You're playing a 4 player-sized strategy map with 2 players. That gives you a lot more freedom to expand wildly and get huge swathes of territory without opposition. Of course you're getting too much money and RP. If you play the 4-player map with 4 players, your income is a lot slower and it gets harder. Like I said, try playing the 4 player map with 4 players.

Look, please stop asking for alliances and trade. As much as you wish it, this game is not a 4X, it was not marketed as a 4X, and it was not designed to have a 4X depth of politics. Those were not removed from the multiplayer, they were never in single-player. *waves hand* This is not the 4X you are looking for. [/ jedi]

You are quite right that the multiplayer could have more depth. The Single-player has a "Custom Campaign" which has you pick a Dragon, Pick a Princess, and pick a campaign map, and dumps you in. It has basically all the politics and decisions of the single-player in it. It's not unreasonable to think that Larian could add a timer for the on-ship sections. That could be a way to adapt it for multiplayer. I am just talking out my butt here, I have no idea how feasible an idea it actually is, but on the surface it seems workable.

I don't agree that gold needs to be gained slower. Try the 4-player map with 4 players and see.

The game could be much different if time was added to research costs. Back in February, it was seen in those videos, but it seems like that was taken out as the beta was starting. That would definitely slow the pace of research if things took multiple turns. Whether that would be good or bad, I couldn't say.

... Of course the person with the largest army and most territory wins. Do you have another alternative in mind?