Originally Posted by LordCrash
Nobody should care about people buying something without reading what they really buy. You just cannot prevent people from being dumb. And dumb people will always try to troll and complain about everything, you somehow have to live with it...

Companies like Larian need to care and consider these type's of people and the impact they have - I'm not talking about ppl trolling, I'm talking about people buying the game with no real understanding of what SEA is or what a Alpha/Beta is, being disappointed/upset/angry/etc at the game... then raging on the forums, their twitter account, facebook, etc.

The issue is your not just getting 1 disgruntled customer - your also getting a bad name / reputation with whoever that person has access to... be it real life friends, ppl who follow them on twitter, ppl who read their facebook post's, etc.

Yes, you can never bypass / remove / avoid that situation... you will always get these kind of dumbwits. However, as a business.. companies like Larian really do need to consider these things. The more negative backlash that happens, the worse the games rep will get... and the less money they will make as fewer ppl will buy the game (and yes, you do get ppl who do avoid games that had an early on bad rep).

And with an every increasing backlash against Steam Early Access, as well as backlash against full retail prices SEA games... going this route is risky. Yes Larian will get some more income as people buy the game, however they also get lumbered with all the bad press, feelings & reputation full-prices SEA games are getting right now. Will the extra income they get now from going SEA outway what they will loose from ppl who will now avoid the game no matter what?

They obviously feel they will (else they would not have gone the SEA route), but I worry that they won't. I also worry that this decision will not only adversely effect D:OS, but any game that they make in the future.

Heck, there's already a negative review for D:OS that speaks clearly that the person does not understand what an alpha/beta SEA game is. Complaining about things like loot balancing, control issues, etc.. these are things that can be resolved before the game goes live. But now the game is permanently going to have that negative review stating the person felt they wasted their money.

And the Steam Discussion forum for this game is already pointless and a waste unless it gets moderated soon, and all it will do is help drive people away from the game if they check it out - lots of threads complaining about the price, threads about Larian not being "Inde", threads complaining about performance (oh noes! an alpha hasn't been optimized!),m etc and so on.

Around 50% of the top 30 user made threads are pointless, stupid price/quality/SEA trolling threads. Hopefully long term this won't tarnish Larian or the games future. But who knows.