Originally Posted by Elwyn
It is a bitter irony that the main reason why DRM exists is because there are people like OP...

And it's really laughable and amusing that ppl believe that any kind of DRM does any good to the industry. Seriously you guys made my day! laugh
Pirating a game is not a problem at all these days no matter any DRM/copy protection/access control/whatever-you-call-that-sh*t. I (probably) would have pirated the game myself. seeing as it came out on GOG a week after official release and my only option would have been buying the game on steam (which I deeply condemn for it's policies + the fact that they merely sell the right to, at their sole discretion, use the software [I'm addressing the supposed account-banning issue, and while I haven't stumbled across such a case honestly, I believe such infos dont't pop out out of thin air, even more so, that I haven't ever heard similar accusations against GOG], as a contrary to GOG allowing you to legally make backup copies of bought software). Yet I consider myself very happy and lucky having got to know about D:OS kickstarter and bought a boxed-and-truly-DRM-free version of this magnificient game.

I wholeheartedly agree with Halcyon saying
Originally Posted by Halcyon
The way ahead is sharing and caring. Reward people for being creative and spread their products freely so more people can enjoy them and feel inclined to reward.
(...)
Piracy as we know it today is a product of the music and software industry from a decade ago. It's an outdated term, because "piracy" these days enables the spread of information much more than advertising. It's the new word of mouth. It's only ugly because some people still perceive it as stealing.

On the contrary, a lot of companies are waking up to the realization that "piracy" has helped them build customer bases. Some openly admit it and embrace it, others deny it but facilitate it, while some remain stuck in old modes. There is still corporate stigma attached to embracing the sharing of information - just look at how GOG has to work hard to get companies to join up. Even so, GOG is hugely successful.

Piracy, or better: sharing, rewards high quality products while ignoring low quality products.

especially seeing how Larian did well depending primarily on word-of-mouth advertisement.

The argument that steam copy is DRM-free and all that impeccable to get is simply invalid as you're at least constrained to using steam to install the game thus forcing you to accept their highly-questionable terms-of-use. Steam itself is a DRM, as discussed earlier on these very forums.

Originally Posted by zultor
OP, how is your pirated version any different/better than Steam? For both you needed to connect to someone elses server and download the game.

The sole difference is choice, specifically not to allow steam on your pc. Period.

And as about the statement that Larian won't release boxed versions in future - they will simply deprive themselves of some profits/hype/player-commitment/-sympathy, and while I believe ppl will anyway buy the digitals, especially seeing how solid products they deliver to their fans, I cannot imagine myself happier with a purchase of a game than being able to put some shiny box straight from devs, designed by the team's fine artists, on the shelf among other great and memorable titles knowing that I can play it whenever I want no matter what happens to the internet or my capability of connecting to it. Still it's theirs to evaluate and decide whether the benefits are greater than drawbacks and act accordingly.

Thank you very much and I'm getting back to the wonderful game smile
Cheers for Larian's success!

Seek your own truth. Always.