Originally Posted by YoungFreshNewbie
@Vometia: If you aesthetically don't like helmets, that's really all my argument needed. Beautiful people was listed as many people, not all helmet hiders. It is divorced from reality just like a lack of armor gore is; i.e. you prefer aesthetics to hard realism (nothing wrong with this). I was not saying they must both come as a pair for anyone concerned with certain aesthetics.

Edit: If you like the gore on armor, that is still an aesthetic preference and doesn't contradict aesthetics over realism, noting.

@Bearhug: I fail to see why you should punish someone with different priorities because you don't like the idea without consequences. I don't see where the right to dictate how a game should be played by others comes in.

It's also a very strawman argument to say they want no-consequence gaming. They just want a game that puts less force on hard realism than you do. Games are already divorced to some degree from realism, so limiting it at any given point is arbitrary and effectively indefensible for that reason. There's no reason for plate armor to work in adventuring; it's too bulky and high-maintenance. There's no reason that these adventurers should level up, realistically, either.

Notice none of these are any different categorically in that they are simply different departures from hard realism toward fantasy.

I am not punishing anyone with my idea as I was just proposing a compromise in form of a Vometia’s desired ‘hide helmet’ function and a helmet on/off hotkey for those who do like more realism in a game as ‘fantasy’ does not has to exclude realistic elements.

Even such detailed games cannot deny some realism, even ‘fantasy worlds’ are divorced to some degree from it, so much at some points at that it is arbitrary and effectively indefensible for that reason. Why does anybody still bother with armor instead of learning all magic and frying, freezing or zapping anything in their way? There's no reason that adventurers should bother about any armor and enjoy the light show.

I think you were measuring in your response with two standards because you’re bias with the original idea. But I see no reason why a compromise solution should be ignored of someone’s strawman arguments just because he does not like the idea of consequences for those who do like them.

Notice that in a game where you can also bake bread like in Ultima VII can be also a place for such two simple features as, oh so hard ‘harsh’, reality can spice up even high fantasy for some.

Peace man.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.