Originally Posted by flixerflax
Well, that's all well and good, and I'd be thrilled if this game changed my mind about turn-based combat.

What I don't like is people suggesting that if it's not turn-based, then it's a mindless, shallow clickfest where you mash a single button with your eyes closed to win every battle.

There are tactics with real-time w/ active pause. Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Drakensang anyone? Tactics, strategy, deliberation and party management can still be a part of a game's combat without the game ripping the control out of your hands at every turn and making all the pauses for you. It wastes time, and even at best makes combat more like a separate mini-game.

The problem with pause is simply this, balance. You are more precise if you pause every move and if you don't pause you are less precise. Each person has their own taste in how much pause they use when given the choice. So the dev has to make a determination on where to set the difficulty. User pausing half the time or whatever, then balance for that. Whatever they choose you can simply make the game easier by pausing more then what they designed the game for. Always felt like a cheat to me. Then it's messy with who's turn it is and stuff like that, not as big of a deal but messy micromanaging.

Pure turn, you know exactly how the players are playing and can make proper balance decisions. You clearly know who's turn it is as well.

Knights of the Chalice was a great recent little game that reminded me how fun a turn based game is. Waiting for a homage to Wiz 8 as well. A wonderful take on first person free movement, into turned based combat.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 30/05/12 10:49 PM.