Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm glad they've gone this route of releasing a user friendly toolset at release because I can see people creating adventures for Original Sin years after it releases. Look at Neverwinter Nights (released in 2002) which still has people creating modules for it even now in 2012.

I look forward to seeing what mods people produce for Original Sin and I might even create one or two adventures myself. Joram and Jorom are probably going to love constantly having new adventures to play. Hopefully Original Sin attracts a large fan-base of modders like NWN did.

Last edited by Demonic; 12/06/12 04:04 PM.
veteran
veteran
I, Joram, have in my whole life never modded any game ... but with a editor I will try it yes wink

Not sure I've the time to do this that much and for sure I wish first to play div Original Sin about 3 times at least :hihi: ... on that moment I believe it's already 2015 or something biggrin

Don't think this game will come on Xbox too. So I hope I can buy a good laptop (in 2013) to play this rpg on ! smile

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
stranger
stranger
I have used editors provided with games before (Torchlight has one that looks similar). They are generally pretty easy to use, and powerful. I am still amazed at the things people create.

The logic creation was always the scariest part for me, so I will be interested to see how this works in D:OS. I never had affinities to work with in other titles, so it will be new. This is going to be a great addition, and these really add to the game longevity.

stranger
stranger
I had to smile when during the demo they said the editor was designed for ease of use by "normal human beings" not game developers. So... does this mean game developers are not normal??? hahaha

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for ye be crunchy and good with ketchup.
old hand
old hand
I wonder if it will be possible for a group to actually remake Divinity: Sword of Lies out of the editor. It would be rather interesting to at least try.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
We'll do a series of tutorials, so hopefully that'll help. It really is the stuff we use internally & typically after one day of usage new people using are capable of designing & scripting at least some basic quests.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by Barenziah
I had to smile when during the demo they said the editor was designed for ease of use by "normal human beings" not game developers. So... does this mean game developers are not normal??? hahaha

Try to use the tools that came with Star Wars Battlefront I.

I've never seen anything so unfriendly, save a few programs within the early 90s.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
stranger
stranger
Not sure if this has been asked already (apologize if it has), but when comparing against the Bioware Neverwinter Nights toolset, how easy is this one for creating a custom adventure that can be downloaded, played, and rated by other users? Also, how would you rate the scripting language compared to the one used with NWN? In other words, if I put in the time to learn it, can I quickly write scripted adventures and set variables in dialogue etc.

Lastly, I'm assuming you have a landscape "painter" tool, similar to the one used with NWN2, rather than the pre-fab, tile-based toolset used with NWN. Do you have to place each item in the world (for example, trees, rocks, etc.) or do you have pre-sets in place that can be used to accelerate world building?

Note that if this toolset truly is made easy then it would give the game tremendous legs and would draw over a lot of the NWN community, which is a fairly substantial group.

--Falchor

Demonic Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The Beyond Divinity Hero - The Lost Tales and Saga is the name of one of the adventures that I wish to create for Divinity: Original Sin.

The story will follow our epic hero after the events of Beyond Divinity as he reenters Rivellon and heads to the Lar Inc Office in Aleroth to apply for a new role in the Divinity saga but things go from bad to worst for our hero as he journeys to Aleroth. Faced with great perils and a threat which seeks to eliminate him forever, will our hero even reach his destination alive?

The Beyond Divinity Hero - The Lost Tales and Saga answers many questions about the Beyond Divinity hero and delves deep into his background and explains why he's not in Divinity 2. This is the thrilling Divinity installment that fans have been waiting for since 2004.

Release: Winter 2013
Players: 1
Genre: RPG
Rating: 18

[Linked Image]

(I actually do seek to create this adventure. The forum joke will be reality soon)

Last edited by Demonic; 15/06/12 10:46 PM.
old hand
old hand
@Falchor

You can sculpt & paint the landscape quite rapidly. Items can be placed individually, but there's a prefab system that allows you to reuse any grouping of items you placed before. There's also automatic features like wall editing or vegetation placement. As we move closer to release, we'll be releasing quite a lot of info on how to edit worlds.

In terms of the scripting language, it's a different approach than NWN & imho I think it's a lot easier to make a story with it. The two key components are the dialog system & the script logic itself. The scripting language comes with its own tool and has been specifically crafted to be able to tell interactive stories with it. The cool part about is that you quickly get results with it, but it remains quite powerful. As far as dialogs are concerned, that's pretty straightforward too, yet you can still pretty much do anything you can think of.

The idea really is that when we release it, you'll get a full-fledged RPG maker kit where you can make stories than can be played by multiple players, with RPG development methodologies embedded that are based on the knowledge we've accumulated over the years.

stranger
stranger
Wow.

This sounds like a very user friendly system. It sounds like a system tailored to many styles.

For those who don't care as much about the game art/landscape, it sounds like the prefab and clone tools will be super useful, leaving them to focus on the story.

For those who are perfectionists/artists, they can tailor it down to the minute details.

I am really excited by this! This sounds like the best editor I have used to date! Well done Larian Studios!

stranger
stranger
@Lar_q:

Exactly what I wanted to hear on the toolset. You've just increased my interest-level (and the interest-level of some modders I know) by 200%. Obviously, the "proof is in the pudding," as they say, but I'll trust you that we can develop custom adventures akin to NWN with a fair amount of toolset learning on our part.

Thanks!

veteran
veteran
I'm afraid D:OS, with also the editor in mind, will be very very addictive to play & replay and make & play & (re)make & (re)play... an almost never ending story of joy of pleasure ! biggrin

If, and I'm already very sure it WIIL, D:OS is indeed so addictive ...
Forget about the rest !!
Really !
Forget ALL other games, sell them back because you don't have ever time to play (but never say never) other games the upcoming 10 years wink
Say that I've said it here to you, reader, and I mean it !!

We are anno 2012 and today NEW gamers discover that masterpiece that is Divine div, still, after TEN years of it's release !!!
Don't forget div Original Sin will be at least a new Masterpiece - WITH as extra tool an Editor ! - ... at least fifteen years I say to you, fifteen !!

thankyou

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
M
addict
addict
M
Will we be able to mod the toolset (or read some map files)?
I will want to generate "empty" sculpted landscape automatically, or I won't have the patience to design everything.

Yes, I'd rather spend time designing a tool than a map :p

A
veteran
veteran
A
So, a toolset is more easy than a map ? wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
So, a toolset is more easy than a map ? wink

For me, yes smile
Making a landscape will probably be too repetitive for me, while the mod or separate application is not.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Joram
We are anno 2012 and today NEW gamers discover that masterpiece that is Divine div, still, after TEN years of it's release !!!
thankyou

Indeed, I actually deleted diablo 3 few days ago [I think I'm too old for this mindless grindfest with shallow "story"] and installed Divine Divinity instead:) I was trying to understand what made DD so special and in my opinion it was:

- Kiril Pokrovsky's music

- Large, interactive and relatively open world

- Mysterious and beautiful locations [dwarf capital, chapel, castle & more]

- Hidden tresures & items [LOOT]!

- Memorable characters [damien's girlfriend who order you to find her teddybear hahaha]

- Intelligent humour

- Isometric non-aging graphics

Someone can say that those are simple ideas, but those simple ideas were perfectly executed and I really can't understand why games like Dragon Age 2 get more recognition than Larian products [I guess it's just a matter of money & good PR].

Last edited by Estrogen; 19/06/12 07:36 PM.
addict
addict
I must admit that I was so happy when I heard that Larian was working on a new Divinity (Dragon commander do not interest me more than that, I will play it but I do not have too many expectation about it) and I thrilled when I heard that LArian will provide an editor !!

I hope that will trully be a tool as powerful as Larian's guys said !! That gave me a huge idea of scenario (the writer inside me has just awaken^^) that would take place just before Divinity 2 (I am very interesting in the perception of the murder of the chosen one and the Draconis order). I will need help for that but I have two friends that might be interested by this project.
I hope that this editor will include the possibility to make multiplayers, to create new creatures (especially dragons^^), scripted event, special animations (like a battle between NPCs) special battle strategies. and events release mechanism (for example making a decision can change the position and the conversation of NPCs)
The only experiences I have with game editors are with RTS (Age of empire, warcraft 2 and 3, starcraft...) that do not provide the same possibilities about the scenario. That is why I am so excited !!

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
E
stranger
stranger
E
I just registered after finding out last week what this game was all about. I just wanted to thank Larian for a) the game (the premice sounds fun and the mechanics lokk interesting) b)releasing the toolset, and ac) for the dialog system taking into account different advices from the players.

It reminds me a bit of SWTOR way of dealing with multiple choices in instances and I find this very interesting. Still, this intrigues me : what prevents the player who was overruled to do what he damn pleases ( for example killing the princess instead of saving her like the other two wanted). I hope there are possibilities to prevent/authorize this in the editor as this kind of liberty entails a big deal of work for the modder (who may just want to give one choice to the whole party of PCs).

Whatever this answer, I hope we see mods using this system (I'd like to create one but I already tried several times and I know that even with the best tools, you need time to create something "worthy").

Support
Support

If the player who gets overruled can do what they wanted anyway, it wouldn't really be a co-op mode.

Presumably the dialog choices would determine future dialog options, set certain quest updates, determine if NPCs remained friendly / hostile or stayed in the area / left, etc. I would guess if one player could still do what they wanted, it would merely result in an incomplete or broken quest, etc.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard