Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Jito463
Originally Posted by jaysemreedy
In addition to that, the laws concerning copyright infringement or Identical to those of theft. The only difference in the law that I am aware of is that the copyright holder of whatever you infringed upon can file a lawsuit for financial compensation in addition to regular court and criminal proceedings.
In short: Pirate a game, you go to jail, likely go to prison, pay a fortune in legal costs, and provide financial compensation to the game developer.
He didn't want to buy it legally, now he'll probably pay a thousand times its cost in compensation alone.

That depends heavily on where you live. Different laws for different countries/regions.

You are entirely correct. However most countries and regions support those policies. And Larian can still probably sue him.

S
S
In addition to that, the laws concerning copyright infringement are Identical to those of theft. The only difference in the law that I am aware of is that the copyright holder of whatever you infringed upon can file a lawsuit for financial compensation in addition to regular court and criminal proceedings.
In short: Pirate a game, you go to jail, likely go to prison, pay a fortune in legal costs, and provide financial compensation to the game developer.
He didn't want to buy it legally, now he'll probably pay a thousand times its cost in compensation alone.

In many countries, piracy is completely legal.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Shaki
In addition to that, the laws concerning copyright infringement are Identical to those of theft. The only difference in the law that I am aware of is that the copyright holder of whatever you infringed upon can file a lawsuit for financial compensation in addition to regular court and criminal proceedings.

Really?? Huh? I had no Idea. Thanks for sharing that, I'll keep it in mind.

veteran
veteran

In which countries is software piracy legal??? That would violate international laws and multilateral contracts, by the way. wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 09/07/14 08:33 PM.

WOOS
S
S
Originally Posted by LordCrash

In which countries is software piracy legal??? That would violate international laws and multilateral contracts, by the way. wink

Depends of what you understand by "piracy". While uploading and sharing copyrighted content is illegal nearly everywhere, downloading for personal use is often allowed. I'm not a cypright law expert, but here's quote form wikipedia:

"To an extent, copyright law in some countries permits downloading copyright-protected content for personal, noncommercial use. Examples include Canada[citation needed] and European Union (EU) member states like Poland,[37] The Netherlands,[38] and Spain.[39]"

I'm sure only about Poland, because I live here. Polish law allow you to download music and films for personal, noncommercial use. It is perfectly legal. And while downloading programs is technically prohibited, in reality authorities doesn't care. And while you can in theory file a civil lawsuit against a pirate, the trial can go for 2-3 years, and usually ends with pirate having to pay a ridicolously small amount of money, so going after individual downloading-pirates is just useless, and no one is doing it.

Yeah, I've probably exagerrated with "completely legal", but still, many countries have very liberal copyright policy.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Countries like Sweden have no qualms hosting sites like "The pirate bay." Other countries, particularly Scandinavian countries, are miles ahead in terms of laws regarding technology.

I remember reading an article by Paulo Coelho where he actively calls people to pirate his books. It is a call to freedom. Yes, re-read that, or google "Paulo Coelho," since I don't expect any of the bright minds on this forums will have any vague idea as to who he is.

Reading the replies to a thread like this "fait tomber les 2 bras." I really start to lose hope in humanity when, instead of discussing matters that count, people instead go into legal verbiage and legislative intricacies regarding corporative laws which we'll never understand.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by NoDRMforMe

I remember reading an article by Paulo Coelho where he actively calls people to pirate his books. It is a call to freedom. Yes, re-read that, or google "Paulo Coelho," since I don't expect any of the bright minds on this forums will have any vague idea as to who he is.

How noble from someone who is already wealthy...

And it's one thing to release your own stuff for free to the public and something completely different to take away stuff made by other people who don't released it for free.

You wouldn't talk so much BS here if you would know a few game developers in reality, people who really work hard for other entertainment for months and years. Piracy is a direct insult to those who made this stuff and own it. It's up to them to decide whether they want to give it to you for free or if they want you to pay for it. It's not up to you to decide on that. Period.

And by the way, none of your posts here include anything of real importance with one exception. On the opposite, it's all about theory. The only important thing is that you obviously ripped Larian off and are even proud of it. What a shame...

Last edited by LordCrash; 09/07/14 09:11 PM.

WOOS
S
stranger
stranger
S
Until Larian release a DRM-free version which includes both a DVD and a manual they shall suffer sales.

their sales would not suffer. To release DVD version of the game you should invest huge amount of money. They couldnt hope to cover their loses just from few mentally disordered guys, who need box version in 2014.

Last edited by Sherr; 09/07/14 09:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sherr
Until Larian release a DRM-free version which includes both a DVD and a manual they shall suffer sales.

their sales would not suffer. To release DVD version of the game you should invest huge amount of money. They couldnt hope to cover their loses just from few mentally disordered guys, who need box version in 2014.

Larian most likely won't make physical releases anymore after D:OS anyway... hahaha

"Don't do anything physical," says Vincke, when I ask him about recommendations for his fellow developers who are thinking about using Kickstarter. "I would never again do all the boxed stuff, and I regret that we spent so much time on everything related to making a physical release happen."

The studio wound up devoting a significant amount of resources and time to printing discs, shipping boxes, and getting Original Sin translated and age-rated in multiple territories prior to release. Vincke tells me he ignored good advice to focus on developing a digital game in English and only worry about things like localization after your game is released.

"At the time I answered him by saying 'you know we've been doing this for quite some time, we're released so many RPGs, we can deal with this, blah blah blah.' And it's true, we have done this several times, and it's always been miserable! Here too, it was miserable again," says Vincke.

"I will definitely try to listen to my own advice next time."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...rian_Studios_waited_15_years_to_make.php

Last edited by LordCrash; 09/07/14 09:19 PM.

WOOS
addict
addict
Reading the replies to a thread like this "fait tomber les 2 bras." I really start to lose hope in humanity when, instead of discussing matters that count, people instead go into legal verbiage and legislative intricacies regarding corporative laws which we'll never understand.

Really? Because I tend to lose hope in humanity when idiots actually boast about getting stuff they haven't bought and are not entitled to; and in fact claim they *are* entitled to it, because they disagree with the developers decision. Your opinion means nothing to me, and likely the same with everyone else here.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I love Steam and have over 400 games on there. I hate buying games not on Steam. I only use Origin for Dragon Age and Mass Effect. I use Battle.net for Hearthstone and my alpha of Heroes of the Storm (and I played WoW for years). And I have a standalone launcher for Guild Wars 2.

I would not ever buy a boxed game again, except for my Wii U and PS4 exclusives. I love Steam so much. My wife and I just got new computers (from Digital Storm) and I was so grateful to just use Steam to re-install the games we wanted.

Steam!

A
A

You dare to DEMAND something from Larian in that tone??? Get the fu... out here ASAP. There is NO justification for piracy.

I think there is, actually. From the time when i paid insane amount of money for complete piece of shit which was Dragon Age 2, I nearly always first pirate the game, play ~2 hours, and then decide to uninstall or buy. Don't want to make that kind of mistake again. From my point of view, that kind of "piracy" is pretty justified.

Your point of view is hopefully another planet, because on this planet this ainエt gonna work out.
Well, or at least from the Bermudas. ;-)

addict
addict
Hi all,

I am actively looking for a version which includes a DVD and manual, but does not require Steam or an internet connection.

I absolutely refuse to buy games on Steam, and I only buy boxed copies of games nowadays.

Steam has no regards for customers, this distribution platform should be closed down for their disgusting policies. It is almost like a store run with a new form of dictatorship.

Meanwhile, I have pirated the game. Until Larian release a DRM-free version which includes both a DVD and a manual they shall suffer sales.

Regards,

Bubba Buddy

wait did you just say openly that you pirated the game?
...isnt that illegal lol and can get u in trouble?

A
A

The man would have been free to release his books as pay what you want or even under creative commons. He deliberately chooses not to do so. But it is nice to see somone to make such nice PR claims to increase his already quite good book sales.

Originally Posted by Tyhan
Steam can block access to your account at will, they do not need a reason. Once blocked, you won't be able to use your games anymore...

You can still play all your games without access to your steam account...
Um, no you can't. If Valve disable your account, the only games that will still work are those few that don't make use of Steam's DRM - see examples here, here or here to take just 3 examples of the thousands that can be found.
...There is NO justification for piracy.
I think there is, actually. From the time when i paid insane amount of money for complete piece of shit which was Dragon Age 2...
"Unauthorised copying" (a more accurate term for what used to involve planks and parrots, but has now moved on to speedboats and RPGs) has one big benefit to the general public - lower prices. Publishers set pricing on what they consider the market will bear, and if a market has high levels of copying they will offer a lower price to compensate. The biggest example currently is Russian games pricing which is dramatically lower, for the same product, than what US/EU customers are charged. Conversely, Australasians tend to face higher prices, even with digital goods where manufacture/transport is a non-issue.

This isn't a new phenomena either - before the IBM PC became ubiquitous, prices varied between different formats for the same games, again based upon the degree of copying. ZX Spectrum games were sold for less than their BBC Micro equivalents, Apple II users saw higher prices than Commodore 64 owners and Atari ST prices were cheaper than their Amiga (or IBM PC) equivalents.

So the OP's failing, in my view, is coming on board with an overly-aggressive posting style and doing so on the very day that the fully DRM-free GOG launched their version of Divinity Original Sin (which depending on location, may be cheaper that Steam pricing).

The way ahead is sharing and caring. Reward people for being creative and spread their products freely so more people can enjoy them and feel inclined to reward.

Humble bundle is a good example of this starting to manifest. So is the no-drm movement.

Piracy as we know it today is a product of the music and software industry from a decade ago. It's an outdated term, because "piracy" these days enables the spread of information much more than advertising. It's the new word of mouth. It's only ugly because some people still perceive it as stealing.

On the contrary, a lot of companies are waking up to the realization that "piracy" has helped them build customer bases. Some openly admit it and embrace it, others deny it but facilitate it, while some remain stuck in old modes. There is still corporate stigma attached to embracing the sharing of information - just look at how GOG has to work hard to get companies to join up. Even so, GOG is hugely successful.

Piracy, or better: sharing, rewards high quality products while ignoring low quality products.

Someone who downloads a movie or a game and dislikes it - this person will never buy it, nor recommend it to his friends. The person who downloads a game and is blown away by it - this person has a good chance of becoming a paying customer, plus they talk to their friends about it and possibly strangers too. In the grand scope of things, the amount of converts and value from brand recognition through sharing outweighs the losses from people who simply download and never pay.

Sorry for the rant, but it's a nuanced issue and the subject of a lot of study. Simply going apeshit when someone talks about piracy is being ignorant of the issues involved, both good and bad.

Before anyone brandishes pitchforks, I bought the game on release date, including the DLC, to support Larian. :P

Last edited by Halcyon; 10/07/14 12:01 AM.
Originally Posted by Halcyon
...it's a nuanced issue and the subject of a lot of study. Simply going apeshit when someone talks about piracy is being ignorant of the issues involved, both good and bad.
Three recent articles of some relevance, though looking at the online music industry:

File-Sharing Boosts Creation of New Hit Music, Research Finds
Online Music Piracy Doesn't Hurt Sales, European Commission Finds
File-Sharers Buy 30% More Music Than Non-P2P Peers

Last edited by Stargazer; 10/07/14 12:11 AM.
A
A
I might actually do that now Kriss, nice idea.

Really? You keep ranting how you will not buy the game because you have missed the DRM-Free Boxes from the Kickstarter and demand your BOX still for no apparent reason. You keep ranting about that and no suddenly DRM-Free from GOG is ok for you?

Think about this for a second and consider how this looks from the perspective of people who are not you? ;-)

S
S
Originally Posted by Halcyon

Someone who downloads a movie or a game and dislikes it - this person will never buy it, nor recommend it to his friends. The person who downloads a game and is blown away by it - this person has a good chance of becoming a paying customer, plus they talk to their friends about it and possibly strangers too. In the grand scope of things, the amount of converts and value from brand recognition through sharing outweighs the losses from people who simply download and never pay.

Yeah, I can certainly agree with this. I've probably paid for tens of cRPG games, only because I was a pirate when I was young. If I couldn't pirate games, I wouldn't buy them anyway, because I simply didn't have enough money. When I was a child, parents were giving me 10 PLN/month which is equivalent of ~3 dollars. And when i became a teenager and went to part-time work, I needed to support my familiy, and still was able to afford max. 2 games/year. If not piracy, I just wouldn't play. And i wouldn't become RPG fan, but probably found some other hobby.

But pirating was possible, so I was playing for free, my whole childhood and teenage years. And now I have money, and I'm making up for that time, probably paying more for games every single year, than the summarized value of every game I've ever pirated when I was younger. Thousands of dollars, going to developers, only because I was able to taste these games as a child, and develop love for the cRPGs.

Last edited by Shaki; 10/07/14 12:28 AM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Hi all,

I am actively looking for a version which includes a DVD and manual, but does not require Steam or an internet connection.

I absolutely refuse to buy games on Steam, and I only buy boxed copies of games nowadays.

Steam has no regards for customers, this distribution platform should be closed down for their disgusting policies. It is almost like a store run with a new form of dictatorship.

Meanwhile, I have pirated the game. Until Larian release a DRM-free version which includes both a DVD and a manual they shall suffer sales.

Regards,

Bubba Buddy

people like you are part of the reason why these DRM hardline places exist. No amount of justification can defend the fact that you have stolen a project, instead of helping a semi-indie developer. If you spent less time trying to make a political statement out of a small time developer and more time searching, you would find that if you didnt buy the box version you could use GOG.

Wish blunt headed people would get to stage where they realise while its great to have a political view about certain things like DRM, having rebellious spirit that makes them pirate a game and gloating about the triumph does absolutely nothing but proves some people want something for nothing. The cost of a box version of this game is STEAM, dont want DRM the cost is getting it digital at GOG.

There is zero reason to pirate this game. No matter your justification.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard