Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brewman
If the main character was silent I would be exstatically overjoyed.
Same

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Hmm I was thinking again about what might have been debated at the very beginning. In BG 1 & BG 2, there was only the classic adventurer-hero route. Sure, you could make evil decisions up to a certain point in-game, but in terms of the main story, you really only ever destroyed the bad guys and were hailed as a hero. What if Baldur's Gate 3 breaks that tradition, which is very possible with the tadpole and knowledge we currently have about it, is much more aligned and supportive of an evil plot route. What if Baldur's Gate 3 can be played in addition to the hero route leaning towards Obsidians "Tyranny"? That would indeed be a surprise for all those who are toying with the murder hobo route. And yes the current criticisms about missed EA opportunities of a murder hobo style may have been intentional as it is still to remain a secret.

veteran
veteran
I have seen something ...

Wolfheart was in his last stream talking about how great is this game looking and mentions that some developer from larian commented on that with words: "You haven't seen anything yet!"

Also ... there is this comparaion of curent and release Spectator:
https://m.youtube.com/@JibunFade
(You have to go on comunity tab ... it dont let me on my phone for some reason.)

In last trailer (the one with Ketheric Thorm) we also see something that looks like part of Nautiloid ... but it wasnt in EA

So ...
Maybe the big secret is the amount of differences between EA and 1.0

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by virion
Day and night cycle. That's what he's referreing to. 100%.
No way it's not about it.
I know there’s a good chance you weren’t being serious, but for context here’s why this type of reveal is unlikely: ask yourself “Why in the hell would they need to keep it secret if that was a feature they were adding to the game?”.
This would be advertised to hell and back as a feature.

I’m afraid that the people suspecting some “meme stuff” are a lot more close to nailing what Swen would promote as a big, exciting surprise.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
After more thought I'm now convinced it's some ridiculously OP crafting system that allows you to make bombs from a piece of string and some plant that grows everywhere. Or combine potions to make some inane haste+heal+bless aoe bombs.

Surely the crafting system of 5e needs to be fixed since it's not broken.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by 1varangian
After more thought I'm now convinced it's some ridiculously OP crafting system that allows you to make bombs from a piece of string and some plant that grows everywhere. Or combine potions to make some inane haste+heal+bless aoe bombs.

Didn't Larian state that they would keep crafting very tame in the past?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by snowram
Originally Posted by 1varangian

Didn't Larian state that they would keep crafting very tame in the past?

The point of these posts is to passive aggressively throw shade on Swen and Larian. Don’t take them at face value.

B
B
I would prefer if we could keep crafting to a minimum. Why did it become a neccessity instead of a fun gimmick? I find it tedious and I would really appreciate if I could fully ignore it without having to suffer for it.

L
addict
addict
L
I expect potions at least-Larian has put a lot herbs, crystals and flowers etc in-game that could work very well for thar role. I'm not expecting something like NWN2's armor/weapon crafting system though.

Originally Posted by Tahapenes
There's still quite a few that WotC is talking about. Guallidurth, the city under the Calim desert, isn't much bigger than Menzo in 5E time frame (only about 50% larger), but was much larger than Menzo in the past. But both still pale in comparison to the city that is under Thay (can't find the name of it) which at it's height was well over 100k Drow and about 500k slaves (Menzo at it's largest was around 20k Drow and 60k to 70k slaves and Guallidurth was around 80k, not sure if that's combined or just drow).

And the other two "Drow" groups I really wouldn't consider Drow as the one is the Starlight Elves (northern group) and I can't remember what the southern one is, but the southern one is closer to that of Green/Wild Elves (which the Drow were originally Green Elves) and are more like Wood Elves in mentality. The Lolthsword Drow are by far the largest group that remains of the "Green" Elves.

Drow being originally Green Elves is not exactly 100% canon. If you take the Lady Penitent series to heart, then yeah maybe you could interpret that way since they have both been describe in similar physical terms IIRC. But Drow/Green Elves being their own separate subspecies distinct from the Green Elves has ample precedence before and after that series. Plus the whole 'Curse of Ham' thing with the literal blood taint that particular series decided to run with made lots of people uncomfortable at the time and absolutely would not fly today.

Have WOTC talked about any non-Menzo cities post the whole Udadrow/Aevendrow/Lorendrow debacle? Their new history/definition of the drow leaves very little wiggle room to interpret vast sprawling underdark cityscapes spread around Toril. The wording they use makes it clear that Menzo=udadrow and that the Lorendrow/Aevendrow are the 'good' equivalents to that city state. Note stuff like the Lorendrow being an open surface-dwelling city in southern Faerun that doesn't try to hide but is safe from the Spider Queen because of it's *geographical distance* from Menzoberanzan. Which makes no damn sense if cities like Guallidurth or the nation of Dambrath were canon, because Southern Faerun is(was) an absolute bastion of ancient and powerful drow holdings. It's also 100% clear in the new canon that the Lolth-worshipping drow originate from Menzo, and it was Lolth's fault for tricking them underground (specifically to found Menzo) rather than the Crown Wars origin. Menzo is only a few thousand years old btw, which mean drow as we know them are basically a blip on the radar in terms of FR history now.

addict
addict
I’ve seen enough of Sven to think he is a simple man (good thing) who gets excited over things like shiny armor and cheese!

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 19/05/23 07:13 PM.
veteran
veteran
The only mechanical thing I can think would spur this kind reaction from Swen would maybe be the world map. It's something that would be revealed relatively early and would far exceed most people's expectations based on the EA

addict
addict
. The only mechanical thing I can think would spur this kind reaction from Swen would maybe be the world map. It's something that would be revealed relatively early and would far exceed most people's expectations based on the EA
I'm liking this.
Would be great to get a peak and idea of the general world lore with the map. Something that is dreadfully missing in this EA of a game, a firm Faerun lore foothold to get us involved in this world. I am not immersed when I play BG3, well not as much as I would like to be.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 20/05/23 05:46 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Brewman
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
Originally Posted by fallenj
Fully voiced custom character.
IIRC fully voiced main characters were a thing in the early datamines, but afaik the idea was dropped. Never say never though I guess?
If the main character was silent I would be exstatically overjoyed.

In this game, I'd rather have a fully voiced one, the close ups mime shots are strange. Ya, I heard the same about it being dropped, would be a lovely surprise if it wasn't though, well see.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Overall, my bet is that what Sven is indicating is likely how everything ties back to the situation with BG1 and BG2. It's pretty much a given that with how the various DoS games have eluded to, the protagonist(s) end up saving the world in some way, either becoming guardians (DOS) or setting someone up as the guardian (your protagonist, one of your companions, the antagonists - DOS 2), so I see the same kind of thing happening with BG3 (even in BG2:ToB you had the option to either let the antagonist take the power, keep the power for yourself, or let the power disperse). Same situation setup I see going here with BG3 where Larian re-hashes their typical endings from DOS 1 and/or 2.

Originally Posted by Leucrotta
There's still quite a few that WotC is talking about. Guallidurth, the city under the Calim desert, isn't much bigger than Menzo in 5E time frame (only about 50% larger), but was much larger than Menzo in the past. But both still pale in comparison to the city that is under Thay (can't find the name of it) which at it's height was well over 100k Drow and about 500k slaves (Menzo at it's largest was around 20k Drow and 60k to 70k slaves and Guallidurth was around 80k, not sure if that's combined or just drow).

And the other two "Drow" groups I really wouldn't consider Drow as the one is the Starlight Elves (northern group) and I can't remember what the southern one is, but the southern one is closer to that of Green/Wild Elves (which the Drow were originally Green Elves) and are more like Wood Elves in mentality. The Lolthsword Drow are by far the largest group that remains of the "Green" Elves.

Drow being originally Green Elves is not exactly 100% canon. If you take the Lady Penitent series to heart, then yeah maybe you could interpret that way since they have both been describe in similar physical terms IIRC. But Drow/Green Elves being their own separate subspecies distinct from the Green Elves has ample precedence before and after that series. Plus the whole 'Curse of Ham' thing with the literal blood taint that particular series decided to run with made lots of people uncomfortable at the time and absolutely would not fly today.

Have WOTC talked about any non-Menzo cities post the whole Udadrow/Aevendrow/Lorendrow debacle? Their new history/definition of the drow leaves very little wiggle room to interpret vast sprawling underdark cityscapes spread around Toril. The wording they use makes it clear that Menzo=udadrow and that the Lorendrow/Aevendrow are the 'good' equivalents to that city state. Note stuff like the Lorendrow being an open surface-dwelling city in southern Faerun that doesn't try to hide but is safe from the Spider Queen because of it's *geographical distance* from Menzoberanzan. Which makes no damn sense if cities like Guallidurth or the nation of Dambrath were canon, because Southern Faerun is(was) an absolute bastion of ancient and powerful drow holdings. It's also 100% clear in the new canon that the Lolth-worshipping drow originate from Menzo, and it was Lolth's fault for tricking them underground (specifically to found Menzo) rather than the Crown Wars origin. Menzo is only a few thousand years old btw, which mean drow as we know them are basically a blip on the radar in terms of FR history now.

Thing is, they're still keeping a fair amount of Greenwood's world information. Afterall, they backtracked on the lore and happenings of 4E (killing all the Drow gods off except for Lolth and Ghaunaduar since it's more than a Drow god) which lends a lot to keeping various information found in the *Drow of the Underdark* from both 2E and 3E/3.5E. If you go back through that information, which WotC hasn't completely gone off the deep end like Disney did, can still go back on the old information and pull it forward and that old information does point specifically at Green Elves becoming the Drow when they were fighting against the Gold Elves when the Gold Elves almost destroyed some of the other Elven sub-groups. In order to fight back, the Green Elves turned to Lolth and demons to fight back against the Gold Elves even though the Seldarine also were fighting against the Gold Elves as well and assisting the other Elven sub-groups. Because of the tactics of the Green Elves and the overall destruction that was happening to the Elves overall and the fact that the Gold Elves were willing to return to the Seldarine even though it was there actions that lead to the war between all the Elves that the Seldarine then cursed the Green Elves turning them into the Drow and left the Drow with only the option of continuing to follow Lolth and thus went underground into the Underdark.

The other thing to realize is that WotC with 5E have really limited the scope of Toril that they actually talk about with it centering around the Sword Coast area of Faerun and not really dealing with other areas. It's known that there's a very large above ground Drow populus out in the Dalelands. Though, because WotC is concentrating on the Sword Coast, that isn't brought up in 5E much. WotC would rather try to push in MtG settings into D&D instead of using the existing world settings they have access to. So I wouldn't say that it's really WotC changing things around a lot, but instead ignoring what is out there already (this is why if you go to *Dungeon Master's Guild*, you'll find a lot of written material for 5E from Ed Greenwood and others for the Faerun setting outside of the situation in the Sword Coast).

enthusiast
enthusiast
In the early days, right after the first trailer dropped, all I remember is the discussion centered around BG2's unfinished quest involving the Illithids in the sewers under the Temple District. And that quest's connections with truncated Jan Jansen's quest-line involving the Hidden.Everyone seemed to think Larian was planning to play off the loose threads as one way to connect BG3 to the previous installments.Who knows really? But, I imagine that it's something story related, otherwise there's no need to be too secretive.

L
addict
addict
L
*snip*
I'm aware of the Drow's previous history, you don't need to recite back to me the entire history of the Crown Wars and the Descent, lol. If you read other sourcebooks and novels though, the definitely distinguish between the dark elves and the green elves both culturally and physically. And the nature of the curse is more ambiguous with other authors as well. Some sources suggest that the drow were never transformed at all.

The thing about welcome moderate rollback of the awful ideas of 3e/4e (killing the Dark Seldarine off, for one) is that this occurred at the start of 5e, and the more recent drow changes came after that and supersede that. So when WoTC says udadrow come from Menzoberranzan, that udadrow are defined as the Lolth-worshipping drow of the underdark, that Menzoberranzan was founded by an isolated cult only a few thousand years ago and imply that most drow never followed and still don't follow Lolth, when the descriptions of the new non-lol-worshipping city states conspicuously ignore the existence of pre-established drow enclaves and populations of both lolth-worshipping and non-lolth-worshipping drow, I don't think it's a matter of WoTC's typical attitude of just not being interested in fleshing out areas of the Realms. They merely rewrote the entirety of drow culture without regard to prior canon-and their new canon views the drow as being divided into three flavors easily defined by their association with a specific city-state. There is no question that the Drow's role as villains has shrunk. And that's not even getting to the metaplot stuff with the revolution in Menzo, or how even before the recent retcons, there was precious little outside of the return of the Seldarine that was actually meaningfully repaired (all the cities destroyed in the War of the Spider Queen+4e were still gone)

As for Greenwood and the DMG, nothing he posts on his patron, his youtube, or anything he publishes on the DMG is strictly canon, as far as WoTC treats it. He's a superb world-builder, but I haven't seen much indication pretty much since 5e launched that he's still part of their creative team in any meaningful way/ Much less whatever Larian is cooking up.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by virion
Day and night cycle. That's what he's referreing to. 100%.
No way it's not about it.
I know there’s a good chance you weren’t being serious, but for context here’s why this type of reveal is unlikely: ask yourself “Why in the hell would they need to keep it secret if that was a feature they were adding to the game?”.
This would be advertised to hell and back as a feature.

I’m afraid that the people suspecting some “meme stuff” are a lot more close to nailing what Swen would promote as a big, exciting surprise.
Yes, meme stuff is more likely.
I wasn't being serious 100%, but a part of me wants to believe it.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Based on a certain thing that was dropped here a while ago, which, to be far, could have been just an independent artist's own creation, I have a suspicion that the "surprise" could be...

...Sarevok and whatever role he plays in the story. The "certain thing" would be a render of him an artist shared on the forum, with a detail of him shaving his goatee in the ~125 years that have passed between games. Given that the guy's been through Hells and back and has probably found a way to keep himself going even if Bhaal's essence was taken from him, I'd say that he's probably just as fit as he was in his twenties.

All speculation, obviously, but if it's indeed him, I really hope they got Kevin Michael Richardson on board. He has gotten older too, so his voice would fit an older Sarevok perfectly. And re-evoke BG1's narrator, Angry Druid, and Friendly Nobleman that he also voiced.

...or it could just be references to the Bhaalspawn and maybe even an ability to "customize" them in a KoTOR 2 fashion where you picked Revan's gender and Force side in a conversation early on. Could use Volo and his lack of credibility for that, so it doesn't turn into Jaheira and Minsc having memory issues about their famous lover/friend?

veteran
veteran
It might just be something like: Withers is *actually* Jergal!

That's something they'd want to wait for folks to know, and it was a big speculation point back around day one.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JandK
It might just be something like: Withers is *actually* Jergal!

That's something they'd want to wait for folks to know, and it was a big speculation point back around day one.

Then the Grand Arbiter he mentions is Ao, which makes sense. But if he supports us at the behest of Ao himself, that's also an imposant plot that should live up to the rest of the implementation. That would be a very high claim from Larian, against which they then have to be measured themselves. I mean it's a strange feeling to somehow be in the favor of not just any god, but Ao himself. Very bold.

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 24/05/23 04:52 PM.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard