Originally Posted by gGeo
In a tabletop RPG players often comes with their own ideas of a guest like "lets burn a pub and rape a waitress". Good dungeon master then, prepares ad-hoc quest.

Perhaps this means I'm a terrible dungeon master, but I have to say I agree with DayVlad73 (with less hyperbole). I find this kind of mindless violence (sexual or not) rather tasteless.

When I sit down to play an RPG, I'm not in the mindset of wanting to play a random murder simulator, and I really can't relate to anyone who plays Divinity in the mindset of "Let's rape, pillage and slaughter this entire innocent village because evil" and gets frustrated when this option is not available (although the cheese merchant does make murder a little tempting).

I think that the "kill everyone and still be able to finish the game" started as a philosophy that was supposed to be about freedom with what limited mechanics the games originally had. But now it simply reinforces that violence is the only mechanic that matters. The only choice that has been expressed as a fundamental philosophy is the choice to kill anything you want.

I really don't think this philosophy needs to be on a pedestal.