I've read many critically acclaimed books that where less well written as the novella.

I've read fanfiction that I enjoy more than a great number of "critically acclaimed books." I detest many, many classics, and I loathed a novel I read recently -- a Booker Prize winner, y'know -- with an unholy passion.

Nor did I ever feel for any of the main characters, it was simply the story that drove me on. I'd rather feel for characters and have a story to drive me on but with all the books in the world I wonder how many would live up to each of our own individual concepts of what a book should do, convey, or make us feel. Not very many, if even any at all. No matter how much I like something, there's always something I'd change.

Yes, that's very lovely and very wonderful. Didn't I keep typing "for me", "this is my personal opinion", ad infinitum? There is a reason I sprinkled my critiques with those, y'know.

The short novella with its generic fantasy setting and computer game characters does exactly what it set out to do...introduce the story and world of the game. I wouldn't expect it to stand on its own merits if the game never existed, and nor do I think it is meant to.

I tried to look at the novella both as a standalone piece, and as a piece that complements the game. Neither attempt improved my opinions of it overmuch. Then again, my opinions of BD itself aren't very high at the moment.