Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just received Divinity : Original Sin Collector's Edition box. I would like to know when I can get a DRM-free copy of the game (as a GOG setup file, for example) because I do expect there will be one.

I was aware I had to use Steam but the English and French FAQs from the DO:S website do indicate that the game will be DRM-free, and don't mention it will be exclusive to the digital copy or Kickstarter backers. Moreover, I don't see why the buyers of the DVD should use Steam when the future buyers on GOG.com will play it without digital rights management restrictions (no wonder that physical retail distribution in video games is ignored !).

Would someone confirm my friend and I will be able to play DO:S using a DRM-free version (and GOG Galaxy ?) without extra fees ? Thank you.

veteran
veteran
The Steam version is (almost?) DRM-free as well. You only need it for the first installation and for updates. You don't need the Steam client while playing and you can copy the game files whereever you want them to be, even another computer. Then you can just play the game by clicking on the exe file in the game folder. No Steam needed anymore.

Last edited by LordCrash; 03/07/14 04:18 PM.

WOOS
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by LordCrash
The Steam version is (almost?) DRM-free as well. You only need it for the first installation and for updates. You don't need the Steam client while playing and you can copy the game files whereever you want them to be, even another computer. Then you can just play the game by clicking on the exe file in the game folder. No Steam needed anymore.

Yeah, GoG Galaxy is literally just Steam with a different name and less games.

Steam is only DRM if the devs choose it to be. Otherwise it's just a downloader that takes the strain off the devs for providing that much bandwidth. In the case of Original Sin ( and Dragon Commander! ), once it's downloaded, you are good to go. You can uninstall Steam at that point, and can still play the game just fine, all you need to do is go to the game folder.

Most indie/devs that support GoG games on Steam are DRM free, including stuff like Paradox games. If it's on GoG/Galaxy, the Steam version will probably be DRM free as well.

veteran
veteran
I like to add that at the moment Steam is really a benefit to the game since Larian updates the game on a daily basis with smaller and bigger updates. That would be a lot more difficult with a GOG version for example (things might change with GOG Galaxy but everyone who will use GOG Galaxy will be literally have the same like with Steam just with another logo)... wink

WOOS
F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Nals

Steam is only DRM if the devs choose it to be. Otherwise it's just a downloader that takes the strain off the devs for providing that much bandwidth. In the case of Original Sin ( and Dragon Commander! ), once it's downloaded, you are good to go. You can uninstall Steam at that point, and can still play the game just fine, all you need to do is go to the game folder.

Most indie/devs that support GoG games on Steam are DRM free, including stuff like Paradox games. If it's on GoG/Galaxy, the Steam version will probably be DRM free as well.

You are still forced to use Steam for updates so it definitely falls under the definition of DRM.
We need either a non-DRM version (downloadable updates or updating from the Larian servers) or it's not going to be a DRM-free game.

I know people who are used to have DRM don't realize it, but relying on a third party for updates counts as DRM since you have to rely on a third party for the game to function properly.
Forced to use any third party = DRM.

There are still a lot of people who oppose DRM, got the box and we expect to be able to deal with Larian only for the game.

I wonder if the steam version could be updated with GOG update and ditch the steam api dll file.

Originally Posted by Halcyon
I wonder if the steam version could be updated with GOG update and ditch the steam api dll file.
The GOG version includes a Steam.api file. However the GOG installer does create specific registry entries which GOG updaters would likely check for.

While those pointing out that Steam's version of D:OS can be run without the Steam client are correct, the problem is you still have to use the (insecure) client and have a valid Steam account (agreeing to several problematic clauses in their Terms of Service) to download in the first place.

With GOG, you don't need special software - you can download via your browser. And they don't have the record of arbitrary account closures or restriction of content that Steam do.
Originally Posted by Nanoloque
I just received Divinity : Original Sin Collector's Edition box. I would like to know when I can get a DRM-free copy of the game...
If you backed the D:OS Kickstarter, then you should have received an email from Larian asking if you wanted a fully DRM-free disc version, with the proviso that this would not be delivered for a few weeks.

If you purchased a retail copy and it didn't make clear that Steam was a requirement, the best advice would be to return it and hold on for GOG's public release (they've just added the 1.0.47 patch) which should be coming in the next couple of days.

Last edited by Stargazer; 03/07/14 06:11 PM.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Falcus
Originally Posted by Nals

You are still forced to use Steam for updates so it definitely falls under the definition of DRM.
We need either a non-DRM version (downloadable updates or updating from the Larian servers) or it's not going to be a DRM-free game.

I know people who are used to have DRM don't realize it, but relying on a third party for updates counts as DRM since you have to rely on a third party for the game to function properly.
Forced to use any third party = DRM.

There are still a lot of people who oppose DRM, got the box and we expect to be able to deal with Larian only for the game.

He said GoG Galaxy was an alternative, which implies he doesn't mind that. GoG Galaxy will work the same way Steam does when it comes to patching files, it'll come from the GoG Galaxy servers. At that point you aren't mad about DRM, you are mad about it being Steam.

^^^^

That's fair. If you don't want to use Steam due to a dislike of the service. I can understand that entirely, and don't hold it against anyone.

Thing is, the OP ( the person we are trying to help ), only wants a DRM free version, but wouldn't mind if it came to GoG Galaxy. That means they wouldn't mind the Steam version, as it will be copy paste what the GGalaxy version offers in terms of DRM.

Last edited by Nals; 03/07/14 06:17 PM.
veteran
veteran
If you really want a DRM free version, wait a few weeks/months. Without a platform like Steam (or GOG Galaxy) fast patching is a chore. I don't mind a Steam-free version but I just seems not reasonable to me atm neither for Larian nor the customers. Once Larian switched from daily updates to weekly or monthly updates a Steam-free version makes sense for those who want it. That's just modern PC game development. Constant iteration.

@Stargazer
You can exaggerate everything. Using Steam is not more insecure than using a normal browser (like you e.g. need for GOG). I would say that using a browser is even a higher risk than using Steam... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 03/07/14 06:21 PM.

WOOS
Using Steam is not more insecure than using a normal browser (like you e.g. need for GOG). I would say that using a browser is even a higher risk than using Steam... wink
Browsers don't run as a Windows service so don't have privileged access to your system, whereas the Steam Client Service does. It's ability to update software on your system means it can be used maliciously (if Steam's servers were compromised) to download malware, like keyloggers to find your bank details or ransomware to destroy your data.

And the more accounts Valve gets, the more attractive a target Steam becomes to organised malware writers.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you all for your answers. You are right, I don't need Steam anymore to play the game. Still, I think Larian should be careful with words since D:OS doesn't qualify as a DRM-free game since you need to be online for the installation and you have to be on Steam to have updates.

Like Halcyon, I hope I will be able to switch to GOG.com. This GOG Galaxy client has my curiosity.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stargazer
Using Steam is not more insecure than using a normal browser (like you e.g. need for GOG). I would say that using a browser is even a higher risk than using Steam... wink
Browsers don't run as a Windows service so don't have privileged access to your system, whereas the Steam Client Service does. It's ability to update software on your system means it can be used maliciously (if Steam's servers were compromised) to download malware, like keyloggers to find your bank details or ransomware to destroy your data.

And the more accounts Valve gets, the more attractive a target Steam becomes to organised malware writers.

You would be amazed how easy the same is just with infecting your browser... wink

But anyway, there is nothing of value to find on my gaming PC.

WOOS
You would be amazed how easy the same is just with infecting your browser... wink
Next to impossible if you've secured it (i.e. use Firefox or Opera instead of IE, use web filters or plugins to disable Java, Javascript and Flash by default, run with non-admin privileges, etc (for Firefox, the "holy trinity" of plugins NoScript, AdBlock and Ghostery should be included).

You can do nothing similar to mitigate or secure Steam's software.

I run steam using Sandboxie, which sandboxes the app. Steam only has limited access to my system like that, and when one day I tire of it - I need only delete its sandbox and all traces of it will be gone forever. smile

journeyman
journeyman

GOG could just as easily be compromised and have their installers and patches infected. GOG doesn't care about their user's security since they install all games with the "run as administrator" flag set in the game's .exe, and they even recommend users turn off Windows' UAC, it would be just as easy to get malware from GOG. If a user follows GOG's advice, they're more vulnerable to viruses and malware.

Originally Posted by Nanoloque
Thank you all for your answers. You are right, I don't need Steam anymore to play the game. Still, I think Larian should be careful with words since D:OS doesn't qualify as a DRM-free game since you need to be online for the installation and you have to be on Steam to have updates.

You need to be online to download from GOG just like you need to be online to download from Steam. Once downloaded from either, you no longer have to be online.

Originally Posted by jimnms
GOG could just as easily be compromised and have their installers and patches infected.
But that code would have to be downloaded and run manually, which means that any compromise would become obvious as soon as the first person noticed something amiss. With Steam's automatic updates, everyone could be hit near simultaneously with a new exploit and most would be unaware of anything unusual, due to all the other update activity.

GOG's Galaxy could well pose similar security risks to Steam's client, but their existing system is less risky than standard downloads from many mainstream websites.

As for UAC, it's designed more to annoy programmers and users into storing data outside the Program Files folder, which not only breaks older games but also hampers modding tools (this recommendation is repeated for modding Baldur's Gate with WeiDU for example). So GOG are perfectly correct to recommend against it - there are far better security tools out there.

veteran
veteran
Next to impossible if you've secured it (i.e. use Firefox or Opera instead of IE, use web filters or plugins to disable Java, Javascript and Flash by default, run with non-admin privileges, etc (for Firefox, the "holy trinity" of plugins NoScript, AdBlock and Ghostery should be included).

For which reason? There is nothing to be found on my PC. And I really doubt most people who don't like Steam secure their PC as much as you've described it here. But to each their own. wink

WOOS
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
GOG galaxy can potentially be better than Steam if GOG opens it up.

You can vote for it here:

* Open sourcing Galaxy client.
* Documenting the protocol to enable community clients.

Of course if they won't open it, it won't be any more trustworthy to install and update anything on your system than Steam is. Same goes for its multiplayer features. If you want to trust such framework, the client should be open.

Last edited by shmerl; 03/07/14 10:01 PM.
old hand
old hand

Got the whole Firefox suite like you mention (actually use Waterfox) and then the rest.

But what am I specifically supposed to fear about Steams security? What are the ramifications? Eager to know where you are coming from here...

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
But what am I specifically supposed to fear about Steams security? What are the ramifications? Eager to know where you are coming from here...

Any closed code which is run on your system and can modify it is automatically a suspect. And if the purpose of that code is to modify your system (installation, updates etc.) - even more so! Its closed nature doesn't allow external audit. Plus Steam has DRM in its client. While it's not always used, it's still there, which increases security concerns many fold by definition.

Last edited by shmerl; 03/07/14 10:06 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard