Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#484422 15/03/14 06:47 PM
Edvin Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Possibility hide you helm is probably the most requested feature in RPGs, and is also often the most fulfilled request in RPGs.

Original Sin have many various helmets. Some look good, some not.
However, some may be helpful, although we may not like their look.

This is optional addition, so if anyone does not like it, no one will force him to use. In addition, I can quite certainly say that it's very easy to add. (In fact, I was quite surprised that this option yet it still is not in the game.)

Last edited by Edvin; 15/03/14 06:49 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
indeed this would be a nice feature

K
stranger
stranger
K
Implement this please

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
I'll throw my hat once again into this ring. I'd like to see this option as well.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
... and me too.

J'aime le fromage.
B
stranger
stranger
B
Yes please

addict
addict
pretty please, do agree~

A
stranger
stranger
A
Signed, please add this feature.

addict
addict
I'll jump on the band wagon. Move over.

You would think that since people actually pay extra for this in SWtOR that it's a much desired feature.

Honestly though in the small 3rd person it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Now if the game had a lot of close-up cut scenes like DAO, the hide helmet feature would be a must. With this game, maybe not as important but ... why not. If you go to all that work to give your girl wavy red locks you might as well see them right?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LeBurns

Honestly though in the small 3rd person it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Now if the game had a lot of close-up cut scenes like DAO, the hide helmet feature would be a must. With this game, maybe not as important but ... why not. If you go to all that work to give your girl wavy red locks you might as well see them right?

I'm going to be a mean ol' jerk again and say that "hide helm" is really not important, especially when there are loads of other, way, way, way, way, way more important things that need work.

I'd put this idea on the "add in a patch sometime after the game gets released" pile.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
"Not important" is subjective, though. For example, anything that involves multiplayer doesn't even register as a priority to me so as far as I'm concerned it can be skipped altogether, but they're all features that would be nice to have for some players. The hide helmets option might not be an especially high priority but it's unlikely to be much effort either.

I guess we did go for quite a while before someone chipped in. :p

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I'm going to be a mean ol' jerk again and say that "hide helm" is really not important, especially when there are loads of other, way, way, way, way, way more important things that need work.

I'd put this idea on the "add in a patch sometime after the game gets released" pile.

You are such a mean jerk. If you are not going to completely agree with our opinion ... then we don't want to hear it! mad

Well I agree I wouldn't want it to be something that holds up the game release, but I seriously doubt it would be that much trouble. It's not like we are asking animated glow in the dark armor.

veteran
veteran
I don't have any objection to the existence of a hide helmets feature, just the timing.

Originally Posted by Vometia
The hide helmets option might not be an especially high priority but it's unlikely to be much effort either.

It took several updates before the Black Cove's exit back to the beach was actually connected to the beach instead of the character creation room. For over a month now, Zixzax's homestead options are being offered to only one player and not two like he used to - and it's still broken. Those don't seem like it would take much effort to fix, and yet it took a pretty long time to do so.

Nice try, but I don't find that "not much effort required" argument convincing.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Nice try, but I don't find that "not much effort required" argument convincing.

Oh, be off with you and your contrary opinions! :p

Actually, one thing I was forgetting is the editor: hopefully it won't be too difficult to make our own changes to do this sort of thing. Or even animated, glowing armour, for that matter!

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
I'm not sure what takes developers so much time for some fixes. Some fixes in Skyrim took forever to be patched, but those on the PC could fix the problem with one simple console command. It just must be a matter of where their priorities are, and I'll agree that 'hide helmet' shouldn't be a priority. But, it would be a nice feature to add.

+1 for nice idea but low priority compared to the more pressing issues regarding playing the game smoothly. I think we can all agree that gameplay smoothness/wholeness is front seat compared to a helmet hiding option. Well, assuming we bought D:OS to play it and not admire the graphics.

I am just curious...
What's that big deal with the desire to hide a helmet when you think your noodle needs one?
Are players afraid hat others might see them in an embarrassing helmet or they cannot see their stylish hair?

I am just asking as this reminds me a bit like Wonder Woman in her invisible jet, deux ex machina.
You're right, I could care less if the feature is in the game or not as long it is just optional and it's just a solo game where just one in that world wears invisible helmets.

I just find it an odd feature in all those games, letting me wonder why they not also offer invisible armor (actually, some games do like EQ2) in case you want to show off your biceps and the rest of your body the gods graced you with in the game.
I just can guess that this must be a result of modern society which wants everything in one without compromises.
Maybe the dev team should at least toss in as counter some deduction in communication skills as I doubt one sounds not as good with a full helmet or might at leats freak out some NPC's as every convenience should have some price tag and even it is just a tiny one as we have enough games without ANY consequences called MMO's.

Just some thoughts to the topic. I am sure they can easily integrate it in the game by just making the artifical 'toupee' invisible and it would not hurt except some folks vanity or their embarrassment.
An when you're at it dev team, please have also a heart for the exhibitionists under the players. ;p

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Bearhug
I am just curious...
What's that big deal with the desire to hide a helmet when you think your noodle needs one?
Are players afraid hat others might see them in an embarrassing helmet or they cannot see their stylish hair?

I am just asking as this reminds me a bit like Wonder Woman in her invisible jet, deux ex machina.
You're right, I could care less if the feature is in the game or not as long it is just optional and it's just a solo game where just one in that world wears invisible helmets.

I just find it an odd feature in all those games, letting me wonder why they not also offer invisible armor (actually, some games do like EQ2) in case you want to show off your biceps and the rest of your body the gods graced you with in the game.
I just can guess that this must be a result of modern society which wants everything in one without compromises.
Maybe the dev team should at least toss in as counter some deduction in communication skills as I doubt one sounds not as good with a full helmet or might at leats freak out some NPC's as every convenience should have some price tag and even it is just a tiny one as we have enough games without ANY consequences called MMO's.

Just some thoughts to the topic. I am sure they can easily integrate it in the game by just making the artifical 'toupee' invisible and it would not hurt except some folks vanity or their embarrassment.
An when you're at it dev team, please have also a heart for the exhibitionists under the players. ;p

Hide helmet is where powergaming meets roleplaying :P PLayers want to have their character good looking, but do not want to loose some deffensive stats.
Personally, I don't like invisible helmets and would not use such feature.
The best solution is complicated to implement - IRL knights wore helmets (and armors) only during battles. It could be achived in game by unequiping those while in town, but it is too much micromanagment to be fun. So it could be automated by programers.
But it is a little harder in a game with no "safe area" - should armour magicly appear as soon as you start bar-fight or not?

Or maybe it could be programed with a hotkey (and if supriiced with fight, suit up would take yor AP)?

Originally Posted by Gewar
Hide helmet is where powergaming meets roleplaying :P PLayers want to have their character good looking, but do not want to loose some deffensive stats.
Personally, I don't like invisible helmets and would not use such feature.
The best solution is complicated to implement - IRL knights wore helmets (and armors) only during battles. It could be achived in game by unequiping those while in town, but it is too much micromanagment to be fun. So it could be automated by programers.
But it is a little harder in a game with no "safe area" - should armour magicly appear as soon as you start bar-fight or not?

Or maybe it could be programed with a hotkey (and if supriiced with fight, suit up would take yor AP)?

I am also no fan of invisible gear and made my comment with a tongue in cheek as it does not matter much as feaure in a solo/co-op game for me.

But I do like your simple compromise solution, instead of making them invisible an to save people the awful micromanagement it would be neat to have a simple button to take the helmet off and put it back on when needed. If people forget it, their problem. But at least they would wear the thing when it matters and not turn it invisible and then, as usual in most cases, never let it re-appear in the field.

And if people want to charm others or intimdate them they can decide themselves if they have a better chance with or without a helmet on.

Damn...I should post this to all those MMO forums as a hotkey helmet on/off would make more sense then to hide it in some option sub-menu.
Latest when they get one hit on their noodle (and survive it) they will learn to put the helmet back on even it will cost them still one push of a button, but it is at least their responsibility to remember it.

When they ask for lack of convenience then they should be glad not to be asked where they carry their helmet if it is not on their head as it will just be in their bags like all the other nicknacks like makeup kit and body oil. wink

Last edited by Bearhug; 21/03/14 03:35 PM.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
I think what we need to understand about helmet-hiders is that they go for aesthetic ideals instead of realism. Their aesthetic ideal of their hero is without a helm, however unrealistic it is (at least I am assuming this is about aesthetics, which strikes me as a safe bet).

I'm a fan of more realism, but I know many people want to play beautiful people for some reason, even though no adventurer would look good very often, what with the injuries, dried gore on their armor, etc. But hide helm is more like an extension of not showing the dirtied armor etc.

Just my thoughts on why that compromise isn't really addressing the desires of either community. The toggle for the visual is more helpful and the realism ones won't mind afaik.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard