Originally Posted by crillgamer
[quote=MatTheCat]

There are several games I've enjoyed that get little attention. Some of them were darn near masterpieces imo. But yeah marketing has a huge impact. Not much I can do except tell a few people. They did enjoy DKS and were surprised as well.

Thing is though, whilst I admit that I have spent way longer playing games like Mass Effect or Skyrim than they really deserved to be played (i.e. around 20 hours) as a result of good first impressions and the hype making me think that the magic will kick in if I just have a little more patience and give the game a little more time, ultimately I am forced to admit to myself that despite the high production values and sometimes stunning eye candy in these games, that I am bored out my fkn brains playing these souless empty uninspiring games.

But of course, I know that I am very much in the minority with statements like 'Skyrim, the biggest most overrated borefest that video gaming has ever seen'.

What is wrong with other people though that they cannot either see this or admit this to themselves? Is it the case that the sheer wieght of hype and the pressure of what the world tells an individual to think is great, can really overcome the fundamentals of what genuinely entertains and stimulates the individuals mind? I personally know people who have spent over 100 hours on Skyrim before admitting to themselves that most of the time they have spent on the game, that they were bored out thier heads, despite telling everyone they knew how great a game Skyrim was etc.