Morrigan may have been raised in isolation by a witch or dark being but I think - if given the choice - she would carry out evil deeds as she often enjoys seeing The Warden doing such. If we were to judge her by her actions, then she's evil because she wants to bring an "Old God" baby into the world from the soul of the archdemon. She's selfish and only out for herself unless you romance her which makes her care about you too.

Leliana was evil once but she turned from her ways and can be described as lawful good. Alistair can be described as chaotic good (killing Loghain if you let him). Duncan can be described as Renegade Shepard but sympathetic too. He too has a dark past but repented. Duncan mostly only cares about stopping the Darkspawn threat (and if you read the books or history on DA Wikia, Duncan was to protect their (Grey Wardens) guide in The Deep Roads, King Maric Theirin, or, should the king learn information detrimental to the Order, kill him, this shows that The Grey Wardens only care about the Darkspawn threat and while they would probably feel bad about killing innocents - if need be, they would do it because the Darkspawn are the greater threat) mages, Templars and politics can go to Hell for all he cares.

Zevran can be called selfish too and probably lawful evil.

Since this game is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate (a D&D game) it's not hard to see how the characters in the game have alignments from D&D.

I mean the player is given the option of healing a wounded soldier in the Korcari wilds or killing him for no reason. The neutral choice is to patch him up a bit so he can make his way back to camp himself. Let's not forget how many innocents you can kill at times, from the Doomsayer in Redcliffe, to the bartender and even that prisoner in Ostagar.

I'd like to point out that this is why I love Dragon Age. People have different views on the characters because of the depth surrounding them. As I was telling Divine Avenger in the DKS sales thread, DKS doesn't have this kind of character depth with characters to warrant people to even discuss or debate about them. I'm hoping this changes with the Dragon Commander game, having characters with extensive backgrounds and depth helps immerse you with them. I'm only immerse with The Divine One because I played as him and can feel attachment with him whereas with Damien - he (along with Zandalor) - is the only NPC (while we can control him in Beyond Divinity, he's not the protagonist and is simply our companion throughout the game) that I feel has some depth.

The Divinity series basically only has Zandalor and Damien as the most interesting characters. Bellegar and Ziz-Zax are simply just there and slightly interesting but only their dialogue remains memorable and not them themselves. Maxos is also somewhat memorable because of how the game hints to him, his adventures, importance to the past and his sudden disappearance. There's also a lot of lore to his background.

Zandalor is interesting because of how he sees things. He's not presented as the mentor or the guy who you could fall back too. He's not presented as the guy who knows everything too. He's powerful and a force to be reckoned with but he's not Gandalf (despite the similarities). If The Divine failed, Zandalor wouldn't have been able to save the world. He's presented as having hope in his heart but also seeing how things could be bad if all fails. He's also presented as being a man who loves all that is good. This can be seen when he meets The Demon of Lies who he absolutely despises.

In Divinity 2, he's forgettable because he's presented as the mentor, even his voice and hand/arm movements hint to him just being there as the DKS mentor and the guy who can be relied upon. He just appears from nowhere to debate with Damien and then to tell you to take dragon form. In Divine Divinity, after The Divine One's death and resurrection, you see how Rivellon has gone to Hell in the time you've been gone. In Divinity 2, he saves the day with the help of the Dragon Knight. Also in Divinity 2, he's far more optimistic. "FEAR NOT ALEROTH FOR I WILL SAVE YOU YET!" and then speaking poetry about The DK's journey "An epic in the making! You are part of a conflict, the conclusion of which you shall decide!" In Divine Divinity he's more down to earth.

Damien is interesting because of his motives, because of how he loves Ygerna and because of his colorful background and history. There's some mystery to him and that's what makes him interesting. He's not presented as a depthless villain who you just kill and then "Game over". There's so much more to him.

Dragon Age: Origins has Alistair, Duncan, Loghain, Calian, Morrigan, Leliana, Zevran, Sten, Oghren and Shale who all have their own personality, goals, morals and code that they live by and there's more to them than meets the eye. Oghren - while always being drunk - was actually a warrior for a noble dwarven house and he was married to the Paragorn Branka who later ditched him because she was lesbian...ahem. While he may appear insensitive to things at times, he does care about those that he loved and in Awakenings, you can even get him to finally spend time with his son. Sten - while appearing all stoic - actually has a good side to him and actually turns out to be quite honorable where at first, I thought he was evil but he simply follows a code that I disagree with but even still, he has honor and approves of you bringing an injured warrior (in the Brecilian forest) back to his camp so he could be healed.

This is why I feel Origins is the better RPG. Characters have more depth.

Last edited by Demonic; 03/09/11 11:09 PM.