W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Removed ... or replaced by some random bullshit drawn from nowhere.
I dont see difference.

Well, I think @Aurora (sorry if mistaken) said on the forum that DnD One are going for this little pussycat (imo) kind of character creation where everyone wants to like play like fuuun and like fun equals attribute free world and like these attributes don't represent anything and like other stuff like for them to have fun, like, you know? I guess let them have it and stuff, I'll create my race as a canonical one and still have fun because I liked the old rules better, hehe

Maybe Wizards like called Larian and said like, yo man Swen Vinke (spelled right?/) it is 21th century now everyone want to have fun man remove the attributes!! And he was like okaaaay

That is not how D&D One works at all. They just made it so attributes are tied to your background instead of race so if you like non-traditional race-class pairings then you aren’t being penalized for it. There are still attributes, and they still matter just as much. This is a much better system.

And I’m not sure why you were playing D&D, but having fun was always the point of the game.

Hello, I could've made a wrong assertion or just forgot something... apologies! I've been playing DnD for fun tooo.. just different idea of fun, I don't know if my message conveyed it properly, but the thought was letting everyone have their fun at last. I am kinda bored by the whole conservative/modern player rivalry and can give up on their terms (the last ones') laugh

All good. 🤘🏻

C
C
Originally Posted by williams85
Originally Posted by crashdaddy
You can't get 17 without a stat bonus, 15 is max in 5e
Well, im no 5e expert like Niara ...
But even i know this is not true.

Since it depends on wich stat determining method are you using.

When you roll > you can get 17 quite easily, even more of them if you are lucky.
When you use Point Buy, or Standard Array > then you are corect.

And since the topic is about roll ... well ... i hope you get where am i aiming. smile

so they're definitely there, but now flexible (a +2 and a +1)
If everyone got "flexible +2 and +1" ...
Its even worse bullshit than Tasha was, and that itself set the bar pretty high. laugh

otherwise it would be pretty pointless to play a human when you can get the same stats with a race that gives additional benefits
That was my point.

CLEARLY these stats haven't been rolled, they're point buy, which is the only confirmed method of stats we have confirmed so far. Like I said, there may be options on the abilities page, but we weren't talking about rolling we were talking about the obvious point buy stats on the examples they showed. At least I was in my post which you replied to. And in case you're too lazy to scroll up, I only replied to you because you said it looked like stat bonuses were removed, remember? They clearly haven't been, so I really don't see why you felt it necessary to reply. I merely said there was a 'floating' +2/+1, which I think is great. You don't. Good for you. No need to waste your time on keeping a non-argument going. I know about rolling for stats, but we don't even know that's an option here so until we do, it's entirely irrelevant. But for the sake of pedantry, 'using the method we currently have in the game', it is not possible to get higher than 15 without stat bonuses. Happy?

I'm pretty sure that the Tasha's rules are by and large welcomed by most and are in fact the way it looks like the new rules for point buy character creation is going forward in the new edition. Sucks that you don't like that, but there you go.

Most people I know, including me are against a lot of the dumbing down of rules that tasha's has brought forth, so don't assume that you speak for everybody.

I didn't say all, mate I said I'm pretty sure that most do. Most of the friends I know who are also into Dnd do, but that's not why I said it. I said it because the vast majority of DnD content I watch on youtube like it and recommend using it and so do most of the comments I read on their videos. Like I said to the dude above, shame you don't like it. Like nearly everyone I know, it's just a breath of fresh air not to have the party made up of wood elf rangers, halfing rogues, dragonborn and half elf paladins etc. For me - and many people - it simply opens roleplay opportunities without penalising mechanics. Your mileage may and obviously does vary. But nobody's putting words in your mouth, I'm sure a good number of people don't like it as well. Nobody at my table though. We all think it's great and I'm more than happy if something close to it is in BG3

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Beechams
This is another example of Larian being Larian. Ability stats are fundamental to your character and getting them right at CC sets you on the right path for the entire game. Instead Larian shows us freckles and horn colours.
lol, I was pretty much screaming just show us if we can roll for stats or how multiclass works or how the wizard subclasses are implemented (are there enough divination spells?) while they were showing off freckles and pearl scales.

addict
addict
Let's be honest, rolling for stats with point buy on is basically just: Pick your stats. At that point you may as well just use cheat engine or a mod.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
Removed ... or replaced by some random bullshit drawn from nowhere.
I dont see difference.

Well, I think @Aurora (sorry if mistaken) said on the forum that DnD One are going for this little pussycat (imo) kind of character creation where everyone wants to like play like fuuun and like fun equals attribute free world and like these attributes don't represent anything and like other stuff like for them to have fun, like, you know? I guess let them have it and stuff, I'll create my race as a canonical one and still have fun because I liked the old rules better, hehe

Maybe Wizards like called Larian and said like, yo man Swen Vinke (spelled right?/) it is 21th century now everyone want to have fun man remove the attributes!! And he was like okaaaay
I have litteraly no ida what "DnD One" is ...

BUT!

As you mention the rest of your post ...
It made me wonder ... what if this stat aray, is effect of Narative difficiulty?
I mean, if someone dont wish to be bothered with stats (wich was one of things that was mentioned in list of things difficiulty affect i think) ... there is nothing easier than give them allready alocated standard array, with slightly buffed main stat.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/07/23 06:19 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by benbaxter
Let's be honest, rolling for stats with point buy on is basically just: Pick your stats. At that point you may as well just use cheat engine or a mod.
I hoping a moder will fix all the little things larian dosent care about, rolling is important to my dnd experience and was part of bg1 and 2,

I have litteraly no ida what "DnD One" is ...

It's D&D 5.5e, akin to what 3.5 were to 3rd edition. I think they kinda dropped the "One D&D" title IIRC.

It seems they are aiming to release it for the 50th anniversary of D&D and it will have quite an amount of tweaks or straight up reworks of classes and mechanics. On top of my head: floating racial bonuses, all classes getting their subclass at third level, weapons getting properties akin to what has been introduced in BG3, rework of the exhaustion mechanic, and so on. Way too many to list them here.

... because it's fun!
veteran
veteran
So ...
I was re-watching the part of the stream, where all races were presented ... in order to catch at least glimpse of faces that was added. (nothing too exiting found btw)

And i have noticed, that each and every race have this icon in their Racial Features:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
For Dragonborn its even the only icon that is there.

I believe THAT is where our stat bonuses are hiding.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/07/23 07:45 AM.

C
C
So ...
I was re-watching the part of the stream, where all races were presented ... in order to catch at least glimpse of faces that was added. (nothing too exiting found btw)

And i have noticed, that each and every race have this icon in their Racial Features:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
For Dragonborn its even the only icon that is there.

I believe THAT is where our stat bonuses are hiding.

Yeah, this looks like the stat bonus icon and the others are weapon/armour proficiency, darkvision and poison resist.

Interesting humans also got 3 icons here. The barb as well as simple and martial weapons got spears, pikes, halberds and glaives. Now, this would be a terrible bonus generally as the vast number of classes that would want this strength based proficiency already get it with martial weapons. I have the feeling this is polearm master and that this is a selectable feat (as it would be practically useless for rogues and casters). Which might mean variant human is in.

Without firsthand knowledge, I'd say that even though the +2/1 defaults to the primary class stat it would be highly unusual if you couldn't make a dex fighter or str ranger, which means anyone who wants to play the 'old' way can likely do so by manually moving the bonuses. The only races we have in BG3 that don't get a +2/1 in the PHB are default human, shield dwarf and half elf and half elf is pretty op for charisma classes as is. So if anyone wants to play it the old style, I'm hoping this option is available.

I'm pretty sure this feature is only there as default to prevent those unfamiliar with dnd and without hundreds of hours in EA from gimping their characters. Don't forget, there is likely as much, if not more, potential players who don't know/care about the minutiae of dnd, which is why they probably focused on the less technical aspects in this PFH. I imagine there's a lot of flexibility in character creation, including stats. At least I hope so.

L
addict
addict
L
"Has rolling for stats been confirmed?"

I watched the panel and dont recall Larian confirming that rolling for stats will be in the game.
Based on what we've seen i would be surprised if flexible racial stats (whether Tashsa or Larian's homebrew version) isnt in the game.
And i think stat rolling will also be in the game.

Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LostSoul
"Has rolling for stats been confirmed?"

I watched the panel and dont recall Larian confirming that rolling for stats will be in the game.
Based on what we've seen i would be surprised if flexible racial stats (whether Tashsa or Larian's homebrew version) isnt in the game.
And i think stat rolling will also be in the game.
I would like that, but im not going to hold my breath

R
R
Well according to the Red Queen she could not roll for stats when she played. That would be an interesting about face if it pans out.

Last edited by Relampago; 08/07/23 10:50 PM.
stranger
stranger
I dont really know why they complicate this things. Just add both and each one will pick the way they wanna play. The more options to choose, most fun for everyone. Is not about dont give to people something is about to give all and let them choose. Freedom as Larian say without Roll for stats is not really freedom.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Cyrus
I dont really know why they complicate this things. Just add both and each one will pick the way they wanna play. The more options to choose, most fun for everyone. Is not about dont give to people something is about to give all and let them choose. Freedom as Larian say without Roll for stats is not really freedom.

I'm all for having rolling for stats, don't get me wrong. My point is that no one just rolls once and keeps those stats. Unless you do, and hey more power to you if that's how you do things. I would honestly be impressed by that.

Back from timeout.
Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Cyrus

I'm all for having rolling for stats, don't get me wrong. My point is that no one just rolls once and keeps those stats. Unless you do, and hey more power to you if that's how you do things. I would honestly be impressed by that.

I played bg2 where iv only rolled once admittedly not when i first started playing but as i got better at the game and wanted to make a dnd character from scratch with out "cheating"

A gimped game could be fun aswell having to make a warrior with a potion addiction just to get threw

Or a black lotus addicted priest with lower then usual wisdom and terrible charisma sickly from the drugs
Trying to break her addiction and raise her wisdom stat in the process

veteran
veteran
My point is that no one just rolls once and keeps those stats.
Counter question: So what?

Theese arguments were allready made, and in the end dismissed as irellevant. smile

If i wish to spend my money to sit in character creator for five hours and clicking "reroll" to get my perfect stats ... its my business, isnt it? laugh
Sure, people will then say "but what about multiplayer, nobody wants to wait that long for someone else" ... and that is true ... except the same problem with multiplayer is with person who dont give a shit about his stats, but is deciding for same time if his character will look better with braids, or ponytail (its braids btw) ... and nobody cares about that. laugh
Also, im quite sure that party host will, or at least should, have option to kick out anyone who is not responding. > So that is your solution.

There is also second aspect, since we all know that people WILL spend their time in order to get perfect stats, or at least as perfect as possible within reason ... personaly i think that Larian can aswell include infinite point buy ... you want to ruin your game by having 18 - 18 - 18 - 18 - 18 - 18?
Go with it, nobody cares.
Multiplayer argument again? Just kick him if you dont like it, problem solved.

See?
There is nothing holding back from implementing stat rolls ... it make people happy and those who will be pissed dont have any valid argument anyway.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My completely un-educated guess is that Larian will enable rolling through a BG3 equivalent of DOS2 gift bags.

Gift bags were Larian created mods that they developed for the community for free. They were usually highly requested improvements but they gave your character an advantage over the original game design.

Gift bags are free content updates we have provided adding a variety of upgrades and features not found in the original game. These are accessed in the Gift Bag Features menu where you can enable as many or few of these features as you like for your playthrough of the game (the extra cosmetic options in character creation and armour set content are available automatically).

The only downside of enabling gift bags was that they did disable achievements.

Again, this is a complete and utter guess on my part and any similarity to reality would be completely coincidental.

Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Alodar
My completely un-educated guess is that Larian will enable rolling through a BG3 equivalent of DOS2 gift bags.

Gift bags were Larian created mods that they developed for the community for free. They were usually highly requested improvements but they gave your character an advantage over the original game design.

Gift bags are free content updates we have provided adding a variety of upgrades and features not found in the original game. These are accessed in the Gift Bag Features menu where you can enable as many or few of these features as you like for your playthrough of the game (the extra cosmetic options in character creation and armour set content are available automatically).

Again, this is a complete and utter guess on my part and any similarity to reality would be completely coincidental.

Someone will make a mod to re-enable achievements anyway i dunno why devs do this people can cheat achievements regardless, so just let people play how they want with out taking stuff away from them

Last edited by Xzoviac; 09/07/23 11:10 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
i dunno why devs do this
Oh thats easy ...
Bcs some other people then feel like they achievments are more meaninfull ... and devs dont need to deal with their bombardment of hurted emails about how they were sweating tiers and blood and now someone else have the same reward much easier. laugh

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Originally Posted by Alodar

Someone will make a mod to re-enable achievements anyway i dunno why devs do this people can cheat achievements regardless, so just let people play how they want with out taking stuff away from them

People want to feel like the time they spend doing hard things has a reward that they can feel proud of. Game devs purposefully allowing cheaters to get the same rewards lessens/sours their feelings of success, which is a bad player experience.

Back from timeout.
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard