Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
veteran
veteran
Ok, so it sounds like every race has the ability to add +2 to any stat or +1 +1 to two stats just like Half Elves do. On top of this we have racial bonuses for each race and subrace which are independent of that.

Then we also have the usual point buy system, but no ability to roll is that correct?

Blackheifer
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
15 is NOT max in 5e. That's silly. Read the PHB. It gives multiple - all of which are optional - to create yiur character. In fact, the base way to create your character in 5e is roll 4d6, drop the lowest, do this 6 times, give them to a stat. If you do not want a roll you can 'assign' 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and7. Heh. But, who'd do that over rolling? The first variant has 15 as max. This is found on page 13 of the PHB. Why make stuff up? Lol

Last edited by Volourn; 09/07/23 06:52 PM.
H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
So humans get nothing out of the change and just end up sucking more relative to the other choices?

veteran
veteran
Yes

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by HZM
So humans get nothing out of the change and just end up sucking more relative to the other choices?

Yes, unless they put Variant in.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by gaymer
Originally Posted by HZM

Yes, unless they put Variant in.

its a shame, humans in 3.0 were pretty strong, they received more skill points, they received an additional feat at first lv as well as +1 to all stats

Last edited by Doomlord; 10/07/23 05:28 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
enthusiast
enthusiast
Game already is full of abusive mechanics.
And don't tell me you will honestly roll for stats once. If you want all stats to be 18, just install mod that lets you do it.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by HZM
It looks like they get polearm proficiency which is nice for simple weapon classes

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
don't tell me you will honestly roll for stats once. If you want all stats to be 18, just install mod that lets you do it.
Serious qiestion:
Why do you care?

To both.

Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
simple weapon classes
You mean Cleric?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
don't tell me you will honestly roll for stats once. If you want all stats to be 18, just install mod that lets you do it.
Serious qiestion:
Why do you care?

To both.

Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
simple weapon classes
You mean Cleric?

There are also warlock, wizard, sorcerer, druid, bard who can make use of it. Actually human is no viable for the gwm+darkness warlock build.

veteran
veteran
M hm ...
I know many Warlock, Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard or Druid builds that have high Str so they can "make use of it". smile

Especialy since those classes tend to have 16 Dex, wich allready gives them better chances to hit with Finese weapons, even if they are not proficient. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/07/23 07:53 AM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Serious qiestion:
Why do you care?
Game balancing exist for reason. And if there restriction - there are reason for that.
If you care for fare game - you abide the rules. If you don't... well, like i said, there are always cheat mods. Jsut don't ask devs to break game for you personally.
So, yeah, i care for game mechanics to actually make sense.

veteran
veteran
That dont answer my question tho.

I didnt ask if you care ...
I asked why you do.

Answering me that you do have zero information value for me.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/07/23 08:38 AM.

Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Serious qiestion:
Why do you care?
Game balancing exist for reason. And if there restriction - there are reason for that.
If you care for fare game - you abide the rules. If you don't... well, like i said, there are always cheat mods. Jsut don't ask devs to break game for you personally.
So, yeah, i care for game mechanics to actually make sense.
Rolling for Stats makes sense its part of dnd and its part of bg1 and 2, bg 3 should have it too bg1 and 2 are multiplayer too and didnt suffer from the game feeling unfair. Why should people have to cheat to enjoy a big part of dnd

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Rolling for Stats makes sense its part of dnd and its part of bg1 and 2, bg 3 should have it too bg1 and 2 are multiplayer too and didnt suffer from the game feeling unfair. Why should people have to cheat to enjoy a big part of dnd
The part that was very heavily abused in BG1 and 2. Why did it exist? Unfortunately devs just didn't realized players would abuse it heavily. And unlike in actual D&D - there is no DM to say: "Yeah, sorry, you chose yourself to roll, so take those shitty first roll stats". There are no reroll in actual D&D. In CRPG - nothing would stop players abuse hell out of such mechanics.
Plus, rolling for stats is OPTIONAL mechanics in 5th edition. Optional = any DM in full rights forbid it entirely. Although hardly even that needed. Taking risk of having character with very shitty rolled stats, and that no one will allow you to reroll those shitty stats - vast majority of players prefer point-buy system.

That dont answer my question tho.

I didnt ask if you care ...
I asked why you do.

Answering me that you do have zero information value for me.
And i plainly explained why... perhaps it worth re-reading my post.

Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The part that was very heavily abused in BG1 and 2. Why did it exist? Unfortunately devs just didn't realized players would abuse it heavily. And unlike in actual D&D - there is no DM to say: "Yeah, sorry, you chose yourself to roll, so take those shitty first roll stats". There are no reroll in actual D&D. In CRPG - nothing would stop players abuse hell out of such mechanics.
Plus, rolling for stats is OPTIONAL mechanics in 5th edition. Optional = any DM in full rights forbid it entirely. Although hardly even that needed. Taking risk of having character with very shitty rolled stats, and that no one will allow you to reroll those shitty stats - vast majority of players prefer .

So you believe larian cant code the roll to only be pressed one time? If the reason its not added is for your above reasons "balance" they will just limit the amount of rolls and still add it?

And if your roll is mega shit just switch back to point buy

When i dm all my guys roll for stats but i let them re roll the 1s ends for well rounded satisfying stats mostly

Larian could easily add a protection in to avoid mega shit rolls

Last edited by Xzoviac; 10/07/23 09:06 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M

I think the question is better put this way:
This is a non-competitive, mostly single-player game (yes, some people will play it co-op, but the vast majority of people will play it single-player).
How does one person's experience make yours objectively worse?

I can choose to "unbalance" my single player games any way I see fit. Have you ever been affected by me doing so?
For example, the very first thing I did after realising the party size was limited to four was modding my save to accomodate six. Did you notice? Did it break your game?

Larian fell afoul of "git gud gatekeepers" in DOS2 (the armour and cursed surface systems were abominations tailored to accommodate them).
I'd rather BG3 didn't suffer the same fate.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So you believe larian cant code the roll to only be pressed one time? If the reason its not added is for your above reasons "balance" they will just limit the amount of rolls and still add it?
Can they also code so players can't go back to main menu, and start game anew? But you already knew that, don't you?..

And if your roll is mega shit just switch back to point buy
Imagine playing slots, and if you get no return at all - you get just chose to take your money back...

When i dm all my guys roll for stats but i let them re roll the 1s ends for well rounded satisfying stats mostly
As someone who plays D&D for 35 years, i can tell for certain that "spineless" DM is one of worst thing players can get.
It starts from "oh sure you can reroll, reroll as much as you like". Then comes to miracle saves during tough combats, and end to the point where no encounter really a challenge at all. As DM simply grants victories to party, in fear that some can hold grudge for character death and leave.

Larian could easily add a protection in to avoid mega shit rolls
For example?

Originally Posted by Mungrul

I think the question is better put this way:
This is a non-competitive, mostly single-player game (yes, some people will play it co-op, but the vast majority of people will play it single-player).
How does one person's experience make yours objectively worse?
Well, if someone doesn't like challenge - there specifically story mode. And for those who simply enjoys cheating.... there are cheat mods. If for someone it will feel good setting game to tactical mode, and then set all attributes of all party member to 30+... sure, liek you said, it's a single player... more importantly moddable single-player. Just don't ask devs to break game just for you personally. Majority players likes the challenge, and respect game rules.

Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Can they also code so players can't go back to main menu, and start game anew? But you already knew that, don't you?..
you know a player could edit its stats and still play multiplayer right? its like you are just making up situations to justify your opinion
saying stuff shldnt be added because players could cheat is silly imo

Imagine playing slots, and if you get no return at all - you get just chose to take your money back...
no thanks, I'll imagine playing bg3 the way I want to play. you can just not use the feature

i can tell for certain that "spineless" DM is one of worst thing players can get.
opinions on peoples personality's based on your assumptions its pretty rude mate

For example?
you only want an example to pick apart I'm sure you can think of examples your self mate

Just don't ask devs to break game just for you personally. Majority players likes the challenge, and respect game rules.
you seem to think that the only way to legitimately play the game is your way, and any other features you can see as making the game "easier" are just cheating
problem with this view is this feature does not just make the game easier, it builds the game to feel closer to the pen and paper version
just because a feature can be abused does not mean that it should be, look at shove exploding barrels leaving most your party out the fight and then stealth attacking
there are 100s of ways to cheese the game, larian actively like cheese,

I personally just want bg3 to be close as bg1 and 2 as possible , larian has really missed the boat on that so any little features they can add that will at least give a small nod to the old games id enjoy and use
trying to argue a feature is cheating is just silly as the feature can be programmed any way that larian sees fit (if they care about players cheeseing it some how, wich they dont based on other far easier ways to make fight easy such as blasting objects at encounters before you even fight them)

Last edited by Xzoviac; 10/07/23 11:34 AM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Please do give the old devs some credit. Of course they knew that people would reroll stats when they specifically programmed BG1 and BG2 in a way that enabled stat rerolling. They knew and they didn't really care. They also added no less than 8 tomes of +1 stat in BG1. You could literally make a 20 dex thief or a 19 strength, 20 con warrior. Or a 19, 18, 20 thief-fighter multiclass dwarf. And it wasn't abuse of the game, it was literally playing the game as intended.

The old BG games were a lot more focused on "wouldn't this be pretty cool?" than they were on "wouldn't this be supremely balanced?". Remember how summon undead worked in BG1? How that combined with a party full of ranged attackers? Remember how the old Flail of the Ages worked? How good that was in the hands of an imp hasted fighter with a giant strength belt that was also dual wielding a sword of +1 main hand attack? Good times, right?

Personally I wouldn't complain too much if there's no stat reroll in BG3, but I also wouldn't mind if there was. After all, it really wasn't that easy to roll 90+, so most people settled for much less. And ultimately it is a single player game. If someone wants to hit the game with a sextuple 18 freakazoid then why not? Same if someone wants to play a naked character with terrible stats. That is the beauty of single player. Their game, their choice.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard