Our late discussion has been a lot about handles and preventing waste of them.

So some additional questions already came up in my mind that have not even been discussed in this thread:

- does creating new items via script (Osiris and character/item scripts) or crafting use new handles even if the new item can be added to an existing stack ?
- does a treasure table entry with a minus (like 'new subtable "-10"') fill a stack without using a new handle if an item of that type still present in an NPC inventory ? (the reason why I ask this is that I do not understand the difference between 'new subtable "-1"' and 'new subtable "1,1"' which have the same effect but two different notations)
- does adding items (or parts of a stack) to the trade window already use a new (intermediate) handle ?
- do 'incomplete' objects use handles ? (those without assigned stats, decoration like bushes, walls, ... or a spawned mattress if I remove the stat; I might have to use pre-placed globals and move and SetOnStage() instead of spawning)
- do characters get their handles from the same pool as items ? (would affect summoning and spawning, other characters are pre-placed and hopefully never need to change handles ;-)

Even more questions might arise.

Most important:
If there is anything we can do to push the inevitable reaching of the limit further away without totally stripping the game of everything it currently has (like totally emptying most treasure tables), we shall attempt to do it. It would give us more freedom in mods.
(Well, Sniper is probably very far away from the limit because his standalone mod is way smaller than Main ;-)