Originally Posted by Madscientist
snip

You misunderstand.

First - I said they are well regarded for *specific* things, not the whole package. By well-balanced systems I mean combat, exploration and itemization complement each other. NOT combat/build balance. I just gave examples from the video game medium, but everything I say is also taken from art in general.

Second - we already have good examples of movies/games/books to examine and analyze, and making mistakes because we don't learn from other, better examples, or pieces which AREN'T done right is backwards. What you or I think of them has no bearing whatsoever on their intrinsic value. A Beethoven sonata is not diminished by you not liking it.

Third - *I* don't regard them as anything. What constitutes good art is determined by consensus of informed in all aspects of it people and is backed by arguments based on philosophy, technical skill, context and previous art. It isn't by personal preference or narcissistic leanings. Just like science is taken into consideration and circulation only after peer reviews, which you, being a scientist, should know. Subjectivity has *nothing* to do with either.