Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
stranger
stranger
C
Thank you for this thread. I've been checking the forums for weeks now, waiting for someone to make the basic point that the story does not work.

apprentice
apprentice
That people stop panicking after a while, especially as the situation looks stable, seems very realistic to me. That counts as good storytelling in my book.

And while there are certainly some things in the story that could use some improvement, having to deal with harsh realities such as having to suck up to the being that keeps you free to act is not one of them.

A
A
After playing through acts 1 and 2, before stopping at early act 3, all I have to say is that I agree. There are many issues with the plot and tadpoles becoming mandatory for the story to work just falls flat on it's face.

It seems like Larian started with the idea of being able to remove tadpoles only to scrap it completely. Tadpoles are pretty much necessary for acts 1 and 2 + endings (from what I read).

You got tadpole? You get easily trusted, even if you wiped out goblin camp.

Companions? Sharing memories through tadpoles. Just... why? Why not detect thoughts or something similar?

Hell, if you want to make it actual choice, make having tadpole important. For example you shouldn’t be able to enter Moonrise tower without tadpole, guards would attack you on sight. Having absolute's brand would require skill check and enemies could use it against you.

Don’t get me started on the Emperor, Orpheus and the rest of act 3.

OP Offline
Well, the more I get some distance to put some perspecitve on things, the more I think the game is an unfinished dissapointment.

Does anyone know if Larian has commented the issues with the game yet? Considering the state of the last third of the game, it is not encouraging proper CRPG fans to come buy the next game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Supposedly we're getting an enormous patch later today. If patch 3 fixes at least some things? We shall have to wait and see. But they're aware of the crap "endings" at least.

My worry is that by fixing some things, they're gonna break a bunch of other things.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by Surge90sf
Well, the more I get some distance to put some perspecitve on things, the more I think the game is an unfinished dissapointment.

Does anyone know if Larian has commented the issues with the game yet? Considering the state of the last third of the game, it is not encouraging proper CRPG fans to come buy the next game.

Community Update 24 was made some weeks after launch where they delve into their short and long term goals. https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=888581#Post888581

Short term goals are: fixing bugs, improving performance and user experience.
Long term goal is: Making improvements based on feedback about the game (such as addressing the Epilogue issue - in patch2 not soon after, they've added a new ending for Karlach).

I don't think they have a single chance of fixing up the story without releasing a Definitive Edition. This post of mine https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=900437&page=1 has outlined the timeline of BG3's story, and my god it is full of plot holes (and if you only read the OP - I can't edit the post anymore for whatever reason. The timeline between Durge being betrayed and the game starting is explained on page4 comment 17 as I was made aware of some new info).

OP Offline
Yes I have been reading your post. Commented as well.

I have seen that community update but the problem is those promises don't indicate they are aware of the extent of the problems. - Like your post indicates, and mine(I also posted about the many things that need fixing): https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=897086&page=1

- the problems are much bigger and deeper.

The only reason I am here participating is like both you and I have pointed out, that Larian is known for listening to their community, and this game still has the framework to be the game of the decade. And it would be too sad if they just left it as it is. So no further comments then? Anywhere? Dissapointing, it has been well over a month since release now.

stranger
stranger
They probably won't make any comment about the issues with the story, and their plans for a definitive edition until the game is launched on all platforms.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard