Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
veteran
veteran
Isometric, turn-based, optional co-op - this all sounds very promising! up

Now I really hope
- the male character is not limited to close combat (and doesn't have to wear full armour all of the time)
- the game will not have excessive DRM.

Support
Support

You will be able to develop both characters as you wish (as with previous Divinity games, there is no strict class system). Not a lot about the equipment system has been revealed, but there should be a variety of armour (possibly robes, etc, if forum requests made after DD were taken to heart).

Nothing has been mentioned about copy protection for Original Sin (or Dragon Commander), but Lar has said in the forum and his blog that he is not a big fan of DRM (The pirate in me). Larian removed the DRM from Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity and DKS (contractual restrictions prevented them from removing it from the original release of D2:ED), so now that they are self-publishing it is unlikely they would start going with more restrictive DRM.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I haven't logged into this site in a very long time. I'm still fond of Larian's games and style and still flattered and grateful that you guys made me into a dwarf in the original game. I just wanted to drop a note saying that you guys made another sale today. Like, immediately. Like if you allowed me to pre-order now, I would give you money. Like this guy:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/264/200/acb.jpg

Swen, you guys are gamers after my own heart.

Thank you.

addict
addict
With respect to turn-based, the number of times you get into combat will be much less compared to the previous Divinity games.. The encounters you have with others will happen much more than you will need to fight and also you can avoid combat by talking your way out of it, although I'm not sure if this applies to all fights and it is likely to require certain stats levels. With the exception of the last bit that was mentioned to me during the presentation.

See me @ The Locus Inn & RPGWatch
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Bedwyr

Thank you.

CD Projekt RED and Larian are our last hopes smile

PS. But the Last Sin's graphics definitely need to be less cartoony & bloomy.

Last edited by Estrogen; 29/05/12 06:20 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Orchestrion
Actually the turn-based combat really excites me. Hacking and slashing has always lacked that strategic element [...]

That's why it is called as "hack&slash" and has its own sub-genre now, thanks to Diablo?

Originally Posted by Estrogen
I'm preety sure that most of the people complaining are "playstation-teenagers" who played only in the recent Divinity instalment on their mommy's consoles...

Your deep insight into the root of the issue astonishes me, man.

Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
I have a suspicion : The birth of the first Dragon Knights ...

Yeah, I thought about that too, but again - why Sin? According to D2 story, the bonds between real Dragons and chosen humans were a blessing, not a curse or something bad.

flixerflax
Haven't read the article yet, will reply when do.

addict
addict
I'll say one more thing about a quote from that RPG Watch article:

"And now Larian feel the RPG players are ready for a turn-based RPG."

Eh....I think real-time with active pause (to issue orders) is still the best bet. It allows deliberation and tactical strategy for those so inclined but also allows the freedom to just let the combat play out.

Turn-based is a big turn-off for many, including me.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kein

Your deep insight into the root of the issue astonishes me, man.

There is no point for deep "analysis" of a very simple problem. The younger generation of players simply demands yet another "awesome & actiony" [ideally without any dialogues] Dragon Knight Saga on their beloved consoles, because terms like "isometric" or "turn-based" sound for them like from completely different period.

Originally Posted by flixerflax
Turn-based is a big turn-off for many, including me.

Then what are you doing here? Because last time I checked the best game in the Divinity series was isometric Divine Divinity. You should install Derp Age 2 from bioware instead and enjoy the "very modern & awesome" third person derpg to the fullest.

Last edited by Estrogen; 29/05/12 07:05 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Myrthos
With respect to turn-based, the number of times you get into combat will be much less compared to the previous Divinity games.. The encounters you have with others will happen much more than you will need to fight and also you can avoid combat by talking your way out of it, although I'm not sure if this applies to all fights and it is likely to require certain stats levels. With the exception of the last bit that was mentioned to me during the presentation.

Thanks, this sounds very good.

veteran
veteran
Estrogen
There is no point for deep "analysis" of a very simple problem. The younger generation of players simply demands yet another "awesome & actiony" [ideally without any dialogues] Dragon Knight Saga on their beloved consoles, because terms like "isometric" or "turn-based" sound for them like from completely different period.

I want it to be isometric with old-school gameplay approach and yet action-RPG at the same time, with more active battlesystem. Now what?

Then what are you doing here? Because last time I checked the best game in the Divinity series was isometric Divine Divinity. You should install Derp Age 2 from bioware instead and enjoy the "very modern & awesome" third person derpg to the fullest.

Do you even read what you say and what you are replying to? Like, really? He said "turn-based", not isometric. It is tow totally different things.

journeyman
journeyman
Do you even read what you say and what you are replying to? Like, really? He said "turn-based", not isometric. It is tow totally different things.

Misread this one, but still - Derp Age 2 is not turn based, so he will probably love it.

veteran
veteran
flixerflax
The article on RPGWatch seems to be quite similar to the french one, just in proper english. Nothing new, but at last I've got the chance to understand some bits regarding the story and it seems promising so far, but I'm still not convinced. Why would Council and Orcs go into fight, if the Council supposed to be exist and formed from all the races only during the rising of the Damned One/Lord of Chaos?

You can also combine objects that are found in the game. If you have poisonous mushrooms you will get very sick eating them but when applied to your weapon it results in a poisonous weapon doing more damage.

Food will nourish you, as expected. It can be found in the game, but you can also create your own food. To facilitate this, there will be recipes and notes lying around that will explain what some combination of items can do for you to stimulate experimenting with them. You can find grain, for example, that combined with water results in dough and if you find an oven you can bake your own bread.

Combining objects also works on summoning dolls. They could be made stronger by combining them with rock, which the doll puts on its fists to hit harder. They are experimenting a lot with the system to find out what the limits are and what can be achieved.

All of this sounds REALLY promising, but damn, turn-based battlesystem really turns me off. Unlike Fallout, in Divinity games it will some kind of layer for me, between the gameworld and me and thus interaction with this world and atmosphere would look a bit... "artificial". Ugh, I don't know.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bedwyr

(..)
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/264/200/acb.jpg

Thank you.

Hear, hear! Well said, old friend, and seconded.

Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
Turn based is bad. It's tipped the balance from 'get' to 'not get' on a few games for me that might otherwise have been tempting.

You might want to give "King's Bounty: The Legend" a shot. It is, in my humble opinion, The Perfect Game (tm). If Div:OS is anything like it in terms of combat (and with hex tiles in combat it very well might be), it'll be incredible.

Do You Like Dreams?
old hand
old hand
Woooot, finally some more info on this game. I'm wondering what engine you guys are using, some in-house engine probably. It sure does look like Divinity 2.0, things you wanted to do, but due to lack of money etc. didn't get into the game.

First big plus is finally a moddable Larian game.
I don't mind turnbased game, it all depends on the implementation. I did play Divinity with a lot of pausing.
Conversations do look more fun when playing with a 2nd person, hope it still is good when soloing.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to more info and keeping a close eye on this one.

enthusiast
enthusiast

I have a suspicion : The birth of the first Dragon Knights ...

Yeah, I thought about that too, but again - why Sin? According to D2 story, the bonds between real Dragons and chosen humans were a blessing, not a curse or something bad.

I think Original Sin will refer to something to do with the Black Ring and the guy who started it.

As for the comments about people who are complaining which I suppose includes me; we are just voicing our opinions. I am not dismissing the game altogether - there will be lots of people who will look forward to and enjoy it & I hope Larian has a huge success with it. Turn based combat isn't something I like but I am willing to give the game a try - I might be swayed.

We are not all young gamers. I'm 36 but I have only owned a PC for around 12 years and never got a chance to play a lot of early classic games. I guess I missed out. I didn't start work till I was 20 and all my money went on other things rather than a PC or game system. My parents were not ones to buy me such things either as they thought computer games were a waste of time.

I play most games on a PC. I don't own an Xbox, just a PS3 which mainly gets used as a blu-ray player. As for old games, they just don't appeal to me now. Even now whith working full time, running a house and seeing family I don't have as much time as I'd like to for playing games. I don't buy many now so I only go for things I really like. I'm sure others will be in a similar situation to me.

Larian's two games suit different audiences - Original Sin will appeal to PC gamers both old and new whilst Dragon Commander will be more console orientated.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by slimgrin
Yes, the art design should be darker and grimmer. It's reminiscent of Torchlight, Diablo 3, Dungeon Siege 2, Pixar, Disney, etc. Not my thing at all. Somewhat cartoonish

There are imho too many "dark & gritty" games out there right now. (Gothic series, Witcher series, Blizzard's series, lots of Action-RPGs ... But not a single non-Action offline single-player RPG.) Compared to them, this game is rather refreshingly new. But that's my personal opinion.

Abd personally, I'm already sick and tired of all this "dark fantasy" fashion wave. I believe it's time for something new in regard to "serious" RPGs.

Eh....I think real-time with active pause (to issue orders) is still the best bet.

Personally, I disagree. "Real-time with Pause" just FEELS differently to REAL turn-based combat - just play TOEE, where you have one of the very last good RPGs using turn-based combat.

Originally Posted by Arokh
whilst Dragon Commander will be more console orientated.

Having seen the new screenshots from that French-language article I begin to doubt that.

It really begins to look like a board game in some screenshots.

Now I#ve been reading through the RPGWatch preview article - and I must say that I'm positively impressed in almost every aspect !

My only concern has the name of "Steam".

I understan that you need to use it, but personally I dislike Steam.
I know that I'm kind of crazy, but I've begun to categorize games which require Steam as "Online Games" - because Steam is basically an "Always On" DRM like Blizzard has used now as well (and before that Ubi Soft was using it).

I#m glad that Steam isn't required for local multiplayer games, though. Although I'll most likely never get the possibility to do so.

To be frank, Steam is to me nohing but an a) "implicite DRM system", b) a massive taker of harddisk space, c) a massive taker of RAM. At least in its default form, when it is loaded each time the PC starts.

From the perspective of system resources efficiency, Steam isn't a big plus.

But what I can't understand at all is the requirement of Steam for publishing own-made mods. Honestly, I just fail to see any benefits of that for me, as a player (and probably modder, too, because I'm still interested in this idea).

I remember that the possibility to publish mods and to build of "modding communities" through Steam was announced several months ago for ... PC games in general.

But using Steam for that is kind of monopolization to me. Sure, it makes things so much easier to have a central where everything is collected in one place (like a library), but it still feels like some kind of monopoly to m. What if Valve begins charging money for that ?

So, my last question is : Will there be other possible outlets for Mods, too ?

[And I do fear that Action-RPG lovers will most likely get rid of all of the turn-based combat s soon as possible altogether ... To form *their* view of how Divinity games "should" look like ...]

@Bedwyr, Arhu : welcome back ! smile

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 29/05/12 10:56 AM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
So it's prequel to Divine Divinity. Did not see that one coming. While i'm bit disappointed that this isn't Divinity 3 and story of Damian, Divine one and dragon knight (and Rhode) won't come to the conclusion yet.....

Turn Based?! Old school?! No hand holding?! isometric view?!... Take my money!! This is what i was hopping for. Can't wait for demo.

veteran
veteran

There are imho too many "dark & gritty" games out there right now. [...]
Abd personally, I'm already sick and tired of all this "dark fantasy" fashion wave.

Because once it becomes popular and demand-able - it becomes mainstream, which produces too much cheap and alike games in such setting. No wonder you want to vomit just hearing about them or looking at them, haha.

Eh....I think real-time with active pause (to issue orders) is still the best bet.

Personally, I disagree. "Real-time with Pause" just FEELS differently to REAL turn-based combat - just play TOEE, where you have one of the very last good RPGs using turn-based combat.

Real-time battle with pause definitely won't be turn-based because of obvious reasons, but personally I'm with flixerflax here - I'd rather see this kind of battlesystem.

Last edited by Kein; 29/05/12 11:22 AM.
Support
Support

Why would Council and Orcs go into fight, if the Council supposed to be exist and formed from all the races only during the rising of the Damned One/Lord of Chaos?

The council and orcs/imps/lizards were at odds during Divine Divinity, so there is no reason some or most orcs couldn't be hostile in a different time.
After the League of Seven sacrificed themselves to defeat the Lord of Chaos in the second war with the Damned, the council continued to function for some time (Zandalor was chosen as the next mage council member). By the time of Divine Divinity it had been inactive for awhile, but there is a lot of time between those events.

old hand
old hand

My only concern has the name of "Steam".

I understan that you need to use it, but personally I dislike Steam.
I know that I'm kind of crazy, but I've begun to categorize games which require Steam as "Online Games" - because Steam is basically an "Always On" DRM like Blizzard has used now as well (and before that Ubi Soft was using it).

I#m glad that Steam isn't required for local multiplayer games, though. Although I'll most likely never get the possibility to do so.

To be frank, Steam is to me nohing but an a) "implicite DRM system", b) a massive taker of harddisk space, c) a massive taker of RAM. At least in its default form, when it is loaded each time the PC starts.

Steam does not require you to be online. Only time you need to be online is when you activate a game. UNLESS the game itself has some of its own DRM included. But steam has a offline mode that works good.

But I understand you rather not have steam and only want to install the game itself to play.

Last edited by Merendrious; 29/05/12 12:01 PM.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard