're a Drow talking to him or even some way to try and dig deeper into it. I feel like that could have definitely become a quest in the Underdark if written a different way.

Honestly this might be a bug, you're one of many I've seen say this but there was a dialogue in act 2 in one of my playthroughs where he did mention it in passing. I've never taken him to see the twins either. It was at the camp just clicking through his dialogue questions/options. I was also playing a drow (lolth). Let me see tomorrow if I can find the right save file for it and grab a ss.

Last edited by Neferpitou; 26/09/23 02:53 AM.
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Really? Okay well wow, because when I found out the story about Drows I truly was kind of blown away that it just never came up with me being a Drow prior to that twin scene.

Last edited by CrayonzO_o; 26/09/23 03:10 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Being a drow seems to come up a lot less than expected in a lot of places in general than I expected from how much the game reacted to it in EA/Act I.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Being a drow seems to come up a lot less than expected in a lot of places in general than I expected from how much the game reacted to it in EA/Act I.
All reactions pretty much vanish in act 3.
Drow are one of the only races that still have reactions at all.

veteran
veteran
There is a thread about that right at the top of this side - maybe take a look there:

Klick

Last edited by fylimar; 26/09/23 08:36 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Yes we have another thread discussing all of our disappointments in Halsin's character arc and romance.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I did see that thread as well. I was looking through it and it seemed very romance based so I created another thread to add extra feedback on that as well as Halsin's story in general. There are about 20+ pages of responses so I haven't gone through them all.

veteran
veteran
I did see that thread as well. I was looking through it and it seemed very romance based so I created another thread to add extra feedback on that as well as Halsin's story in general. There are about 20+ pages of responses so I haven't gone through them all.

I don't want to romance Halsin either and have general problems with him - mostly him being really creepy in act 3 and not having a purpose to be there with having no story at all - unlike for example Barcus Wroot, who would have made a much better companion in hindsight. And I did discuss that in the other trhead, because the point is, that he is creepy, toxic and needs a serious rewrite.

Doctor Who
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Yeah it's been a consistent disappointment, especially since I didn't care for Halsin at first and then once I changed my mind I realized how much I enjoyed his character. But of course he just started to get shallow and very surface level. I really truly feel like that drown scene in Baldur's Gate was a lot to digest too when you throw it on a character where nothing meaningful can be done about it. If Halsin doesn't get a rewrite or some type of improvement I'll be truly disappointed. I feel like he was just made as some sex mad old man who uses a few nice words here and there to get what he wants.

veteran
veteran
For nonromance content, I would love for him to be a companion in Act 1 when he joins your camp!

It would also be cute if he had a camp scene with the owlbear cub and Scratch! More Act 3 content would be great as well, although I don’t know if they would add a new questline for him for Act 3 at this point. I would be happy if they did, though!

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by Icelyn
For nonromance content, I would love for him to be a companion in Act 1 when he joins your camp!

It would also be cute if he had a camp scene with the owlbear cub and Scratch! More Act 3 content would be great as well, although I don’t know if they would add a new questline for him for Act 3 at this point. I would be happy if they did, though!

Oh God, please no! The mess they've created with this writing is so fubar that there's no saving this dumpster fire at this point. The only way to save myself from having to deal with all the creepy and toxic situations involving Bill Cosby of the woodlands is that I can stick him in camp and leave him there without it having any effect whatsoever on anything. If I have to bring him along for any actual content in act 3 I will be bringing some Mace (and not the cleric kind)!

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I love Halsin, but given how he is written now: Yes, people should have the possibility to tell him to F off.

Why is Halsin the only character in game, who preaches consent, was included as pure fan service, shown as an example of how many choices you had in the game, and then he is the character where you have the least amount of actual influence?

I adore him, but unlike other characters he is shoved down your throat along with his extreme focus on sexuality.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
It's really just poor writing of him. Halsin could have had SO much potential being one of the more level headed and caring "good aligned" characters. Instead he seems to have just been turned into this walking sex joke.

Don't get me wrong I immediately liked Halsin and how sweet he seemed to be at first, I do like the funny stuff like the bear scene because it truly made me laugh so hard and of course like every other character there is the sex part. BUT I've heard the whole creepy thing about him which sucks as well as his horrid abandon you ending which has really ruined a lot of my enjoyment this play through since I wanted to finish end game with him. (I personally may be playing in a way where I don't really see him interact with anyone besides me so he doesn't feel creepy in my save so my experience with that is minimal).

It's just crying over spilled milk at this point honestly because I hope they fix the writing of him, but honestly there probably won't be. With less of his sex obsession and freedom craziness he'd likely be much less creepy and we could have sweet cut scenes where we are enjoying nature with him, meditating, feeding ducks or playing with our animal companions.

Last edited by CrayonzO_o; 26/09/23 06:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
It's really just poor writing of him. Halsin could have had SO much potential being one of the more level headed and caring "good aligned" characters. Instead he seems to have just been turned into this walking sex joke.
Exactly! I hope they fix and add more options to his romance paths, but if not, I still appreciate having another good companion on the team for a friendship path! He is my favorite character from EA!

veteran
veteran
At this point, I wish, you could just tell him to go back to the grove or stay in the Shadowlands and help there - and let him be an ally in the final fight. I really don't need him in act 3. Well - he is useful in one regard: he can be Orins victim, so that she doesn't abduct one of the actual useful companions with story.

I guess Halsin is a classical 'Be careful what you wish for' scenario.

Last edited by fylimar; 26/09/23 04:48 PM.

Doctor Who
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Yes, case in point. Current playthrough my Tav is romancing Gale. I've treated Halsin kindly and with support because his goals are noble and align with mine.

Enter act 3, Halsin immediately tries to hit up Tav for sex. Dude, you know I am in a relationship with Gale, you live in the same camp! Is this what a level-headed, caring and considerate companion would do? Where is the consideration for Gale? Because I can pretty much safely say that all Gale sees is some creep trying to get in his girl's pants.

Now since I know how certain things play out here's how this creepy story could evolve from here.

Tav rejects Halsin and says they are not attracted to him in that way. Yet, later if Tav decides to take up the drow twins on their arrangement together with Gale (which is a f***** up situation in itself and not something I would actually do), Halsin will jump in without any invitation and again ask for sex - I HAVE ALREADY SAID NO TO YOU, WHAT PART OF NO DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

or

Tav fancies the idea and goes to check with Gale if they are on board with it. Gale unequivocally says no and Tav delivers the answer to Halsin that their relationship with Gale means more to them so sex is off the table. Forward again to the drow twins, and Halsin who at this point very clearly knows that Gale is not comfortable with Tav and Halsin having sex and is not interested in Halsin in any way, completely disregards whatever Gale thinks or feels about the situation and again jumps in uninvited and tries to score with Tav.

There is so much mess entangled here, with Tav and all the other companions, that I don't think Larian could unravel it even if they wanted to and with everyone in journalism and social media blowing smoke up their ass about how Halsin is so "inclusive" and written with so much consideration and care (they obviously never explored any of these scenarios properly) they aren't likely to want to either.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Yes, yes and yes! Like I love the idea of there being so many different characters and how each has their own specific standing which with Halsin is that more poly, free caring vibe. The way it was done though does not showcase a HEALTHY version of that.

Other character are obviously more monogamous, so why on earth would they allow Halsin to become this overbearing person who just wants to have sex with anything or anyone??? There should have been boundaries set for him, ESPECIALLY when you add in the he was given that super traumatic background that makes it seem as if he was a sex slave.

Why not instead make it to where he is aware he may have trauma induced tendencies but once a boundry is set saying no he can learn and understand from it. You see plenty of other characters like Shadowheart, Astarion and Gale where as you make decisions they can get past that trauma and become a better person. So why do we have Halsin, who truly gives off such a sweet and good guy vibe, acting as if he's a hurt 17 year old that just wants sex and freedom to be with whomever he wants at the expense of other people's comfort?

In my eyes that is not true inclusion and it does not paint polygamy in a good or safe light. I'm a monogamous person in real life but I don't condem those who choose to be polyamorous while still maintaining healthy boundaries and strong relationships. There were so many other ways they could have done this without making Halsin to overall actually be scummy.

That also of course ties into the endgame where he basically just says "Adiós! I'll see you if I see you!" when in reality you can have freedom to do what you want and still be able to maybe have Tav join you because on the flip side of that "freedom" token, why can't Tav have the freedom to say they want to join Halsin and aid in his missions/beliefs??? You can be Daddy Halsin and I'll be "Mommy" or whatever your Tav is to help.

This has been my brains hyper fixation since I found out the spoilers and now I don't even want to finish this play through with Halsin as my partner or maybe not even finish this play through at all because I know I'm going to be let down... I may just restart a new play through even though I'm over 70 hours in.

E
E
Halsin is clearly not written in a way that considers Tav rejecting him. Which is weird.
I mean, there's a lot of things wrong with his romance overall, but if we disregard all of that, his romance is best (or rather the least bad) when he is the only romanced companion. It's also a little less bad when Tav's actively romancing someone else and wants Halsin on the side. But when Tav wants exclusivity with another companions, Halsin's clearly a real creep. Did they really not consider that there are players who DON'T want to romance Halsin in any way?

Personally, I really like Halsin and I have such a hard time accepting that he's actually meant to be this creepy sex-pest that only thinks about himself. It doesn't feel like that's who he is from everything we learned about him in ACT 1-2, everything about it just feels like a massive mistake (and I'm not talking about him being poly and fluid).

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Halsin in general was not written to truly be a part of our group and take into consideration what Tav might want.

For example there are multiple scenarios you can roll for persuasion to influence Lae'Zel or Shadowheart maybe. I've read plenty about how Halsin was added just for all the players who wanted him in as fan service. And don't get me wrong, I'm so happy they added him because I absolutely gravitated to him, but it feels so extremely forced. All that talk of freedom and our Tav gets none with him, it's his way or the highway.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard