Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sektor #352271 13/05/08 12:36 PM
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Originally Posted by Sektor
My all-time favorite album is 'Dark Side of the Moon' by Pink Floyd (yeah, old-geezer-music)

Not (just) for old geezers: Dark Side of the Moon is timeless! Good choice. kitty

I am in blood
Stepp'd in so far, that, should I wade no more,
Returning were as tedious as go o'er.
Macbeth #352275 13/05/08 01:46 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Macbeth
My all-time favorite album is 'Dark Side of the Moon' by Pink Floyd (yeah, old-geezer-music)

Not (just) for old geezers: Dark Side of the Moon is timeless! Good choice. kitty

Thank you. It's good to know some people still like it. grin

"And all that is now, and all that is gone, and all that's to come, and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." - Now that's poetry!

"The Large Print giveth, and the Small Print taketh away" - Tom Waits
Macbeth #352276 13/05/08 01:59 PM
U
veteran
veteran
U
DSotM is boring... At least that's what I think about it. wink The whole album feels stale, the musicians doesn't manage to bring enought feeling into the songs. I prefer Genesis. Or, to take an album from the same year, Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges... laugh

However, when it comes to music (as with taste in general) it usually comes down to what works for you. I like Skinny Puppy, but I can understand why a lot of pepole don't. DSotM doesn't work for me (for some reason). The reason I'm so outspoken about it (not that I go "thinking DSotM is great is wrong", because I don't think that) is because a lot of pepole seem to think it's the greatest album ever (not just here). So when a lot of pepole proclaim an album I think is... ok, allmost, then I feel like I should provide my oppinion just to give some prespective to pepole who haven't heard it. My idea is that it might be the big expentations that killed the album for me (not that they were very big).

Übereil

Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think.

Ambrose Bierce
Ubereil #352279 13/05/08 02:36 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Ubereil
DSotM is boring... At least that's what I think about it. wink The whole album feels stale, the musicians doesn't manage to bring enought feeling into the songs. I prefer Genesis. Or, to take an album from the same year, Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges... laugh

However, when it comes to music (as with taste in general) it usually comes down to what works for you. I like Skinny Puppy, but I can understand why a lot of pepole don't. DSotM doesn't work for me (for some reason). The reason I'm so outspoken about it (not that I go "thinking DSotM is great is wrong", because I don't think that) is because a lot of pepole seem to think it's the greatest album ever (not just here). So when a lot of pepole proclaim an album I think is... ok, allmost, then I feel like I should provide my oppinion just to give some prespective to pepole who haven't heard it. My idea is that it might be the big expentations that killed the album for me (not that they were very big).

Übereil

I never even knew that it was considered 'the best album ever' by most people when I first heard it. In fact, when I first heard it, it wasn't my favorite, either. It grew on me; I listened to it a number of times before I really started appreciating it.

What does it the most for me, on this album (and in fact all Pink Floyd albums since DSotM), is their cynicism and fatalism, both in music and lyrics.

You do listen to lyrics, right?

"The Large Print giveth, and the Small Print taketh away" - Tom Waits
Sektor #352282 13/05/08 03:19 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Hello, Sektor, are you FAT formatted ? wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
Sektor #352294 13/05/08 07:52 PM
U
veteran
veteran
U
I never even knew that it was considered 'the best album ever' by most people when I first heard it.

'Most pepole' is exaggregateing it... It's one of the more popular aspirants on the 'Greatest Album Ever' though, it has to be said.

What does it the most for me, on this album (and in fact all Pink Floyd albums since DSotM), is their cynicism and fatalism, both in music and lyrics.

You do listen to lyrics, right?

With risk of sounding stupid... Not really, no. rolleyes When I listen to music, I usually hear the music and song melody first, but I don't really listen to the lyrics to acually pick out what they're saying, the music's too distracting for that (I really like music. Once the melodies and instruments pick me up, I have a hard time focusing on the lyrics). Some words stick (well, for some artists more than that), but not enought words to pick out what they're acually trying to say with the lyrics. But if I like a song enought I'll try to figure out what they're really saying. But for that I usually need written lyrics. When I get to that stage though, it usually enchants the experience, so it's not that I don't like (good) lyrics. In songs, I do feel that it's far more important with good music though. I can listen to a song with good music and crappy lyrics but not the other way around (decent music and great lyrics though...).

Übereil

Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think.

Ambrose Bierce
Sektor #352306 14/05/08 07:23 AM
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M
Thank you. It's good to know some people still like it. grin

"And all that is now, and all that is gone, and all that's to come, and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." - Now that's poetry!

up

I like it, love it and all the rest of Pink Floyd. One of the few groups of which I own every album and single, DVD's and so on. I saw Roger Waters' Dark Side of the Moon Tour last year, but I've never had the great fortune of seeing David Gilmour in action.

My dad, also a fan, likes to rub it in he saw them in the seventies. First half of the concert: Animals, second half: Wish You Were Here. I'd kill to see that! rpg001

I am in blood
Macbeth #356414 16/09/08 01:47 PM
M
Chronicler
Chronicler
M

I am in blood
Macbeth #356477 17/09/08 10:15 PM