Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#471558 07/08/13 07:26 AM
N
nad21 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
First of all...I have the GOG-version of the game. But how can I do multiplayer-matches? I can only select LAN-connection. Not Internet or anything else. The manual does not help either.

"For more info on the Good old Games version, please visit the official Dragon
Commander website:
http://www.divinitydragoncommander.com/"

But there is no info on the page. Do I have to register it with steam? But if so, where is the steam-key? I did not get any.

apprentice
apprentice
Mmh, I think it works like this:

1. To have internet-multiplayer you have to have Steam installed and running (be logged in).
2. Then run Dragon Commander (maybe add to Steam as a non-Steam Game -> left lower corner "Add Game" -> "Add a non-Steam Game").
3. The Game should now detect Steam running and use Steam/Steamworks, the internet multiplayer tab should be available.

Keep in mind, that is my understanding how it works, I don't use the GoG.com-Version so that might also be wrong wink

stranger
stranger
Gog user here. Larzare's suggestion is unfortunetly incorrect. I have done this and still LAN and direct Ip is all thats available. Larian have said that you can connect to Steam users by direct ip only.

I myself am furious as this was the intent of my purchase. I cannot get a refund as Ive downloaded the game. The only way I was able to find out for myself.

Bitter ...yes.

N
nad21 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Well then....they should give us a steam key so GOG-users can also play multiplayer online. Or they should have written it in the description, that you can't play online with the GOG-version.

apprentice
apprentice
huh, that's curious.

I actually thought it worked like that after reading: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468356&an=54#Post468356

If it's true that there is no "Multiplayer Lobby" on the GoG.com-Version then they I would interpret that post as a lie meaning there are indeed significant differences between the versions (that can't be compensated by logging in to Steam and adding the game as a "non-Steam Game")

N
nad21 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
There is only a LAN-multiplayer-lobby. No Online or Internet-multiplayer-lobby.

stranger
stranger
From the GOG page:

Multiplayer notice: The game's multiplayer mode is compatible with the DRM-free versions of the game bought on GOG.com AND with the versions that use Steamworks via Direct IP.

My post on the GOG forums:

http://www.gog.com/forum/divine_divinity_series/dragon_commander_multiplayer/post4

As Lazare mentioned :

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468356&an=54#Post468356

Lar q (the op) mentioned Steamworks features only available to Steam customers. This means online multiplayer.

GOG customers are stuck with direct IP /LAN. This is poorly described in GOGs listing page and I have requested a refund. I wont get one but I have ppushing every button.

old hand
old hand
I updated my post to clarify what Steamworks features mean. We don't have any interest in "lying" to you and merely want to give you as many options to play the game as possible.

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
So there is a difference between versions after all.

stranger
stranger
So host some servers? Your not a new company to all of this. Hamachi or tunngle have no servers for this yet.

And as Xelrah said. Yes there is a difference. I have to organise matches now with people rather than sinply visiting an online lobby . There will also be no stat tracking , leaderboards etc. We simply have to just suck it.

Last edited by Rhombus; 07/08/13 10:20 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Lar_q
I updated my post to clarify what Steamworks features mean. We don't have any interest in "lying" to you and merely want to give you as many options to play the game as possible.

I sincerely believe that you have no intent on lying, but this has been a huge miscommunication.
Seriously, I love you guys and have played every Divinity game up to this point (I even own 3(!) copies of Divinity 2 and 2 copies of Divine Divinity; I think that says a lot smirk )

I shouldn't be even bothered (I use the Steam-Version) but somehow I am really bummed how this played out.

X
apprentice
apprentice
X
As owner of steam version I probably don't have to worry just yet, but splitting community will only cause multi to desolate faster than it would normally happen if all versions were the same. So steam users will eventually have a problem due to this as well.
I really hope that you will draw canclusion out of this for the future and not repeat the same mistake again.

Last edited by Xelrah; 07/08/13 10:35 AM.
N
nad21 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Well that's really a bummer. They really should give us steam keys so we can register it on steam. What's the problem with this since all versions are DRM-free?

Last edited by nad21; 07/08/13 10:56 AM.
stranger
stranger
Well GOG offered me a refund. So happy days. Off to buy the Steam version. smile

They admitted to me that the multiplayer description was poorly worded. It has been changed to the following this morning:

Multiplayer notice:: The game's multiplayer mode is only available via Direct IP. It is compatible with the DRM-free versions of the game bought on GOG.com AND with the versions that use Steamworks, however you need to know the host's IP address in order to connect.

Last edited by Rhombus; 08/08/13 12:17 PM.
N
nad21 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Rhombus
Well GOG offered me a refund. So happy days. Off to buy the Steam version. smile

They admitted to me that the multiplayer description was poorly worded. It has been changed to the following this morning:

Multiplayer notice:: The game's multiplayer mode is only available via Direct IP. It is compatible with the DRM-free versions of the game bought on GOG.com AND with the versions that use Steamworks, however you need to know the host's IP address in order to connect.

Very nice. Maybe I'll do the same.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
If you guys want a lobby and such i recommend that you ask for refund and buy the steam version of the game. Also, if you have divinity 2 on steam, you can buy dragon commander cheaper, or at least you could during pre order, now im not sure maybe you still can.

stranger
stranger
Just got my refund. The email I recieved was worded as follows:

Hello,

Normally we do not refund games that have been downloaded, but I now realize how unclear our multiplayer notice was. I have asked our product team to change its contents, to make it more clear that this is what the multiplayer experience in our version looks like.

In light of this, I can either offer you a refund, or four $9.99 bonus codes, if you prefer store credit in such a form.
Please let me know which you prefer, and send me this payment's Transaction ID, for verification purposes.

Regards,
Firek

GOG.com Support

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
So that means the GOG staff also thought the DRM free version would feature a master browser. Go figure.

Support
Support

How do you figure that? Being unclear with their description doesn't mean they assumed there would be a lobby system in the DRM free version.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard