Originally Posted by YoungFreshNewbie
I think what we need to understand about helmet-hiders is that they go for aesthetic ideals instead of realism. Their aesthetic ideal of their hero is without a helm, however unrealistic it is (at least I am assuming this is about aesthetics, which strikes me as a safe bet).

I'm a fan of more realism, but I know many people want to play beautiful people for some reason, even though no adventurer would look good very often, what with the injuries, dried gore on their armor, etc. But hide helm is more like an extension of not showing the dirtied armor etc.

Just my thoughts on why that compromise isn't really addressing the desires of either community. The toggle for the visual is more helpful and the realism ones won't mind afaik.

I know that it is msotly about vanity as most fantasy games turned not just since japanese fantasy games into some Barbie dressing games where heroes seem to dress more strangely like they work in some establishment of easy virtues and seem to wear less and less armor as higher they get in level, that's what all that tank vs. bikini thread is about.

I don't want to take their dressing option away from them as I believe in choices and agree in one detail, it is annoying how the 'hide helmet' option is inconveniently hidden in most games in some sub-sub-option menu.

A simple hotkey with helmet on/off would be a more elegant solution even we ignore conveniently where the helmet gets stored, likely into the bags of holding all adventurers carry these days. smile

A game which would also has critical damage on the head would even encourage then players not to forget to dress up again.

I think the compromise is a good idea as you can always decide to look godo even on the battlefield if you want to. Just keep your helmet off and keep smiling when the clobbering starts.
A game without consequences is a joke. If they still want their helmets be gone they can still dig for the sub-sub menus and get rid of their protective helmet of shame.

Last edited by Bearhug; 21/03/14 05:35 PM.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.