Okay, so a discrete graphics card is basically like "dedicated" graphics card that is used when doing intense graphic stuff like gaming and HD movies?

Whatever I purchase is for my all-purpose + gaming machine. I don't have the time or space for separate machines. I went to the Toshiba website and found that the price of the machine I listed above starts at $899 through them!

At the Toshiba site, I did a 'custom build' on one of their Satellite models, just to see what it would look like and what the price would be-- the quickie is this (including a discrete graphics card)-- please let me know what you think, because you're far more equipped then I am for um, comparing comps. I guess I'm also wondering if I do have enough info to do a custom build that will give me exactly what I want and need, and have it still be decent for all-purpose and gaming. I've gotta just post the specs quick and get off here because I think I just saw some lightning! Crap, lighting storm w/ very dark overcast skies. Hurray. Feel free to comment on any of the specific choices so I can see where I lack knowledge.

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the replies. Special thanks to candlebbq for taking the time to provide me with information to bring me up to speed a bit. More lightning, gotta go!

Quick Specs on the custom build,
Toshiba Satellite A660-BT2G25 Laptop :
* Intel® Core™ i7-740QM processor (1.73 GHz (2.93 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB Cache
* Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit
* 6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (4096MB+2048MB)
* 500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
* NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M with 1GB GDDR3 discrete graphics memory
* DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
* Glossy Black LED Backlit Tile keyboard
* Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell, 48Wh)
* Broadcom Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth® Version 2.1 +EDR
* Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter
* Norton Internet Security Suite (NIS) 2011 (30-day trial)
* 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty

~~CierraShore

"I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have LOTS of lives!"