Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Hey Larianettes!

Hope you had a lovely weekend. I'm just flagging this again, as the issue is still preventing me from continuing this absolute masterpiece of a game.

I'd like to ask you to please, please, please consider a hotfix ASAP to
revive Dammon in Act 2. Just bring him back to life and plop him in the stable, please. Or maybe give us an alternative to fix Karlach like is provided in the grove?

Dammon explicitly tells you to look for him in the city, so many of us didn't even realize he was in the barn at Last Light until wayyyy too late. Exploration early in Act 2 is also discouraged by the shadow curse, powerful enemies, ambushes, etc. It's also so difficult to prevent Isobel from being knocked out that I had no idea it was possible to prevent it. (I save scummed twice and she kept getting ganked before my characters could even act, so I just assumed her kidnapping was a necessary plot point.)

It's a perfect storm that causes lots of people to miss this incredibly important moment and completely bricks the game if you're romancing Karlach. And why would anyone not romance Karlach? Are they threatened by strong, earnest women seeking bodily autonomy? Seems kinda sus, honestly.

Again, thanks so much for this game. It's already provided me with 60+ hours of incredible gameplay. Looking forward to putting in many more hours once this is fixed.

addict
addict
I don't romance karlach because I'm not into chicks.

veteran
veteran
Not only of you romance her, it advances her friendship path too
But to be honest: Dammon has to get to the city the same as any other character, so it make sense for him to be there. The only solution would be, that you might find notes on his body, if he dies so that you can do the update yourself. Shouldn't be too hard for someone, who just used an ancient forge to make armor, or a sussur forge to make weapons.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
Why would you romance Karlach if you killed the Refugee.

I propose the romance automatically borked if you side with the Goblin.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Originally Posted by fylimar
The only solution would be, that you might find notes on his body, if he dies so that you can do the update yourself. Shouldn't be too hard for someone, who just used an ancient forge to make armor, or a sussur forge to make weapons.

This is a great call! Really smart.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dext. Paladin

Karlach won't stay in your party, if you side with the goblins, so there is no romance in that case.
But Dammon and the other refugees can die without it being really your fault in act 2. It really has to do with a bit of luck in a certain fight.

Last edited by fylimar; 25/09/23 10:37 PM.

Doctor Who
addict
addict

Karlach won't stay in your party, if you side with the goblins, so there is no romance in that case.
But Dammon and the other refugees can die without it being really your fault in act 2. It really has to do with a bit of luck in a certain fight.
Oh, you mean the Marcus fight?

I don't remember the Flying Ghoul ever fly that far? The only important character that is in danger is Jaheira right?

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
veteran
veteran

Oh, you mean the Marcus fight?

I don't remember the Flying Ghoul ever fly that far? The only important character that is in danger is Jaheira right?

If Marcus is successful in kidnapping ISobel, the Last Light Inn falls and all npcs but Jaheira become undead, including Dammon. You have to kill them all then, again, including Dammon.

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
Think people here got stuck on the part of the suggestion that matters the least.

Indeed, there are several ways Dammon can die, and you as player might not realize it/the consequences. The Marcus incident with Isobel is an instant ruining event, but also if you try to kill the Strange Ox things can turn badly very quickly too, and you might not even realize it’ll put Dammon at risk either.

The Marcus thing is worse since you might not even have noticed Dammon there, as OP said. I know it took me a few visits to Last Light and a wrong turn to find him the first time.

Rawr.
C
stranger
stranger
C
The strange OX is just flat out killing Dammon before you can even get into the barn. And it won't enter turn based mode until he's dead, you can hear the attacks as you approach and then it will finally allow entry into turn based as you watch his corpse fall to the ground. I did this over and over yesterday trying to save him. He was alive when I left him, I saved after trading with him. When I return or tried to reload this save he is slaughtered too quickly.

The game is literally preventing itself from working properly to enter turn based mode before Dammon is down.

The notes would be a good backup solution. Allowing certain NPC's to be revived would also work. More health to Dammon would also work... being a smith in Hell should be more than 1st level stats...

veteran
veteran
why does there have to be success behind every failure?

if karlach misses her chance, for whatever reason, then so be it.

i can't help but feel like there's this constant cry for a world without consequence, and I think it's making gaming worse.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Originally Posted by JandK
i can't help but feel like there's this constant cry for a world without consequence, and I think it's making gaming worse.

I'm not trying to win gaming. I'm just trying to have fun. If you re-read a passage in a book do you castigate yourself? If you rewind a movie do you self-immolate?

Not everyone plays games the same way, and that's not an indicator of the world getting worse. It's an indicator of people who enjoy things in a different way than you, which is - and this is scientifically verifiable - totally chill, my guy.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by notkevinglidden

I'm not trying to win gaming. I'm just trying to have fun. If you re-read a passage in a book do you castigate yourself? If you rewind a movie do you self-immolate?

Not everyone plays games the same way, and that's not an indicator of the world getting worse. It's an indicator of people who enjoy things in a different way than you, which is - and this is scientifically verifiable - totally chill, my guy.

I have no idea what rereading a passage in a book has to do with my comment.

A world without consequences is basically saying there's no challenge. Overcoming obstacles is core to the nature of gaming. In fact, it's core to the nature of storytelling.

Again, why does there have to be success behind every failure?

"I go left." --you get what you want.

"I go right." --you get what you want.

"I stay put." --you get what you want.

While you're having fun getting what you want and being "chill," the rest of us are wondering what the heck happened to challenges with consequences. Scientifically speaking, of course.

addict
addict
If Marcus is successful in kidnapping ISobel, the Last Light Inn falls and all npcs but Jaheira become undead, including Dammon. You have to kill them all then, again, including Dammon.

So.... you just have to rail down Marcus and cast Sanctuary to Isobel? Right?

Originally Posted by sailorgundam
Think people here got stuck on the part of the suggestion that matters the least.

Indeed, there are several ways Dammon can die, and you as player might not realize it/the consequences. The Marcus incident with Isobel is an instant ruining event, but also if you try to kill the Strange Ox things can turn badly very quickly too, and you might not even realize it’ll put Dammon at risk either.

The Marcus thing is worse since you might not even have noticed Dammon there, as OP said. I know it took me a few visits to Last Light and a wrong turn to find him the first time.

I think the solution here is to give OP the solution to kill marcus as fast as possible.

My suggestion:

Priest: Cast Sanctuary to Isobel.

veteran
veteran
Dext Paladin: I did the Marcus fight yesterday with my good Durge playthrough again. I had 3 characters with Isobel- Shadow, Astarion and my sword bard Durge- and yes, Shadow did cast Sanctuary on Isobel and she and my bard healed her with their bonus action. Karlach stayed downstairs and fought the mobs. It was no problem keeping Isobel and the tieflings in the Inn alive.
Isobel sadly has a tendency to run into danger, so Shadowheart babysat her mostly.

And I never thought, I ever say this, but I actually agree with JandK. Consequences are ok. If you don't take Astarion with you to certain points in act 2 , you can end his romance and probably won't be able to get his whole story.
If you don't go with Lae'zel to the Mountain Pass, you can't advance her story, Shadow leaves, if you don't take her to the Gauntlet.
I mean, Karlach still can become a mindflayer in the end and survive. Is it the best ending? No, but she lives. And yes, the romance is gone, but the same can happen with other companions.
I don't know, I like the romances for the story they give, but I'm not obsessed with romancing certain characters. If I miss my chance one playthrough, no matter, there is always another one.

Last edited by fylimar; 27/09/23 06:53 AM.

Doctor Who
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Can you cast Sanctuary on Isabel (or any other "stasis-like" effect) to buy time for you to smash those kidnappers?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Bogdanov89
Can you cast Sanctuary on Isabel (or any other "stasis-like" effect) to buy time for you to smash those kidnappers?
I literally just answered that in the post above yours...

Doctor Who
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
A world without consequences is basically saying there's no challenge. Overcoming obstacles is core to the nature of gaming. In fact, it's core to the nature of storytelling.

Again, why does there have to be success behind every failure?

While you're having fun getting what you want and being "chill," the rest of us are wondering what the heck happened to challenges with consequences. Scientifically speaking, of course.
A necessary corollary to this, in my view, is that it should be possible to get what you want. In some cases, the complaints about the BG3 endings have more to do with the fact that every option leads to not getting what you want, rather than wanting every option to get what you want.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N

Several coding errors lead to Dammon dying randomly, without player input.

If you approached him with a summon he could erroneously flee into the shadow and die. A current coding error causes him to die the second you fast travel in to Last Light.

Arbitrary loss conditions that are not clearly communicated until you have to google it 20+ hours after passing the event isn't "real" gameplay. It's broken gameplay.

Should the people whose run got borked by coding errors suffer consequences for the game designers' errors? Why report or fix bugs at all, then? Why not just leave bugs in for a more authentically real gamer experience?

There is no such thing as a correct way to game. If you want to play on extra hard mode, you're no more of a real gamer than someone playing on extra easy.

B
old hand
old hand
B
There are consequences and there are consequences.

Lae'zel bangs on about the creche from the start of the game so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to guess that not doing the creche with her in the party is going to have some sort of consequence. Shadowheart is a cleric of Shar who is on a special mission for the goddess so not doing the Gauntlet with her in the party is obviously going to have some sort of consequence.
In my game I killed Astarion, left Gale in the waypoint and dismissed Wyll from camp immediately after recruiting Karlach. I am quite happy to accept the consequences of my actions/choices.

Talking to Isobel after being instructed to do so by Jaheira in no way, shape or form gives any hint that there will be an almost immediate attack or that the attack will have such calamitous and irreversible consequences. We could also add that these consequences are widespread and will affect a number of quests and future events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard