Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Warlocke
The word argument here means a statement supported by evidence adopting a position. Like a legal argument or an academic argument. The person is saying your position is poorly founded and supported.

The word flop only pertains to weak sales. It has nothing to do with reviews. Starfield is definitely not a flop. It’s a financial success.

I understand what the word argument means.

My response is that I'm not making an argument. I'm having a conversation. This isn't me writing a thesis trying to prove beyond doubt that Starfield is this or that.

This is me saying, hey, this game doesn't appear to be doing anywhere near as well as initially anticipated. In fact, I think it's getting a surprisingly poor reception. Based on reviews, etc etc...

You saying that is indeed an argument. You are stating a position and supporting it. That’s not mutually exclusive to having a conversation.

The reason they said your argument was weak because you were misusing the word flop, which only signifies a commercial failure, which Starfield definitely is not.

There are multiple definitions for argument. A heated, contentious verbal altercation is one definition, but that is not how WizardGnome was using the word. Whenever you are stating your position on a subject that is being debated, even very informally like here, you are making an argument (different from having an argument).

I think you're taking this to a pedantic level. Not to mention, someone else used the word flop, which I thought fit well enough even though I specifically stated it wasn't the word I would have chosen.

"I don't think this game is getting the great reception that was anticipated. I've noticed bad reviews and anecdotally, it doesn't seem to be doing as well with streamers, from my observations."

"YOU HAVEN'T SUPPORTED YOUR POSITION!!"

"Dude, I'm just saying it doesn't seem like the game is doing well."

--followed by a "well, ackshually..." about what the word argument means.

As for the word "flop," it's--at best--an informal way of saying something is unsuccessful. There's no objective criteria to how successful or unsuccessful something has to be to get the label "flop."

Can we stop with the completely unnecessary and unenlightening attempts at semantics? Pretty please?