E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
hi i was wondering should i do the fjord before i do maxo;s temple or after

Support
Support

You can do part of the fjords before Maxos temple if you wish, but most will need to be done after (there is a barrier that can not be removed until you become a full dragon knight).

The opponent at the end of the temple is level 15, so it would help if you were at least close (level 15 would give you access to spells like Healing, etc). The opponents at the beginning of the fjords are about level 18 or 19, IIRC, with level 20/21 opponents a little further in. Even at a higher character level, the opponents down the mountain path are fairly easy to defeat (especially for an archer).

When you complete Maxos Temple you will get access to Sentinel Island. Your first encounter there you can mindread to go up a level, so the higher level you are the more of an experience bonus that will be. I made it to 22 in the fjords, with Broken Valley pretty much cleared (only a few quests left to turn in). You don't need to get to a high level, but it would be better if you got to a new level before entering, to get a full level bonus (equip anything you have with a Wisdom boost).

veteran
veteran
I'd do it after the temple.

I might clear up to the waypoint on the path, but no farther.

At most, the beach at the bottom, but no swimming, if only because it would be boring swimming and then having to swim back.

Support
Support

You can find a dragon skill book before becoming a dragon knight if you explore the fjords early, though that certainly isn't essential (you will have equipment by then with skill bonuses, and in the original release of D2:ED you are given a dragon skill book in Maxos temple).
The book is in the cave under the waterfall, in a room with a bunch of chickens.

veteran
veteran
Of course, in Ego Draconis, you take a LOT of damage from enemies who are higher level than you, and you do little in return. This can make attempting to do the Fjords too early an exercise in frustration.

Conversely, when you're higher level than enemies, you do more damage and take less. Doing the parts of the fjords you can reach first could increase your level - but that might make the mandatory parts of the temple and the area after that a bit boring if you're literally untouchable by enemies, and they won't be giving much XP if you do the fjords first.

I remember that spot Raze referred to in Ego Draconis, and even doing it at the level you're meant to was difficult. Getting that specific Dragon skill book before you can become a Dragon is pointless, and not worth getting frustrated over. Getting it early won't save any time, not really.

Support
Support

I didn't have much problem with the mountain path or beaches in D2:ED with my warrior, though going too early could be unnecessarily frustrating. I was level 15 when I finished Maxos temple, but only needed 3k experience to level, so after realizing the mindread at the start of the island was essentially wasted, I reloaded and headed to the fjords. The first couple opponents brought me up to level 16, and working my way down the path brought me to level 17. I used a bow to start combat, at least (didn't invest in any ranger skills, so wasn't terribly effective), then switched to melee to finish them off, occasionally having to retreat to heal. Swimming over to another couple beaches almost brought me up to level 18, but for the last 4k experience there were only level 21 imps left (on the path you can swim to that goes past a mine). After multiple attempts to take out a couple imps, I found my creature was much more effective with a level 2 ranger head (Fireball) than a level 6 warrior head (Rush Attack / Fatality), and had a much easier time reaching level 18. After getting the battle tower I switched to a mage head (Magic Missile).

I mostly finished Sentinel Island before returning to the fjords to explore the rest of what could be reached early, so getting the dragon skill book wasn't terribly hard.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Raze

I didn't have much problem with the mountain path or beaches in D2:ED with my warrior, though going too early could be unnecessarily frustrating. I was level 15 when I finished Maxos temple, but only needed 3k experience to level, so after realizing the mindread at the start of the island was essentially wasted, I reloaded and headed to the fjords.

Oh yeah, definitely do that. I do that all the time. I absolutely agree to postpone traveling to the island until you gain a new level.

I mostly finished Sentinel Island before returning to the fjords to explore the rest of what could be reached early, so getting the dragon skill book wasn't terribly hard.

Maybe, but it's still a short enough trip from the Battle Tower to the teleporter shrine to the Dragon Skill book that getting the skill point a little early doesn't really save much time.

Support
Support

You get dragon skill books and better armour in the battle tower chest after you take it over. Getting the skill book in the fjords early isn't to save time, but to have a little extra edge in the first battle when you get the tower. Neither that skill book or extra leveling is required, but the first dragon battle has been a relatively common problem point for some people (along with Lovis' tower and the final fight of D2:ED).

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard