Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've been using a one-handed sword and my attacks are supposed to take 3 AP, but sometimes it takes 4. My character isn't moving before the attack. He'll start his turn and the enemy positions haven't changed from the previous round and the action point cost will suddenly change. What's going on here?

old hand
old hand
Ive seen that happen only when the distance to the enemy is a bit bigger, for one reason or another so one extra AP is for "stepping closer".

M
addict
addict
M
I've seen this glitch since at least the beta - happened to me a lot. I still haven't played much of the final release (waiting for more patches!), but apparently it's not fixed yet.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Hiver
Ive seen that happen only when the distance to the enemy is a bit bigger, for one reason or another so one extra AP is for "stepping closer".

Yeah, but during the final boss fight I noticed it happened. My character and the boss did not move a single step since the round before, but still my attacks were suddenly 5 AP instead of 4. Not just the first, all of them. And only for that character.

There might be effects in the game that increase AP cost or something, but if there are the game does not communicate that to the player, so I'm left feeling like this has to be a bug of some sort.

Last edited by Athildur; 12/07/14 12:12 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Power and Precision stances make your attack cost one more action point if you are turning that on and off between turns. I noticed at the end of the game my tenebrium weapon was using 5 action points instead of 4 without these stances turned on even thought the tooltip said 4. Sometimes a microstep forward would use an action point and sometimes it wouldn't so you this could be related.

Last edited by Ragman; 12/07/14 01:03 PM.
M
addict
addict
M
It definitely seems to be a bug - I've had the same issue as Athildur, where - without moving my character, without using any stances, and without any other apparent changes in battle conditions - a melee attack that previously correctly required 3AP suddenly required 4AP. The only way I could then "fix" the issue was to take one tiny step closer to the enemy - but we shouldn't have to do that.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I've also noticed this, but I assume it's just a rounding thing when all other elements are taken into account. But it's only an assumption...

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Mikus
It definitely seems to be a bug - I've had the same issue as Athildur, where - without moving my character, without using any stances, and without any other apparent changes in battle conditions - a melee attack that previously correctly required 3AP suddenly required 4AP. The only way I could then "fix" the issue was to take one tiny step closer to the enemy - but we shouldn't have to do that.

Yes, you should. If you stand too far from an enemy, approaching him costs you the first AP. Due to heavy movement penalities even small distances are AP-heavy for melees...

WOOS
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Originally Posted by Mikus

Yes, you should. If you stand too far from an enemy, approaching him costs you the first AP. Due to heavy movement penalities even small distances are AP-heavy for melees...

No - I didn't make clear that during the same battle, and against the same enemy, attacks that at first cost 3AP later - although nobody moved in the meantime - cost 4AP. So it looks like a bug.

veteran
veteran
It seems to be a bug. I've had this problem occur post-launch with Madora. She had not moved for several turns, and the only debuff she had on her was "wet". And yet it cost her 5 AP to swing her weapon (instead of 4) from a stationary position for most of the battle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Noticed the same thing on multiple occasions.
Sometimes an attack from the same char against the same enemy when both did not move goes from 3 to 4 AP. Can't say if there's anything particular happening before (say if the enemy got knocked down, or did move an un-noticeably small way).

Link Copied to Clipboard