Originally Posted by Morcrist
I find it perfectly within the realm of reason that blackjacks aren't allowed to backstab. After all, it's an ability that allows you to do double damage by stabbing someone in the back. Aside from the literal fail of using a blunt instrument to "stab" someone, there is the additional fail of not being able to stab someone in the kidney with a bag of rocks.

I mean, any way you look at it the only thing you're possibly doing with a blackjack is knocking someone on the head. The whole point of the backstab ability is to reflect the user's skill at finding a weak spot on the target's back side. There's a word for it...I can't remember. Points around the body...pressure points?

Anyway, /rantoff. I'm happy with it being limited to piercing weapons. It bothers me a LITTLE that you can use rapiers...kind've should be limited to knives and daggers if you ask me.

But the blackjack...it should offer the chance to knockdown an opponent. I know you can mod that onto an item, but I wonder if you can make it have a greater chance to knockdown from BEHIND. That would probably be way more in line with what you're asking as far as game mechanics versus realism. At least OMO!

Take care.

The "stab" in game terms is pure semantics, really. The entire point is that you are attacking someone from behind, which is precisely what you'd use blackjacks to do from the beginning.

And no, you're not really looking for pressure points to stab; backstabbing (as in, literal weak-spots) someone is all about piercing weak spots, main arteries, etc.

I really like the idea of knockdown instead of added damage on blackjacks, in theory, but in practice, CC is king in D:OS. Blackjacks having a chance to knockdown would suddenly make them insanely powerful compared to daggers (even if the knockdown is only 1 round), and if you scale the chance of it happening down, it'd be undependable and wonky, random, and thus underpowered (no guaranteed utility).

The easiest solution is to really to just assign backstab damage to blackjacks, with the rationale that you are hitting sweet spots, different or often the same sweet spots as a dagger or knife, meaning head, neck, kidneys.

I can think of other ideas, but they'd require a lot of work on the dev side in comparison, which is why I'd suggest just sticking to this.