Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cromcrom #482953 25/02/14 01:19 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Cromcrom
Yeah, once the editor is released, I don't think I will come here anymore acting like I do, because I hopefully will be busy creating what I am talking about, instead of being so frustrated just to be able to talk/argue about it...
I also really hope Larian set up an editor forum. Hopefully when they have time.

Well, when the first NWN came out I was severely disappointed with the handling of the main campaign so jumped feet first into the editor and found myself creating an entire campaign right away. It was easy for me to get into the mechanics of it all. I loved it. But then certain circumstances occurred thus causing me quite a few years of not having access to my one true love (PC gaming) and so I didn't get into NWN2 until it had been out awhile and, sadly, the community had died down by a lot then. Still, I found myself heartily jumping back into it. I've been working on recreating my previous campaign, but it's been slow going and has mostly just helped keep me in the right frame of mind for messing with other editors.

As for Larian creating a forum for the editor, I'm pretty sure they will. If not, you can guarantee the fan community will. And that will happen even if Larian starts their own forum for it.

Out of curiosity, what was the PW you did for NWN2? I'd like to check it out (if I haven't already) if it's still available.

"I may grow old but I will never grow up." ~ Mark Twain
Otaku Hanzo #482966 25/02/14 06:30 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Yes the forum issue is obvious.

As for my PW it is french written :-(
However, here is the link to the forum:
http://frontieres-nwn2.winnerbb.com/

The game code is fully downloadable, free of charges ^^, so help yourself if you want.
You can also download it and play it, of course. A single player can perfectly have a lot of exploration/questing fun in it (there is a main quest, many side quests, and of course, whole randomly populated territories to explore...), but the biggest bosses will require a team to be defeated.

I can't believe it is already 8 years old :-(

When I think about it, the list of features is just ridiculous. But I love adding "realistic" systems, and try to make the world feel alive, reactive, dynamique, randomly surprising, and highly skill based interactive.

Last edited by Cromcrom; 25/02/14 06:45 AM.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Cromcrom #482996 25/02/14 03:10 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I can't believe it is already 8 years old :-(

Yeah. Imagine my feelings when it had already been out for 4 of those before I got my hand on it. smirk

When I think about it, the list of features is just ridiculous. But I love adding "realistic" systems, and try to make the world feel alive, reactive, dynamique, randomly surprising, and highly skill based interactive.

No worries. I'm of the same mindset. Where my problem lies is in dialogues. I give the player tons of options for interacting based on the different alignments which leads to a serious amount of writing. I also love interacting with the environment and tend to get carried away with that as well.

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out later.

Otaku Hanzo #483007 25/02/14 04:50 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Yeah. Imagine my feelings when it had already been out for 4 of those before I got my hand on it.
On the other hand, you had 4 years of modders experiences available on the vault, and a patched editor. Because it did have some frightening and work destroying bugs.

I had a head start with the toolset, that allowed me to release a very basic version of Frontières almost the day the game went out (really very very basic, a starting area, and a forest for respawning saskatwans (name of the native goblin tribe. Whatever). It was really a difficult time because there wasn't much feedback yet, and the editor was buggy. How well, fond memories of creating a world.

No worries. I'm of the same mindset. Where my problem lies is in dialogues. I give the player tons of options for interacting based on the different alignments which leads to a serious amount of writing. I also love interacting with the environment and tend to get carried away with that as well.

It seems we seem to seemingly have the same interests. I also had fun adding loads of alignment based opportunities/dialogues effects, random actions and stuff.
Conditions and effects of dialogues in the Toolset were really really powerfull, and were enough to create whole interactive and skill based systems, based on dialogues alone. You will find many many dialogues in frontieres's files.
You could play frontieres for days actually, and still encounters totally new stuff and features in some "well known" areas. But again, going over all the features is pointless here. However, I really really hope I will be able to port frontières to the DOS Engine, this is my DOS modding goal.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Cromcrom #483014 25/02/14 06:10 PM
journeyman
journeyman
It seems we seem to seemingly have the same interests. I also had fun adding loads of alignment based opportunities/dialogues effects, random actions and stuff.

First thing I fell in love with on D:OS was the banter between the characters and how it sometimes affects your traits. Then, with the last update, I noticed they added conversations with the henchmen at key points as well and fell even more in love. I am hoping those henchman convos will have an impact on how they behave. Especially if you have one of your characters agree with them and the other not. Just the thought of that feature alone has me salivating heavily at the thought of getting my hands on the editor. Just... WOW! <3

On your PW: The link to download doesn't work. It takes me to Gamefront and says it can't find the file and reroutes me to their homepage.

Otaku Hanzo #483018 25/02/14 06:49 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Cromcrom #483026 25/02/14 08:52 PM
journeyman
journeyman
That did it. Thanks. Will get back to you once I've had a chance to check it out. Won't be right away though. But just to be ready, all needed files are included right? I assume that's true but I'm not proficient in French so cannot look around the site and see if any other hak packs are needed. Figure asking you would be best.

Otaku Hanzo #483078 26/02/14 05:49 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
I haven't checked in a loooong time, but everything should be in. You just have to put the TLK and HAK, along with the main files, in the proper place, and start the game.
I am not sure about the specific music...
And there might be some save issues, because it was designed as a server PW.

However, as the dialogues and game feedback are also in french, you might miss some gameplay explanations from various townspeople (like how to rest, how to craft, the skills system, the quests...). Check the Inn (some warriors can be recruited here, helpfull if you start with a magic user) and crafter's guild (in order to learn some basic skills).

"Civilized" areas are voluntarily annoted on the mini map, but not wild areas. You WILL very probably get lost ^^

Fort Hope is pretty safe, but you can gain some levels here (mine, cemetary, talking with people, filling basic helpfull quests, mostly). You will see random inhabitant moving around. Talk to them. Their dialogues are randomized, some can lead to nasty surprises, but there is almost always an interest in talking to them.
However, beware random goblins raids, they randomly attack the farming area. Gards can be helpfull then.
Try to be at least level 3-4 (you start level 1) before entering the forests, and start exploring the world.

Rest is limited, food dependant (you need to eat before resting. Not very realistic, but only way I found for this issue. Not to bad in use). Rest recovery is dependant on camping skills, OR the place quality depending on if you stay in the inn, or hospital, or a goblin tent, and so on. Random spawning of things makes resting in the wild really really unreliable. However, a legendary camper with legendary equipment (tent, sleeping bag, a good warm fire), will recover as much in the wild as he would in a comfy royal room in the inn. And maybe more (those random results, again).
Be aware, that resting could make you have nightmares. I mean, real ones. Resting could even take you to the Spirit World. But don't worry, there is a skill for this too, where you can try to "control" your dreams. A Legendary dreamer can ask/invoke specific dream spirits, that will be able to do specific tasks for him...

Some native gob tribes are neutral, some others are ennemies. Anyways, you will have to learn goblin language in order to interact with them properly, and maybe befriend some tribes. If you become a tribe hero, many young goblins are more than eager to accompagny you in your adventures, among other benefits...

The random spawn system/skill based world interactions/steady Xp mundane gain is fully developped and working in Frontiere, you could have a look of how it actually works. First levels go very fast, but it will slow down after some times.

I can't remember how many skills/jobs I created, but on top of my head, Skinner, butcher, tailor, tinkerer, armor crafter, farmer, builder, wood cutter, cartographer, miner, prospector, book writer, bounty hunter, scavenger, herborist, jeweler, leather crafter, wood crafter, alchemist, cook, camper, musician, fisherman, medic, "Dreamer". I may be missing a few... They ALL have some sort of effect, and increase world interactions. Of course, the better the skill, the better the interactions (the more/better stuff you gather, the more chances you have to identify things, the better items you craft...); however, all results are randomized. Crafting has its own system and levels (1 to 20, if I remember well. I didn't create this system, only modified it to suit my needs), other skills are simpler (novice, compagnon, master, legendary, if I recall well.) You will see.

All crafts results are randomized, from poor objects (with malus), to legendary items. Indeed, as a legendary weapon/armor crafter, you might build some very very powerfull randomized named legendary items. (you will need to "analyze" your crafted items to discover their real powers, a Scripting "trick" I used to implement this feature).

Don't be surprised, you will find many many many randomly spawning things in the world, from critters, to gathering spots, to whole events (goblin raids, interactive forest fires...)... I can swear that NO two walks in the wild will ever be the same.

Well, such a massive number of features... What I just wrote might be just 20% of everythings there are to say about the global mod, no kidding :-(. I didn't talk about the specific areas from marshes to plains, to mountains, to deep dungeons, to tundras, all the other tribes, the dark legends, the ruined cities, the dying peoples, the strifes, the languages, the imbuing craft, the random elemental "doors" that you can try/learn to dominate to gain access to elemental planes, the magical signs, the valorous fight of the colons against orcish tribes, of the totems, of the rare animals or creatures that spawn sometimes... I am still missing some features...

I will probably sound arrogant, but I wish I could find a game so rich those days. This is why sometimes I am so critical about this DOS Alpha, and find it so boring...

And again, feel free to use anything from it, or ask some more questions if you take interest in it. You can even play it with friends, if you manage to set a server up (in this case, please give me some kind of credits for the hundreds ( thousand ?) of hours I spent modding this, that would be nice)

God, I fell in the wall of text trap. But I am so proud of this mod :-(

Last edited by Cromcrom; 26/02/14 06:38 AM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Cromcrom #483093 26/02/14 03:42 PM
journeyman
journeyman
God, I fell in the wall of text trap. But I am so proud of this mod :-(

No worries. Nothing wrong with generally gushing over something you created. And since I only have a very basic understanding of French, and hate using any kind of translate program, it helps me better understand the mechanics.

Now, I've been modding since the days of Doom and wanted to share a piece of advice with you. I noticed you're very passionate about the level of interactivity as myself, but you just admitted that it causes you to get disappointed at games like D:OS. Here's a little epiphany I had while doing some Quake 2 modding (yeah, that long ago):

Any team that creates the game, no matter the size of the team, is doing so from the ground up. Not only that, but they are giving us the tools we need to create our own content for this game. Going into any game you need to remember they started from scratch where as you're going in (as a modder) with the full engine already made with the ability to add to it. So just breathe deep, smile, and enjoy the game for what it is with the satisfaction of knowing you have the power to change things if you so wish.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard