Originally Posted by slimgrin
Yes, the art design should be darker and grimmer. It's reminiscent of Torchlight, Diablo 3, Dungeon Siege 2, Pixar, Disney, etc. Not my thing at all. Somewhat cartoonish

There are imho too many "dark & gritty" games out there right now. (Gothic series, Witcher series, Blizzard's series, lots of Action-RPGs ... But not a single non-Action offline single-player RPG.) Compared to them, this game is rather refreshingly new. But that's my personal opinion.

Abd personally, I'm already sick and tired of all this "dark fantasy" fashion wave. I believe it's time for something new in regard to "serious" RPGs.

Originally Posted by flixerflax
Eh....I think real-time with active pause (to issue orders) is still the best bet.

Personally, I disagree. "Real-time with Pause" just FEELS differently to REAL turn-based combat - just play TOEE, where you have one of the very last good RPGs using turn-based combat.

Originally Posted by Arokh
whilst Dragon Commander will be more console orientated.

Having seen the new screenshots from that French-language article I begin to doubt that.

It really begins to look like a board game in some screenshots.

Now I#ve been reading through the RPGWatch preview article - and I must say that I'm positively impressed in almost every aspect !

My only concern has the name of "Steam".

I understan that you need to use it, but personally I dislike Steam.
I know that I'm kind of crazy, but I've begun to categorize games which require Steam as "Online Games" - because Steam is basically an "Always On" DRM like Blizzard has used now as well (and before that Ubi Soft was using it).

I#m glad that Steam isn't required for local multiplayer games, though. Although I'll most likely never get the possibility to do so.

To be frank, Steam is to me nohing but an a) "implicite DRM system", b) a massive taker of harddisk space, c) a massive taker of RAM. At least in its default form, when it is loaded each time the PC starts.

From the perspective of system resources efficiency, Steam isn't a big plus.

But what I can't understand at all is the requirement of Steam for publishing own-made mods. Honestly, I just fail to see any benefits of that for me, as a player (and probably modder, too, because I'm still interested in this idea).

I remember that the possibility to publish mods and to build of "modding communities" through Steam was announced several months ago for ... PC games in general.

But using Steam for that is kind of monopolization to me. Sure, it makes things so much easier to have a central where everything is collected in one place (like a library), but it still feels like some kind of monopoly to m. What if Valve begins charging money for that ?

So, my last question is : Will there be other possible outlets for Mods, too ?

[And I do fear that Action-RPG lovers will most likely get rid of all of the turn-based combat s soon as possible altogether ... To form *their* view of how Divinity games "should" look like ...]

@Bedwyr, Arhu : welcome back ! smile

Last edited by AlrikFassbauer; 29/05/12 10:56 AM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch