Originally Posted by KiraMira
The modders are working together to give us even more options for the kisses! There is now a new version of the kneeling kiss with smug expressions. I have just tried it and I think I like the happy one more, Tav looks almost too defiant in the smug kiss. I realize now how difficult it is to hit the perfect expression for this. Seeing how difficult it is I think Larian did not intend for this to look like abuse. I hope the silence is that they are working on it and making sure it's good for the Patch 7 release.
For it to be good Astarion needs to have dominance and Tav needs to show consent without looking like they are challenging him during the kisses.

Well, everyone has their own taste. In my opinion and taste, laughing and smug versions both don't work well at this point, because grabbing the throat is an intense and (for the audience) thrilling moment, I don't like to see Tav smiling at this very moment (until the kiss starts), I'd prefer a more neutral and concerned facial expression with a little fear (without sadness), not knowing what will happen, more like in the romance scene, when Tav is kneeling and Astarion is saying "own your body", or after Astarion pushed Tav down and Tav is looking up to him or when Astarion is grabbing him at the throat after "let it hurt". Also here, Tav is not smiling at Astarion, it wouldn't make sense, because grabbing the throat is - honestly - nothing where someone would smile (in my opinion), it's a power play, there can be passion, arousal, expectation, danger, Tav being on the mercy of their partner in that play. So it doesn't make sense for me, if Tav would smile at the throat grabbing moment. But screaming or looking terrified like in the original version is definitely too much, over the top, it should be less than that. At least, they are knowing each other and this scream or looking terrified looks odd for replay.
Personally, this moment (the screaming or let's say, being in fear) wouldn't be that of a problem, it just shows fear at the grabbing moment, but not if Tav would consent or like to kiss. The kiss itself is consenting (Tav is enjoying here, in the Karlach or bite kiss he is not btw.), but before and after Tav shows sadness, contempt smiles, feeling guilty. While Tav is going on their knees, they even look like little children or teenagers, who got preached by their parents ("Boy, what have you done?"). That some facial expressions can be difficult (when Astarions is grabbing the throat) to choose I could understand, but whatever their intention was with - well - sadness and contempt/fake smiles, also in the other kisses. Maybe sadness, contempt and disgust are feelings of someone else, but surely not of the characters or the players.

Beside of that, it's great, that modders are making and trying different versions. They are doing a good job. I can imagine, how difficult it is.

“I would, thank God, watch the universe perish without shedding a tear.”