Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RB340 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So I got commissioned to write an article listing 15 of the best Turn-Based RPGs on PC and it was a toss-up between BG3 and Divinity 2 for the top spot. Had to pick BG3 in the end since I'm a huge DnD fan as well even though I was a bit disappointed about the lvl 12 cap in-game. Come on, Larian, give us the missing 8 levels soon!

Anyway, give it a read if you're bored. I think i managed to put together a pretty decent list overall.

TOP 15 Best Turn-Based RPGs for PC

W
veteran
veteran
W
Tyranny ain’t turn based.

Just to say, its not just PC... wink (I know that's what the title says, but its wrong)

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Yup.

I am also not sure if I would count rogulite deckbuilder like Griftlands as a turn based RPG. I can see it, but I think it opens up doors for many, many not quite turn-based RPG games.

D
addict
addict
D
You could swap out Tyranny in favor of Underrail. Hard for me to judge the rest of the list, because I haven't played most of them, but I do fervently agree with the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 choice. Best Heroes game, and one of the best games ever.

If I were making the list I'd probably try to work Wizardry 8 in there somewhere too.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
It's Tyran-based.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
It's Tyran-based.

Everybody takes a Tyran stabbing Lantry before he can cast a spell.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Originally Posted by dwig
You could swap out Tyranny in favor of Underrail. Hard for me to judge the rest of the list, because I haven't played most of them, but I do fervently agree with the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 choice. Best Heroes game, and one of the best games ever.

If I were making the list I'd probably try to work Wizardry 8 in there somewhere too.

I know HoMM3 is the one everyone loves. But for my money Homm2 and Homm5 are better. Homm2 might just be pure nostalgia, because I used to play it with my sisters (they never liked 3, because their favorite faction was the one with the butterfly ladies as their lowest tier unit, forget what it was called.)

But I know HoMM5 was made after the now-hated Ubisoft takeover, and was after the stupid setting change that made the entire franchise more generic, but what can I say? It's the one good game Ubisoft made with the IP.

D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by WizardGnome
Originally Posted by dwig

I know HoMM3 is the one everyone loves. But for my money Homm2 and Homm5 are better. Homm2 might just be pure nostalgia, because I used to play it with my sisters (they never liked 3, because their favorite faction was the one with the butterfly ladies as their lowest tier unit, forget what it was called.)

But I know HoMM5 was made after the now-hated Ubisoft takeover, and was after the stupid setting change that made the entire franchise more generic, but what can I say? It's the one good game Ubisoft made with the IP.

I liked heroes 5, don't get me wrong. However, I thought the skill trees were overly complicated, and the map movement AI was pretty weak. In a heroes 3 map you had to optimize your build order and get ready asap because "they" were coming, and coming soon. In Heroes 5 it seemed like the AI would just let you get ready at your pace. I suppose the pvp picture might have been different, but I never tried that.

Heroes 2 was also good (if it hadn't been then 3 might not have gotten made). I think 3D0 incrementally improved the series through the first three games and arrived at the optimal product with 3.

Actually, one of my main memories of playing the series was from heroes 2. I got my hands on the demo a few weeks before it came out (I think, though I don't remember how). The demo was just one map, but I played it over, and over, and over again. Blew me away. Been hooked on the series ever since.

Last edited by dwig; 19/09/23 12:23 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
It's Tyran-based.

Why are you like this? Who hurt you?

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
It's Tyran-based.

Why are you like this? Who hurt you?
Why am I like what? Like a comedic genius?
Here he is, but be warned: This image is not for the faint of heart.

[Linked Image from imgix.bustle.com]
We live in a society

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard