Originally Posted by SteamUser

"unlike the other parts of Skyrim"

ALL monsters in Skyrim follow the dragon system of set level bumps, which you have erroneously imagined is not the case

For example, Falmer's level bumps are: 9, 15, 22, 30, 38, 48.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Monsters

Originally Posted by Gyson
Dragons in Skyrim have fixed levels.. I explained this in detail pages ago. That you continue to insist otherwise is just ignorance.

Originally Posted by SteamUser

Dragon - Level - HP - Player level # add to lists

Basic - 10 - 950 - 0

Blood - 20 - 1421 - 18

Frost - 30 - 1860 - 27

Elder - 40 - 2255 - 36

Ancient - 50 - 3565 - 45

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Dragon

Yeah, I think we're done here. You've claimed that the rest of Skyrim's monsters don't use the same scaling system as dragons [FALSE] and that the rest of Skyrim scaled a lot better due to this [FALSE] and that issues with Dragons were unique to dragons [FALSE] and that this was because their level scaling was different [FALSE].

You then double-downed and stated I was claiming that Dragons don't have set levels [FALSE] when I'd even typed out the table... of Dragon set levels.

Man, special snowflakes, gotta love them. Or you're a troll. Let us return to what you mis-understood level scaling to be:

Level scaling sets your opponent's level to match your level (there's a bit more happening behind the scenes than that, but that's the most important part of it).

No, this isn't what level scaling is at all barring in the most simplest of ARPGs such as Diablo, and the reasons for this are more to do with <level> ranges on the RNG loot generator so that the monkeys pressing their skinner box buttons get sparkly loot that appeals to them. Has nothing to do with challenge in an ARPG setting the monster level = char level. Just... trust me on that one wink

I have comprehensively shown that Character Level = Monster Level does not equal level scaling, even in a simplified RPG like Skyrim. There's serious hard math under the hood, and it isn't possible (currently) to read a character's stats and dynamically create mobs that scale to an individual character's stats.[1] All RPGs, MMOs, ARPGs use median numbers for very good reasons.

See? The forest man, you missed the forest. You were so up a tree-house you didn't even know the Amazon was burning down around you.

p.s.

You. Still. Don't. Understand. How. Level. Scaling. Works. Or. The. Math.

(Sigh) This is why debating something with someone who doesn't understand the mechanics being referred to is frustrating.

Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.

If you want to even start contributing to this topic, I'd suggest reading the G.E.C.K link I provided. Torchlight II uses a very similar method, and I suspect Diablo's is identical. This only works if you have chunks that are either fixed on entry [Fallout 3 / Skyrim[2]] or mobs generated on reload [Diablo, Torchlight II].

HINT: D:OS world map is generated on start, or at the very least, the areas generated are large enough to prevent this from working. To repeat myself (again): D:OS is not an ARPG. The issues with quest / item flags on quicksave reloads should have made you aware of this. Permanent World.

This is why this entire petty crap-shoot has been so frustrating: you. do. not. understand. how. the. game. code. functions. We've not even touched upon <spawners> and the fact that D:OS doesn't use them (I might be wrong, but I'm fairly confident I'm not) ~ and yes, I've coded a fair number of <spawners> in my time.

[1] If you can provide an example of this, you'd be rich. Very rich indeed.
[2] There are mods for Skyrim that change the global spawning level settings to give a greater challenge / more realistic spawning (e.g. 3% chance of ultra-level mobs), but what you have to understand is this: Skyrim spawns mobs on loading a chunk [or similar method, I'm a little rusty] and periodically removes all mobs. Which is why I mentioned Kingdoms of Amalur[3], btw. D:OS, as we've stated about 1,000 times, does not.
[3] See http://amalur.wikia.com/wiki/Area-Level_Cap_and_%22Anti-Overlevelling%22_Guide for issues in large fixed level zones with repeated quests / generated dungeons. Bascially, what KoA & Skyrim do is set a permanent level flag on the <spawners>, which allows the game to repopulate mobs with only a single variable in the <spawner>.

Last edited by SteamUser; 10/04/14 07:32 PM.