Originally Posted by LordCrash
Good point, but it's a little bit different with books. It's a different feel while consuming the product. You don't hold a video game disc in your hand while playing. It's bascially just a data storage but the actual experience is the same. You couldn't say the same for books. While the content is the same, the usability and the feeling while experiencing it can be different.

And for D:OS: my local Gamespot store doesn't even sell the game in discs here in Germany. At least I haven't seen a single copy so far.

If I remember correctly Swen himself stated that only about 10-15% of their sales are generated by physical versions. That is not dead, but it's also far from being alive and striving... wink

That's true. I can only add that I believe as soon as convenient service for printing your own box and burning DVD of owned (bought digitally) game pops out boxed versions are dead for good, as those wanting it would be able to get their shiny boxez - and even more to that - customized from let's say a default template which could be provided by game dev/publisher. Now it's too much of a hassle for many and it's kinda unprofessional way of doing it. That's at least how I feel about it.

Seek your own truth. Always.