Originally Posted by Sektor
I never even knew that it was considered 'the best album ever' by most people when I first heard it.

'Most pepole' is exaggregateing it... It's one of the more popular aspirants on the 'Greatest Album Ever' though, it has to be said.

Originally Posted by Sektor
What does it the most for me, on this album (and in fact all Pink Floyd albums since DSotM), is their cynicism and fatalism, both in music and lyrics.

You do listen to lyrics, right?

With risk of sounding stupid... Not really, no. rolleyes When I listen to music, I usually hear the music and song melody first, but I don't really listen to the lyrics to acually pick out what they're saying, the music's too distracting for that (I really like music. Once the melodies and instruments pick me up, I have a hard time focusing on the lyrics). Some words stick (well, for some artists more than that), but not enought words to pick out what they're acually trying to say with the lyrics. But if I like a song enought I'll try to figure out what they're really saying. But for that I usually need written lyrics. When I get to that stage though, it usually enchants the experience, so it's not that I don't like (good) lyrics. In songs, I do feel that it's far more important with good music though. I can listen to a song with good music and crappy lyrics but not the other way around (decent music and great lyrics though...).

Übereil

Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think.

Ambrose Bierce