Originally Posted by Raze
Originally Posted by twincast
You know, there was another RPG - one with fully voiced NPCs even - which also had player character origin stories as one of its major selling points and managed to handle full character customisation (given name, sex, and when appropriate also race) within those Origins just fine almost a decade ago...

How many dialogues, quests and NPC relationships were dependent on the origins?

I'm not arguing that it can't be done. Either there are restrictions on how it is done, or it is 10 times the work doing it in all possible combinations of race and gender.

You aren't seriously expecting me to go through all of DA:O's quests, are you? Anyway, a reasonable amount throughout, duh. Otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up. And with reasonably varying degrees of importance given by (N)PCs to sex, race, origin and/or a combination thereof. There was content (including whole origins) cut I am sad about it having gotten the ax, of course, but I can't remember a single time it felt like any part of the player character's background was unduly ignored in the finished (base) game. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)