Originally Posted by Madscientist
Lacrymas, what do you meant by ludonarrative dissonances when you talk about strongholds in RPGs?

If I understand the (very short ) wikipedia article correct, it means that the game story wants you to do something and the game mechanics force you to do something else.

At the moment I do not remember a good example for that. The Article refers to Bioshock. I have played the game but I quit after some time because it was boring. Maybe it is not a bad game, but I played System Shock2 before and Atlas is pathetic compared to Shodan.

It's basically when the story and the gameplay *contradict* each other. For example you are running from something (source hunters), but you somehow find (unlimited) time and shelter in this stronghold you now have. :p GTA IV - you leave your country (Romania, I think) to escape a life of crime and violence and go to America, where you start living a life of crime and violence. A recent example is Watch_Dogs where the lead character is a vigilante, but actively mows down crowds of innocent people with a car. DA:I - you are the head of an important organization, but are forced to do menial MMOish type tasks :p etc. etc.

What he proposes won't necessarily lead to ludonarrative dissonance, but it's very easy to do exactly that. If you haven't noticed, RPG fans are like a rabid pack of hungry wolves and will latch onto whatever disconnected or badly written piece of RPG you give them. They do have their reasons though :p

EDIT: Actually, the most gratuitous recent examples are Tomb Raider and the Uncharted games. Lara is portrayed as a scared civilian who went into a mini-nervous breakdown when she killed a man in a cutscene, but was savagely murdering everyone else. That's why I call her Lara "Genocide" Croft. Drake was portrayed as a somewhat charismatic every-man, but he was proficient in a number of highly specialized fire arms (in gameplay) and his first instinct when he grabbed an enemy was to kill, instead of incapacitate.

Last edited by Lacrymas; 23/09/15 09:35 PM.