"I thought it was pretty obvious, especially give the context of the first half of the post."

It wasn't obvious, because you framed your response by alluding to my meaning in a previous post( 3pts. vs. 20 does nothing to encourage or discourage planning ahead) as the context. You didn't create any independently clear context, and I did a good job interpreting my own.

You could cite the evidence that 3 points leads to better planning ahead than 10, I'd like that and it would make sense to post.

"However, it is hardly arbitrary to have basic skills cost 1 AP, intermediate 2 and advanced 3."

That is extremely arbitrary. It defies all context of the previous game that would indicate that there is more to effective use of skills than that. It collaterally leads to a lack of motivation for the player to plan movement optimally and the effective use of specific positioning.

"Considering that all of the internal testers and many of the public testers at PAX have played D:OS"

This seems good, and I'm pleased to hear that. I thought it might be more casul-centric testing. Divinity appeals to a specific subset; the turn-based rpg systems with position elements under the strategic control of the player (d:os and xcom) do not appeal to the generic gamer as much as I would like, and more importantly, the experience with the previous action point system (which is hands-down the coolest interface mechanic in an rpg I've ever experienced, and is largely why I favor conceptually the combat system in divinity) is crucial for criticisms to be applicative here.

"I didn't choose anything,"

You chose to justify a theory with a specific level detail in the example. I want to know why you think the analogous arbitration in the scope of the game interface leads to the choice of three points as detailed enough to satisfy.
Because the example was analogous, it is presumable that you have also chosen the three point system as theoretically a better level of detail than a finer grain system. This is a choice that you presumably have some rationale for making.

Last edited by theflightless; 01/07/16 02:37 PM.