DEATHATTHEDOOR said:

And winterfox: I agree with Lucretia: many "writers" can't read. I don't mean they have insufficient knowledge of the alphabet, but I mean they are unable to read; after they wrote, they simply cannot read what they wrote and see what's wrong.

I still stand by what I said: many writers are their own worst critics, because they can't see the real flaws, but rather, perceive imagined ones. Of course, there's a reason editors/beta-readers exist. (And if you're a writer and have a good, honest one, by whatever deity that you worship, cherish and treasure him/her.) Then again, there're also egomaniac authors who think that, after they've published a number of books and harnessed a raving fanbase, editors' input ceases to be valid. (As I said -- Anne Rice.)

Lucretia said:

Nope. I had only one specific in my mind.

Please, do clarify.

Alrik said:

However, what I still don't understand - and tht has nothing to do with "skin" or not - was my reaction towards that. I feeled that I had failed.

The only expression I've comme across in the internet to describe what I did is "to freak out". I still don't understand why I had the feeling as if this critic was hitting me to the core , and yes : I definitively mean core. I still don't understand why I reacted so intensively towards relatively rational, unemotional and understandable critics.

I still don't understand or know why I felt this way - being hit so deep - and reconstructing the thing in order to find a clue proved more or less pointless.

The only possible clue I have is that there was no positive criticism (right spelled ?) , but I still don't know.

My feeling was not only that I had failed, by that my work, and everything, including my life, was totally pointless. Being already "hardened" at that point, I could overcome it during several days, otherwise I just would've jumped off the next bridge.

Eh, everyone has an attack of insecurity now and then, including me. However, I have a question to ask: did you agree with any, or all of, the criticism you were given? Another query: someone mentioned "adorant" earlier when addressing you. May I ask what it is?