Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#849646 01/05/23 07:41 AM
Omkara Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings hoomans,

I have been thinking about the possibility of a mod that would implement a cover and overwatch system in BG3. While I understand that this is not a part of the official rules, I still wanted to share my thoughts on this topic with you all.

As an X-Com veteran, I often find myself missing the option to take a more defensive approach by using cover and overwatch. I wonder whether this feature could be implemented in BG3 by introducing some modifications to the existing rules.

For instance, one could theorize that hiding behind softcover provides a +1 bonus to AC, while hardcover provides a +2 bonus. Similarly, being fired upon during overwatch while moving could provide a +1 bonus to AC, while dashing could provide a +2 bonus. I also think that these bonuses could be applied to attribute saving throws in the same way.

Introducing a cover and overwatch system could add to the strategic complexity of the game, and I am sure that some players would find it very enjoyable. However, I understand that not everyone would be interested in such a feature, which is why I think it would be better served as an optional mod.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this idea and perhaps whether it would be easy or hard to implement such a mod? Let's discuss!

veteran
veteran
Actually, there IS a cover system in baseline D&D and it's more potent than what you describe. Half cover provides +2, three-quarters cover provides +5 and full cover means you can't be targeted at all. There's also something like overwatch in the player's handbook too in the form of readying an action. Which basically means you have your character at the ready to do a particular thing if a certain condition is met. Typically that means attacking an enemy if they come into range. Solasta: Crown of the Magister implements both.

Omkara Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Actually, there IS a cover system in baseline D&D and it's more potent than what you describe. Half cover provides +2, three-quarters cover provides +5 and full cover means you can't be targeted at all. There's also something like overwatch in the player's handbook too in the form of readying an action. Which basically means you have your character at the ready to do a particular thing if a certain condition is met. Typically that means attacking an enemy if they come into range. Solasta: Crown of the Magister implements both.

Oh wow, I had no idea there was already a cover system in D&D! Thanks for letting me know. And it sounds like it's even more potent than what I suggested. I'll definitely have to read up on it more. And the readying an action feature sounds like a form of overwatch too, which is awesome.

As for Solasta, vaguely remember seeing it before, but I just looked it up and it does seem a little rough around the edges for my taste. But still, it's great to know that D&D already has some of these features covered (pun intended). Thanks for the info!

veteran
veteran
You should absolutely check out Solasta. Visually it's only okay, but I genuinely think that its combat gameplay is superior to BG3. I find it a more satisfying experience and it's a better, more fun realization of 5e rules.

veteran
veteran
Ready Action is something I wish was in the game, and I don’t quite understand why it isn’t there. It would nice to have other options rather than rushing the enemy.

I would wonder how a cover would work in BG3, with game not being build with the in mind. If the system were implemented, I am not sure how clear or intuitive it would be what is and isn’t cover. Still, one could easily imagine the potential of such system, especially with BG3’s interactive environments.

Solasta looks hideous but it is a lot of fun.

L
addict
addict
L
Cover would be great.
Maybe they could do something like hiding. Press a button to show vision cones and diff colors for items based on the level of cover provided (half, 3 quarters, total). Obviously the enemy may choose to move which could change the angle of attack, but sometimes they wont or cant move position.

One way to implement the ready action is to delay your turn at the cost of your reaction, so you can wait for the enemies to come into range etc.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Solasta does it with no particular problem, just because they have implemented the ready action.

In that particular game, it still has some limitations since the prepared attack will trigger on the first enemy moving inside your attack range, not on one of your choosing, but it's still something.

It's another aspect of the game that would benefit from a good implementation of the reaction system. In your turn you ready a ranged attack/spell and, when an enemy moves inside your range, a pop-up will appear asking "Do you want to use your prepared action?".
It will probably slow the combat flow a little bit, but most of the time players will use all its actions during their turn. In my experience, prepared actions are used rarely, so I don't see this "slow down" as too much of a side effect.

veteran
veteran
Overwatch would be hard to code but another reaction is easy to mod as long as you are happy to give up other reactions

Cover could be done as a terrain response but carrying around crates to hide behind would feel strange imo

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.

Link Copied to Clipboard