Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Adraeus
Originally Posted by MTB78
Right on sorry, didnt think it was a big deal. Just kind of weird as the original wasnt locked at 30 so though maybe something was wrong.

No need to apologize. I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Just saying: a steady 60 frames per second is a huge technical challenge that requires a lot of manpower, time, and other resources. That's why Insomniac, which was the leader in this performance category, ultimately discontinued the practice. They'd rather spend more time on other elements of their games than on this very tough hurdle that really only the very best software people can overcome and which very few consumers actually appreciate. If you want a game that runs at 60 frames per second, you have to start with that goal from the beginning.

That might apply to console games but on PC your computer decides what the game runs at, and my computer would run this at 60 or even higher without a problem. The cap has no purpose, it needs to be patched out.

Very disappointed to hear about them adding a cap. Will probably keep Ego Draconis and buy FoV as an add-on if it doesn't get patched out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet
Very disappointed to hear about them adding a cap. Will probably keep Ego Draconis and buy FoV as an add-on if it doesn't get patched out.

The systems were not always doing the frame rate correctly, so they have the program decided. However, it seems that when it was not locked then thread deadlocks occured. The reason it is 30 is because they did not what to raise the requirements.

stranger
stranger
Hrm, I've been interpreting the complaints about frame rate far too accurately. The "frame rate" issue at hand is about vsync and can be patched. According to Lar_q, Larian is looking at the problem.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Ok after seven hours, even if I HAVEN'T left farglow yet... I can see a few things.

First of all it's a major graphical improvement, and I can actually dodge things now, that's great! I think the game has a lot of promise. I just wish I could choose to have respawning enemies so I didn't have to spend seven hours in far glow, slow grinding to lvl 3. (I like to be able to powergind/max out -every- skill in a game, what can I say?)

that said, I have one question, why does all the starting armor offer only 1 type of protection. (Either Magic Ranged OR Melee.) Shouldn't armor protect against all, or at LEAST Ranged/Melee.

Overall though I have high hopes for the game, and can't wait to see what comes next.

Edited out mistakes I can't believe I missed.

Last edited by Jasmine Moldovia; 07/11/10 10:55 AM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm really impressed! I'm playing RPG since 1984 (lol, really old... 39) and it's a great game! I played almost every RPG for the PC in the last 26 years, and this game is a real gem. smile

I play at 2560X1600 with max settings (i7 920 at 4.0, Tri-Crossfire 5970+5870) and everything is buttery smooth. Load time are like 3 sec (SSD). After playing for 12 hours, I didn't crash/freeze a single time. smile

Fun and polish game. Congrats to the dev team! We need more RPG like this!

Last edited by ALev; 07/11/10 03:25 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
After tweaking the graphic settins, I'm now having fun playign the game.

I had bad stuttering even though fps meter says 30-- it was due to vsync. Turned off vsync and problem solved.

Then antialiasing was not working, turned off HDR and AA worked great.

My advice is to turn off vsync and HDR for better performance.

stranger
stranger
I think DKS is much improved over ED, also the faster leveling is much welcome, I struggled alot in the beginning in ED but Im having a much better time with better gear and the re adjusting leveling. Some people may not like that, and Im not sure if it changes on higher difficulties but it does improve the game alot, I think most people who complained about Ego will definatly enjoy DKS now.

Graphics wise it runs nicely, but I have a modern gaming PC, and I've not noticed problems or had to turn anything down.

I really dont understand people who think RPGs should have crazy difficult combat and that good equipment should be rare, RPGs are about storyline and immersion, if you strip that out and focus on combat all you have is a pseudo action RPG like Resident Evil or Gears of War or something, and I really dont understand stripping an RPG down to that, Im glad Larian listened to the reviews about this.

Im really enjoying DKS, in Ego I ended up burning out by the battle tower because it was just so boring banging my head against enemies with so much HP, it just dragged on and severely hampered my ability to enjoy and follow the really good storyline.

old hand
old hand
Some more impressions:

- I can't buy mana potions anywhere anymore. This makes playing a wizard before you get the battle tower much less fun.

- Being able to dodge arrows is useless, since stun/poison/explosive arrows still home in like missiles.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by virumor
Some more impressions:

- I can't buy mana potions anywhere anymore. This makes playing a wizard before you get the battle tower much less fun.

- Being able to dodge arrows is useless, since stun/poison/explosive arrows still home in like missiles.

Have you checked with the priest that gives the quest Lovis's Loot? He had a lot in D2:ED.

X
stranger
stranger
X
I bought it yesterday and played for a few hours and so far I'm loving the game. I never played ED so everything about it is new to me. The quests are fun, the combat and skills are good, and I really like the mindreading feature. There are a few downsides like the controls/camera feeling a bit awkward (especially when you're in a small room trying to loot stuff) and the FPS cap is noticeable, but all in all it's a VERY fun game to play.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by Gwenio
Originally Posted by virumor
Some more impressions:

Have you checked with the priest that gives the quest Lovis's Loot? He had a lot in D2:ED.

I've checked all merchants in the broken valley village: None of them sell potions anymore.

I suppose less potions but mega powerful weapons balance each other out.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Have you checked with the Doctor in the Tavern??? He sells a whole BUNCH of potions.

Also i'm up to level 22. Game is EPIC. Being a dragon ROCKS. Nowhere near finishing it anytime soon. 20 hrs in. Loving it.

My favourite things about the game:
-mini puzzles that aren't quests that result in skill points/stat points/items
-Mind reading
-Dragon form!!!!
-my creature!!!!
-my throne room!!!!

EDIT: also best leggings in the game were my paperthin leggings!!!! BUY THEM! DO IT!

Last edited by yogibbear; 08/11/10 11:57 AM.
veteran
veteran
I've made it past the first part, and after that I got the "West Valley" and "Lovis' Tower" shrines quickly (for enchanting and for good "waiting around to heal" music respectively)

I love the minor adjustment with the velocity of projectiles. They still seem really fast, but now they can now be dodged. The trick is that if you're using ranged weapons or spells, you can still get hit, so you need to time your attacks more carefully.

I'm sure that the experience rewards from quests are bigger than before. That's why I'm gaining levels faster. However, something odd seems to be happening with quest rewards. I see things like Potatoes and clutter items like Knives show up as a chooseable quest reward. I guess that's part of a system that generates random items that can be quest rewards. That should probably be restricted to things like formulae and equipment, because food and clutter items shouldn't be part of a quest rewards table.

Equipment has been MUCH better, I've already found pieces of 3 new low-level sets, and I've found much higher quality equipment from enemies. I even found a Legendary-quality bow at level 1. It wasn't a whole lot better that what I was using, but it's the principal of the thing. The thrill of seeking loot is back. Because of the new set items, I've been putting points into Lockpicking much earlier, I used to hold off before.

I'm wondering if they tweaked magic damage or enemy health, because I don't remember Rank 2 Magic Missile being so incredibly effective so early, it kills level 4 skeletons in one hit.

I've had to use a lot fewer health and mana potions, I'm mostly only using those for really desperate times.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I'm using Flames of Vengeance, not the DKS version, but the graphics update is very nice and very noticeable in the main Ego Draconis campaign. I decided to start over, at least for a while, and the game is just stunning to look at now, really good show Larian! With AA forced it is one of the best looking games out on the PC to my mind, especially in this genre.

veteran
veteran
Impressions Part 2.

In ED, if you were very prudent, and did nearly everything you could think of, you could be level 6, almost to level 7 by the time you met Talana. Then the difficulty curve spiked, as while levelss 1-6 weren't too bad, suddenly 1-3 enemies of Level 7 were incredibly dangerous, and since those were in every direction after reaching the new area, it was a bit of a challenge, and you had to be careful not to advance too boldly.

In DKS, I was level 7 or 8 by the time I reached Talana, and there wasn't a spike in difficulty. That spike has been moved up to level 10-11. 3+ level 11 enemies are a real challenge that I must be careful around. I tried entering the Temple of Doom at level 12, and the level 10 enemies in there seriously kicked my ass, and the groups of other Black Ring are really, really dangerous. But the difference in difficulty spikes was that I had a lot more breathing room, more places to level, more levels.

Even starting with the 3 complete sets isn't helping that much, I've had to sell 2 of them and I still don't have that much money.

I think that the bug with the 3 sleeping people has been fixed.

I'm not quite certain, but I think that the weird physics bug from running and jumping off a cliff has been fixed as well. EDIT: Nope.

In real life, if you run and jump out into space, your momentum keeps you moving horizontally forward until you hit the bottom. In ED, when you ran and jumped, your forward momentum went to zero really quickly, and you just fell straight down - this was especially irritating because you're SUPPOSED to jump off cliffs to change into dragon form, but when you, say jumped from beside the Grand Knight in the Fjords, you'd get "I haven't got enough room" because you were falling straight down beside the cliff. I just jumped off a bridge in DKS, and I kept moving forward! EDIT: I tried it more times elsewhere, and I was wrong, I keep losing forward momentum.

I sure hope they fixed the annoying last jump in Barnabus's "Sinster cave", where after you shout off the force field, you need to take dragon form... bu the problem is that the rock you're on is about 5 feet above the lava.

Last edited by Stabbey; 09/11/10 05:04 AM. Reason: correction
E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Status update: I'm now level 27 in the orobas fjords, still using the blood echelon sword you find in lovis' tower along with a mace that has about +70 magical damage. I switched from sword/shield using the blood echelon sword and shield with my average damage shown in the inventory screen being around 300+100 magical and 600+100 magical with battle rage to dual wielding the sword and mace, now I'm at 650+80 magical and 1200+80 magical with battle rage.

So yeah, I think I broke the game?

The only thing that saddens me is the old unique weapons you'd find in the game, like Brightblade, have been left relatively unchanged, meaning they're completely and utterly useless compared to +65 physical damage or +70 magical damage weapons =/

And Stabbey, I just did that one, and you can indeed become a dragon while standing safely on the platform smile

Last edited by Eliirae; 09/11/10 12:19 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
This game is awesome. I bought the original on release day from Steam and when I saw DKS for sale (and 33% off from Steam when you have the original) I jumped on it!

Don't regret it AT ALL even though I spent over 75$ for it (EG + DKS), the money goes to a great dev and I hope other games like this one see the light from you Larian!

Million thumbs up, enjoying the game so much. This got a lot of flavor compared to dimmed, gray NA RPGs we see.

Love it!

Gaming machine : Win7 Pro 64-bit | Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7GHz | Sapphire HD 6950 @ 1536SPs | X-Fi Titanium HD | 6gb DDR2-800 | LG 23" LCD 1080p
M
stranger
stranger
M
I want to echo the high praise for the game. Coming from a deep gaming background that includes a fair number of mainstream as well as lesser known titles, I am really impressed with this game. This really is a gem that has some interesting gameplay mechanics, like building your own battle companion and owning your own tower. It hits all the necessary notes, for a fun, engrossing rpg. And thank God the dialogue and voice acting are generally spot on. Very nice job all around.

RPG fans, if you are sitting on the fence, grab this version and you are sure to have many hours of fun with this one.

Cheers!

Mike

Patience may be a "kingly" virtue, but I am not of royal descent.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
And what also makes a difference is that Larian care what you think and when somethings wrong, they're on it.

Nice one guys.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Eliirae
650+80

Not cool at all. That is more than my level 35 end-game character from Ego Draconis could do if I got level 10 damage upgrades at the enchanter (costing a Malachite Gem EACH) and used charms.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard