Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Tauriel Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
"The vampire has always been a creature of evil.If it wasn't bad in life, it was bad in the undead." That's what I meant when I wrote about Astarion. I don't think Larian missed this point. Admittedly, Astarion doesn't have the wild facial features or clawed fingers of the vampire spawn . However, as for the rules of their character, this seems to have been preserved in the game.

K
stranger
stranger
K
One of the big themes in BG3 is nature vs nurture; you see it with Durge, Shadowheart, Astarion, Gortash, the githyanki egg, etc. Given that Durge, Shadowheart and Astarion can have concrete alignment changes during the game (that are reflected in the epilogue), I'd agree that Larian is doing a homebrew vampire thing in this game. It's playing off of the established vampire lore, but it's not using that lore as hard and fast rules in game. Either way, Astarion does feel genuine emotions for Tav/Durge throughout the game, it's not all manipulation.

Last edited by kiwibliss; 25/03/24 04:52 PM.
stranger
stranger
By the way, since we're talking about DU and Astarion. (I write using a translator)

Our main character is an extremely cunning character. If I'm not confusing anything, he's the one who started this whole quarrel with Absolute. Just imagine how strong his brain must be to come up with all this, apart from stealing the crown from Mephistopheles!

And so, a romantic scene with the ascended Astarion. In which our character is given no choice but to obey or "hit the bells."

One more time.
A character who literally can become the personification of the term "punitive diplomacy", whose tongue is longer than that of a woodpecker, whose intelligence was recognized even by an Elder Brain (!).

Can not.
To talk Astarion down.
The same Astarion who, after ascension, does not think at all. He is literally too intoxicated by the prospects he has imagined for himself to think properly. I definitely do not have the opportunity to convince Astarion in that scene so that he would hold back his offer of eternal life until better times.

For the sake of space! You can force him to accept the astral tadpole, but not to maintain a relationship without becoming his spawn!

If I missed the opportunity to do as I indicated in the spoiler, please tell me.

Paleblood will guide your way
Look to the inside to break the seals
Bleed out the dark, decay
Ascend to places beyond the real
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tauriel
"The vampire has always been a creature of evil.If it wasn't bad in life, it was bad in the undead." That's what I meant when I wrote about Astarion. I don't think Larian missed this point. Admittedly, Astarion doesn't have the wild facial features or clawed fingers of the vampire spawn . However, as for the rules of their character, this seems to have been preserved in the game.

Astarion is a Personality. A living individual with his own unique character. A "creature of evil" is something of a codex for lawfully stupid paladins. Astarion shows himself as a person throughout the game, with his pain, his anger, his feelings and aspirations. The only rule, but not of character, but rather a peculiarity of perception of the vampire world, is dulled senses, but this will only be in the unascended Astarion after the larva is gone (as long as there is a larva, the feelings and sensations are the same as a human).

@ Great_Catsby

You have correctly pointed out - NO other choice is given. Not given directly by the script. Tav necessarily "likes to degrade themselves" because there is no opportunity for dialog, no opportunity to say something different, it's the usual "rails", Tav is just fitted to the "plot", to the "story".

You haven't missed any opportunity - no such opportunity exists. Notice the dialog scene before that - what can you say to Astarion? "I want to become a vampire", "I want your body", another line for a teacher with an IQ below 70 and meaningless swearing. There is a separate thread about this scene, "Add more answer options for Astarion". The rails of the romantic scene are a natural continuation of the rails of the previous dialog.

Our protagonist can be the most devious character in all of Faerûn, but if the "author's intent" is that we help Astarion Ascend because we "want his body" and we "like to degrade ourselves," then there's nothing we can do about it.

Aeterna Amantes. Lovers forever, until the world falls down.

My Love Is Cancelled.
X
stranger
stranger
X
I’m in the end of act 3 I think. But I can’t romance astarion frown. I don’t know what I missed in the beginning that I didn’t get the right dialogue. So what did you do in the begging to romance him ?

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by xJEXAx
I’m in the end of act 3 I think. But I can’t romance astarion frown. I don’t know what I missed in the beginning that I didn’t get the right dialogue. So what did you do in the begging to romance him ?

Astarion's romance doesn't actually begin until part way through act 2. You have the option of sleeping with him in act 1, but this does not actually start the romance, rather it opens the option of romance later. In act 2 you have two options:

- speak to Araj Oblodra, the Drow blood alchemist in moonrise. You have to reinforce his decision to actually romance him, if you force him to bite her, it becomes unavailable. At the next long rest you should have a conversation with him that changes based on what your choice was, and if you reinforced his decision you can then start the actual romance.

- after completing the "Kill Raphael's old Enemy" quest by killing Yurgir, if his approval is high enough, at the next long rest you should be able to have a conversation where you can then start his actual romance.

I'm not sure if there's a way to start the romance in act 3 if it hasn't already begun.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by xJEXAx

One of my characters utterly failed in the romace story on all companions headed into Act 3 single so just waited for Halsins offer instead.
16 characters I play about with and 15 of them are standing next to Astarion as their partner
though a few were made for other companions originally.
I found a sure fire way to get Astarion on the romance path before the tiefling party I usually get his proposition in 1 of 3 quest areas

:Tollhouse after Karlach has a berserker moment
:The Gur Hunter
:Raphael spawn point by the Windmill

Approval gains -- Druid Grove have Laezel speaking to Zorru

Auntie Ethel tell the whole story on first meeting.

Using the tadpole scenes illithid wisdom vs Goblins -
(also agree the powers could be useful)

Loviatar Priest in goblin camp

If Evil Torture Liam

Kiss Crushers foot if Dark Urge Bite it off make Crusher kiss yours

Just start a fight with Gut "I'm here to kill you "

Get the Necromancy of Thay book from the apothecary cellar
(blighted village)
If level 4 get the Amethyst from the spider matriarch area down the well
hand him the book after putting the amethyst in it.

head to auntie Ethel in the sunlit wetlands
hope you can see through the illusion
because saying Baa to the redcaps nets approval

Confront the Gur hunter up the path near the way point let Astarion do the
talking and agree to his request about killing him.

Usually first conversation with him after the Gur is lets sneak away somewhere quiet.

Last edited by Ghostsecurity29; 04/04/24 02:28 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard