Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#419443 18/08/10 07:18 AM
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
For xbox and it feels as if I would've gotten more entertainment out of that money by giving it to the local bum to do an Irish jig.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm the guy that sat through the eye-bleeding experience of FF13, did EVERYTHING there was to do in Oblivion and Fallout, and other such nonsense. But playing Divinity feels like I'm doing something wrong. I play through the mandatory tutorial area, nothing spectacular, but hey, that's how early levels are. Move on to the first town, and talk to everyone. An hour later (I'm not complaining that there is an hour's worth of dialogue in your first visit there, but I'm going to assume 90% of it was unnecessary) I finally go to kill some skeletons in generic crypt #1, and I mash the attack button until my HP goes red (because you're in a 10x10 room with 4 opponents) and I die. Cute thing to note is that the game decides to autosave when I'm at 2-hp. Great, my most recent manual save is 30 minutes in the past. Fast forward, this time making sure to save outside, and making sure I know how to quickly use a potion, I button-mash my way through the first room, down 3 potions.

I then saved, turned the game off, and unless I'm missing something huge, plan on returning the game to the store and finding something else to play.

So I ask, forum-goers, WTF am I doing wrong, and if this really is how gameplay is in this game, was I misled by believeing this game wasn't another Diablo clone with 3d graphics?

stranger
stranger
It's far (really far) to be a diablo-like... If you was thinking "it's a hack&slash"... It's normal, you was wrong in the very beginning.

Come from the flames, burn in the fame.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Kafkasic
and I mash the attack button until my HP goes red (because you're in a 10x10 room with 4 opponents) and I die.

Button mashing is pointless buy some skills. level up etc.

Just a word on the crypt, if you lost so much health, its more to do with your gameplay style than the game.

You have a dodge button (jump + direction), use it to roll away from the monsters and get behind pillars etc. for cover, then nip out, do some damage, then back into cover.

You can assign buttons for potions etc and you can also set up the game to PAUSE, when you reach a certain low level of HP, so that you can chug a potion if needed.

Maybe try a different class, see if that suits your playstyle better.

Last edited by Fiach; 18/08/10 08:25 AM.
A
veteran
veteran
A
I don't dodge at all. That's a thing I never did (and hated) with Gothic, too.

But - you can get out of a fight anyway. You just need to think a little bit more.

Archers have it especially hard, you MUST get your hero a second weapon for close combat, I guess (purely from my personal experience).

Level up as quickly as you can, spend nearly all of your money (that's again my personal suggestion; at your own risk !) into much better equipment - and change the difficulty, if needed.

Plus, you can put PAUSE for a more tactical overview on everything (and for drinking health potions as well, by the way).

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 18/08/10 12:52 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
I don't dodge at all. That's a thing I never did (and hated) with Gothic,

Loved Gothic 1 and 2, working up the courage to start G3 after D2:ED smile

I would dodge alot, Maybe its habit, from playing games like NG etc.

Just for the record, I havent needed to spend any gold on weapons/potions etc. For equipment I would reload chests/quest hand-ins, until I got stuff I liked. Pick up all food/drink, kill any chickens/pigs for food etc.

Some awesome pieces of gear early on are and amulet and an axe from Jackons (iirc) plus an amulet with +1 from the guy in Temple of Doom with +1 lockpick.

addict
addict

So I ask, forum-goers, WTF am I doing wrong, and if this really is how gameplay is in this game, was I misled by believeing this game wasn't another Diablo clone with 3d graphics?

This game is Diablo
but story driven diablo
You cant just go and on level 1 to kil 4 skeletons
go around level up do some quests and things like that and come back for revenge

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
apprentice
apprentice
Diablo has randomly generated stuff: everything in Ego Draconis is tailor-placed, instead. Which way is better is arguable: Diablo's changing maps gives replay value through novelty. Divinity has much deeper story, since a procedurally generated world can only have the most basic quests.

I'm confused, though: you grumble about the conversation, and also about the combat. But, other than combat and conversation, what do you want from a RPG?

The simple answer is "yes, there's stuff you're missing", if you've not even left the first village, and you've only had one combat. Complete some quests. Explore.

The game changes quite drastically halfway through, when your character "graduates", if you will. But even then, it's just... conversation and fighting. Like Oblivion, Fallout3, Ultima Underworld, any RPG game ever released.

What more do you want in an RPG? Please don't say platform puzzles, or so help me I'll...

Game Designer - ThudGame.com
Technical Director - MorganAlley.com
Associate Producer - PayneAndRedemption.com
QA Lead - Furcadia.com
E
journeyman
journeyman
E
In this your level and the level of your enemy makes a HUGE difference.

You're level 2 and the enemy is level 4-5? They'll kill you in 2 hits. You have no chance of killing them unless you know exactly when to roll out of the way, but it'll be slow and painful.

The game as said by some others is said to be downright brutal for the first 12 levels or so, and then it gradually gets easier, so if you can, try and stick with it.

But yeah, there is no level scaling whatsoever in this game. Generic Crypt #1 will always have level 4-5 skeletons regardless if you're level 1 or level 15.

Best advice to give you is to try and do every single quest you come across. If you enter a dungeon and the enemies are a level or two higher than you, then leave and see if there's anything else you can do for a few levels.

And I'd also recommend checking out gamefaqs for more advice, one of the guides on the PC version is considered the best.

Support
Support

I fought outside the first town for an hour before entering at all (at level 2, the level 4 opponents I started encountering were a little difficult).

Generally if you start having a lot of trouble, or have to burn through potions, there are other areas and quests better suited to your level. The games doesn't force you down a narrow path; you are free to explore pretty much anywhere you can reach, so you can run into tough opponents at times (periodic saves can take care of that).

Main plot quests can be delayed until you are done exploring and doing side quests. If you are told to do something by Rhode (or a couple other characters later) you can delay as much as you wish, though if you are told not to do something, you should at least save before trying it (you are given warnings before entering a specific location with high level opponents that is meant to be done later, as well before a main plot event half way through the game that will effect most unfinished quests).

I never had the auto-save kick in in the middle of combat.

With several topics in the forum about running out of potions (merchant inventories reset each time you level), when I started playing I tried to conserve potions as much as possible, and ended up with way more than I needed just from random loot and alchemy. After getting the battle tower, about half way through the game, alchemy ingredients are fairly easy to get, and you can create as many potions as you wish.

Level 1 of Evade helps with melee combat.

A bow comes in handy even without investing in any ranger skills, as (in most situations) it allows you to draw opponents to you, and either kill them or soften them up before they can get to you. Even later when you start running into more archers and mages, a bow is helpful (you may do more damage by Rush Attacking to fight melee, but you don't necessarily want to get in the middle of a bunch of opponents).

K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Originally Posted by DewiMorgan
What more do you want in an RPG? Please don't say platform puzzles, or so help me I'll...

Platform puzzles would have been nice. smile

you grumble about the conversation, and also about the combat. But, other than combat and conversation, what do you want from a RPG?

I was not grumbling about the conversation. I was simply posting my experience, as I perceived it, in written form. The combat, at least the small amount that I saw, was grumble-worthy. Although that may be due to me having higher-than acceptable expectations for combat systems in console games.

I was also unaware that you were able to sandbox from the get-go and leave the town.

stranger
stranger
Platform puzzles would have been nice.

There are some too... But not in the beginning.

Come from the flames, burn in the fame.
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Sarcasm, my friend. Sarcasm. I had a look at his review and.. apparent hatred for platform puzzles.

so, second day playing. I load up a brand-new char, specialize in the dual-wielding, crack-charging style of warrior-ism, and go sandbox myself some levels and quests.

A few hours later, EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to be done before the, ah, change, is done. I'm level 6 with store-bought weapons, 15 potions and 12 gold.

I run into an f'in untargetable troll that hits me for 34 damage a swing.

Let me say that again.

I am level 6 (Impossible to get any higher at this point) going against a Untargetable (Read also-unkillable) mob that hits me for 1/5th of my life per swing.

Turned the game off, trading it in tomorrow for something more worthwhile. Like maybe Hello Kitty Island.

I'll be sure to badmouth this company every chance I get.

Last edited by Kafkasic; 19/08/10 06:11 AM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
I'm pretty sure I was alot more than Lv 6 back then, out of curiosity, have you met the necromancer? Have you killed the big glowy skull thing? Have you killed the Assassin? Did you beat up the soldiers in the tavern? Have you released the bandit from his cell? Did you Solve the murder on Jacksons farm?

You dont have to engage that Troll, even though there is a cutscene, that may imply that you should.

There should be plenty of mobs around your level in that area, if you stray off the road.

I dont know much about melee as I only play Mage, so I cant advise you in any way there.

stranger
stranger
Wow.....waht a whiney troll! I had problems sure....it's called learning tactics....without that is it worth playing any game? honestly? wow....

"So you take an Apple and a Pineapple, smash them together, and you get a 'Pin-apple' My dear sir!"
Warning, Spoiler:
Behold the glory of Lord Pin-apple peasant! \:D
veteran
veteran

Turned the game off, trading it in tomorrow for something more worthwhile. Like maybe Hello Kitty Island.

Hmm ... you already give up ??? So fast?!? eek

You give up to play this game, but you don't give up to "badmouth" the company? confused

rpg001 Go playing another game and go away ... ! rpg008
evil

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
F
journeyman
journeyman
F

Why would you do that? The game is good, just because you are unsucessful at playing it, doesnt make it a bad game, I suck at Command and Conquer, so I dont play it, but I dont badmouth its devs.

Just because you have played Fallout 3 and Oblivion is no yardstick on which to judge Divinity, they are really noobish RPG's, They have admittedly great production values, but they are designed for mass market appeal, so anyone can just pick up and play, try Fallout 1 or 2, or Morrowind and see the difference.

No seasoned RPG player would make any of the comments you have made.

stranger
stranger
Just wait until the ending then. You will feel like the biggest moron in the universe and each time you try and pick up the game again there will be a big voice in your head screaming ("PAIN!!!!!")

And you are right after having played it all the way through you feel cheated because of the following reasons.

Story sucks ( some don't think so, please shoot yourselves)
Voice acting is horrible
Animation is even worse
Gameplay is hack and slash all the way ( RPG's should be about using your head not insane clicking on mouse )
The skills in the game is half thought through, some are blatantly better then others like exploding arrow and magic blast ( exploding arrow is better because it effects an area )

DID I MENTION THE ENDING SUCKS!?

Support
Support

I like the ending, as do others (though not the majority of people who have posted about it). I heard that Larian is adding in extra sunshine and lollipops for the end of the add-on.

Ending is a MAJOR disappointment. (etc)

Lots of people liked the voice acting, and the animation was generally fine (other than NPCs moving around too much during conversations sometimes).

Choices of skills, stats and weapons can have a large impact on combat, though the actual mechanics could have included more tactical choices than how to approach an opponent and method of attack.

Welcome to the forum. wave

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Maladictor

Voice acting is horrible

That lost all credibility for you, maybe english isn't your main language, but the only RPG that surpasses this game for voice acting, is DA:O.

Originally Posted by Maladictor

Story sucks ( some don't think so, please shoot yourselves)

Really? Evidently you are a child or an idiot, to say something like that.

The rest of your rant is subjective.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Fiach
[quote=Maladictor]

Really? Evidently you are a child or an idiot, to say something like that.

Nope. Just a keen observant in spotting german nonsense storytelling.

I cant really understand why anyone would like the game.

Its like playing any game and then you win and then after that they tell you that you lost and that you cannot win in any way. HAHA GERMAN HUMOUR!! FUN!

And it cost me fucking 55 euro!

Darth vader took a shit and it was called Ego draconis, then chewbacca came along and took another dump on it after that they released a stinking pile of poo into the public.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard