Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#423581 05/11/10 11:55 PM
D
DiceDuP Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Can anyone tell me why this game now has a hard cap of 30FPS? I have tried everything to change it but nothing works and I cannot see anything relating to this within the game files or save games.

This really is a game killer for me, and I can't see if it is something I am doing wrong to force it this way, I have vsync turned off in-game as well as in my GFX application settings.

Has anyone else spotted this? Or has anyone found a solution?

Support
Support

The frame rate cap resolves a performance/stuttering problem some people had with the engine trying to render too far ahead (or at least an Nvidia control panel option to limit rendering ahead fixed the problem for some people). They looked at making the cap adjustable, but that cause too many problems.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DiceDuP
Can anyone tell me why this game now has a hard cap of 30FPS? I have tried everything to change it but nothing works and I cannot see anything relating to this within the game files or save games.

This really is a game killer for me, and I can't see if it is something I am doing wrong to force it this way, I have vsync turned off in-game as well as in my GFX application settings.

Has anyone else spotted this? Or has anyone found a solution?

It was going to be adjustable, but that caused issues so it is set to 30.

D
DiceDuP Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
The game is UNPLAYABLE at 30FPS. You should have made this out in the open as this is simply unacceptable for PC gaming.

I purchased the game through steam, please advise me how I can get a refund because it hurts my eyes to play the game like this.

Or maybe at least give us an OPTION to try it ourselves first? I'm not an Nvidia user so why should I have to suffer this crap?

N
stranger
stranger
N
I am so disgusted,

I just launched the game to find it capped at 30 FPS... this is just horrible and not playable. What a waste of money.

I do not have a 5GHZ 12 core system with 32 Gigs of Ram and 4 Gtx480's to play games at 30 FPS.

I know I am on the extreme side of PC gaming, but wow 30 frames... what were you guys thinking. Can you give me the 60 FPS version of the EXE, I will take my chances with performance issues?

I am sorry if I sound like a sulk, but I am really heart broken.

Last edited by Napalmer; 06/11/10 12:31 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by DiceDuP
The game is UNPLAYABLE at 30FPS.this is simply unacceptable for PC gaming.

I purchased the game through steam, please advise me how I can get a refund because it hurts my eyes to play the game like this.

indeed same here, i was waiting this game like a kiddo is waiting for christmass but my eyes are almost bleeding when i play it!

G
stranger
stranger
G
Wow, I've never seen a post with quite this much pathetic b*tching before.

Clearly no one here watches movies where the standard framerate is 24fps
or tv which tends to be 30fps

The framerate of 30fps is "unplayable" if you're playing a twitch action game like an fps, where you aim all over the place in first person.

While there is a difference between a 60 and 30fps, to make such a big deal out of it for an rpg (to the point of wanting steam to give you your money back) makes you all sound like whiny little b*tches

This game seriously cannot get a break from anyone for some reason; every misstep is blown out of proportion while new vegas stumbles along, barely able to keep running for an hour without hard-crashing, and you all fondle it lovingly

the behavior is absolutely nauseating

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Gilded

The framerate of 30fps is "unplayable" if you're playing a twitch action game like an fps, where you aim all over the place in first person.

While there is a difference between a 60 and 30fps, to make such a big deal out of it for an rpg (to the point of wanting steam to give you your money back) makes you all sound like whiny little b*tches

This game seriously cannot get a break from anyone for some reason; every misstep is blown out of proportion while new vegas stumbles along, barely able to keep running for an hour without hard-crashing, and you all fondle it lovingly

Lol, you just complained more than all of us combined.

A TV running at 24 Fps is no where near the effect of computer running at 24 FPS. A TV has a blur effect that makes it appear almost seamless.

Check it out http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

Also why bring up Vegas... I put over 100 hours into the game with no crashes. I know it has bugs (most of which are just funny), name me one game in the last 10 years that was not released with some. Guess what, I could play it without having my eyes burning out of my head.

A hard cap of 30 FPS on a PC game is not acceptable. Fan boy all you want, it is a very valid complaint.

G
stranger
stranger
G
1st, I am not a fanboy

to be honest I am critical of all games, I haven't played a good game in years and this one is not about to change that

2nd, when it comes to framerates, as long as it is consistent the brain should have no problems.
the issue comes when there is a lot of variation which is why there are actual legit framerate concerns for games out there

in this case, with all of your rigs seeming like they could handle this game at 30fps consistently, no problem, the constant negativity over not getting the precious 60 really ticks me off

the comment about new vegas seems out of line mostly because it is, as far as this forum is conscerned, my anger stems from observations I've made for a long time about gaming journalism which is what brought me to this game in the first place (this is besides the point)

I just ask that you all take a step back and use some perspective, these forum topics don't head in the right direction
the negativity isn't going to make you appreciate your investment any more

Last edited by Gilded; 06/11/10 02:38 AM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Gilded,

Do you personally feel there is no difference between 30 and 60 FPS? If so, then there is no point conversing as you already have your beliefs.

If you do think there is a difference, why does it bother you so much when there is an obvious difference which impacts the game play for many users.

It is not like we are complaining about something petty like the color of the dirt.

There are some important parts of a game to me.

-Gameplay
-Visuals
-Immersion
-Audio
-Polish
-Enjoyability

The thing is something like a 30 FPS cap kills all but the Audio category for a player like me. Which is a shame because it is only one thing that sucks the goodness from the whole game.

We only bring it up to try and get a resolution. Heck, even if it is a 60 FPS EXE that comes with a 'use at your own risk' disclaimer. I am not trying to heckle, I am letting the owners know of a concern in the hopes it will be fixed smile

G
stranger
stranger
G
I can understand wanting 60 over 30, if there is a way to get 60fps and the developer can follow up on this then that is fantastic

I am critical of turning a somewhat legit concern into b*tching

If the steam forums and this forum were simply filled with inquiries on getting a 60fps fix that would be one thing.

This gets into the territory of "if you don't focus on what's wrong it won't be so much of an issue", (like my monitor gets ghosting but it only annoys me when I focus on it type of thing)

The posts aren't going in the right direction, just a pile up of negativity without perspective, people demanding money back, people not giving the game some time based on principal. I would be more sympathetic if there was not a reason given for the cap, if this were a genre where twitch camera movements were part of the gameplay and needed a high framerate.

Not enough people dealing with their investment, just a lot of negativity over one of the few things that the user can actually adjust to if they are receptive

also making potential players look at it negatively before they even look at the game running themselves, without knowledge of the framerate, and judge if it really is "unplayable"

stranger
stranger

We have the right to do so, we just payed 40€ for it.Me, my brother and my roomate took the game the minute it came on steam and none of us is playing. Do you think this is normal? We are b!tching because we can't play our game. If you can i'm happy for you but i can't like many others. And yes 30fps cap in not normal

Not being technically minded, I don't understand. What difference would I see if the game ran at say 60 fps?

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Paris
Not being technically minded, I don't understand. What difference would I see if the game ran at say 60 fps?

When you move it's actually smoother. It is even better until you reach about 120FPS, after that there is no visible gain.

Still, being one of the people that never finished D2:ED because of the stuttering, I really hope the 30FPS and other improvments fix it smile

D
DiceDuP Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Guilded, please think about what you are saying, there is a difference between the animation a graphics card produces on a 60hz monitor and a video recorded at 25, 29 or 30fps. We have a legitimate argument, so please go troll elsewhere if you have no issues with it.

Oh yea and by the way, some Nvidia users had the same stuttering issues with the original game yet they never capped that below 60. I am confident that the same issue exists with the new engine, so it is totally unreasonable for Larian to cap it at 30 and end up affecting so many users who had NO issues at all with the original game.

As for the "I want my money back" thing - I am usually the last person to get angered to the point of wanting this, but I feel like I have been conned. As I ran the original game at 60fps then there would be no reason for me to even consider it would be capped at 30 when I chose to purchase it. Just like boxed versions, or game listings on steam and elsewhere put in miminum requirements or notices of DRM, they should also show that the game is capped at 30FPS.

I know in my own mind that if I had been shown the 30FPS cap was there I would not have bought the game, and that is what has led to my anger of wanting my money back. Yes it is negative, but if the developers want to give reasons for negativity without warning, then that is what they get.

Finally, "not giving the game time on principal" is totally incorrect. When I boot up the game and find it running in 30fps the first thing I did was take time to go through all the files in the game's folder in an attempt to see if I can find some way of disabling the 30fps cap. There was no way, and that is when I came to the forum to complain about it.

There is no need to give it time, it is not based on a principal, it is based on experience of buying other games in the past that also came with a 30fps hard cap - which ended up in the same way, which is not ever being played.

The only way a game on a PC can be cured of this problem is for the developers to add some kind of motion blur to the graphics engine. Many other games which gamers find difficult to run at high resolutions (f1 2010 being a good, recent example) adopt a motion blur method (which explains why video looks smoother at 25 or 29fps). This helps to make the animation appear more fluid.

To summarize - Larian obviously won't remove this cap, but I plead to Lar_q or whoever has authority, to find some way of allowing those of us who don't want the forced cap and would like at least the opportunity to try and run it at 60 (like the majority did with the original without problems). If we try and it doesn't work then at least we had the opportunity. Leaving this as it is now makes me feel like i've been scammed.

Last edited by DiceDuP; 06/11/10 01:18 PM.
W
stranger
stranger
W
I'll add my voice the "feeling scammed" camp as well. This plus the continued lack of anti-aliasing has turned me from super excited about one of my favorite games of the past two years into extremely disappointed and disgusted. I know that no developer wants to say anything negative about your own game before it's released, but not telling the people who had already played DII that you had actually DOWNGRADED the graphical experience in this way for the "remastered" version is pretty damn unethical.

I tried to play for about an hour, but the ridiculous framerate cap just ruins the experience for me. It's like anti-aliasing. Some people don't even notice it, but for others it's makes a huge visible difference.

I enjoyed DII so much that I was essentially willing to re-buy the game.Now I can't even enjoy playing it. Yeah, scammed feels about right. Had I know about this, I would never have picked up the Dragon Knight Saga, but would certainly have just gotten Flames of Vengeance instead. Actually, that what I still want to do, but I just can't stomach giving even more money to Larian after this debacle.

C
stranger
stranger
C

Please don't post further about this topic; you're clearly not educated enough in this field to leave valid input.

Every game has its flaws, and everyone would like certain flaws made to their own view of betterment. We're not here to find excuses to not complain or suggest features because another game that is maybe more popular, isn't doing as well.

Customer complaints are the most valuable resource for improving.

apprentice
apprentice
Well i have to admit i too am really disappointed with the fact that the game is caped at 30fps... i ran the original at 60fps.
So having better graphics but lower fps really frustrates me.. Is it unplayable though? no not in the slightest (heck almost every console games runs at 30fps)

I would have just liked to know beforehand.

Here's hoping they release a patch or fix to remove the cap, maybe if enough of us tell me how much we hate it they will listen to us.

M
addict
addict
M
Something the newcomers may not know.

The 30FPS cap is something that we have known here for months.
Maybe Larian didn't communicate enough about it, but on the forum that point has been known for months (at least 4 months).

D
DiceDuP Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Well I haven't known about it at all. There is no pre-requisite stating that if you buy a game then you have to goto the game's forums to find such information. I visit games forums for PC games that involve online interaction, or are required for patches. But then I get my games through Steam, which keeps games patched up and is also (supposedly) where I can find relevant information on the game, it's requirements, and any other news.

Just because you have known about it for months just fuels the fire that the developers and Focus Home Interactive knew about this and failed to inform their loyal game buyers via the most successful digital sales platform in the world.

Where was this information on the homepage news? Is it somewhere in the archive news? I'm sorry, but putting such information on the forums isn't adequate. I also trundled through Lynn(?)'s posts in the FAQ and found NO mention of the 30fps cap.

I am a newcomer to this forum, but I have played all Divinity games since release from Divine through to Eco Draconis. I've never yet felt a need to visit the Larian forums for information on pretty much any of them, hence why my forum account is new.

PS : I know I may be coming across as some kind of troublemaker, but really I am not. I have put up with so much bad service from PC games over the years (mostly with EA games) but 9 times out of 10 there is usually a solution, either with drivers, or some other config solutions. The fact that there is absolutely nothing we can do without the aid of modders to release something is quite infuriating. So much so that I had to come here and create an account just to try and get help.

A representative from Larian (I think the ownwer) almost instantly replied to my post about "where is the 33% discount on steam" and the problem was rectified within an hour.

Why can't that same representative who clearly must have read this thread respond now? Was the fast response earlier because it was something that needed fixing to get my money? Maybe "Lar" would care to take the time to reply in this thread.

Last edited by DiceDuP; 06/11/10 06:07 PM.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard