Originally Posted by Lacrymas
Originally Posted by LordCrash

You still lack the explanation why it should be serious music after all. What's the benefit?

And I'm also quite curious WHY Arcanum's soundtrack was serious.

I never said it should be, I said it *can* be. I was explaining why most movie/video game soundtracks sound the same and what can be done to make them not sound the same.

Actually you never did so (the latter part). You don't have to study musical theory to know that many soundtracks especially for fantasy topics sound pretty similar. But you go one step further, you say that this is bad (otherwise you wouldn't insist so much on the topic) and I still want to know why. Why do you want different music? Just because it's different? Because it's more professional? Because you don't like the sound in general? I mean, why?

You know, personally, my most important wish for music in media (means music that supports other elements in audio-visual media which is pretty much the usual definition of music made for movies or video games) is that it gets to me on an emotional level. I don't care whether the music is serious or not or whether it sounds similar to other soundtrack as long as it fulfils this purpose, to deepen then emotional experience I have while playing a game.

Arcanum's soundtrack is serious music because it follows directly from string quartets of western classical music (which is the majority subset of what is considered serious music). Though it is, of course, way more complicated than that, but going into technical details is daunting for people not formally educated in music. Just to remind you - there is no negativity attached to any part of the folk, serious and popular musics triangle.

Well, there is definitely some kind of bias involved in this. Otherwise you wouldn't mention it that often. And then again, the question still stands: why do you want the music for DOS to be serious. You said it "can" be. But why? What's the benefit?

WOOS